Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 14,752 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving with my family to Chicago in about two months time. My husband will be working in Lombard area. We are looking for a SAFE and good public elementary school area. We also plan to buy a reasonable house under 400K. Will the following areas be a good choice for us and which one will be the best choice - Downers Grove, Wheaton, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, Naperville, Oak Brook (I've read mixed reviews about safety). Is any other area more advisable within 15 miles of Lombard.
Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
You'd have more luck posting this in the Chicago suburbs forum.

That being said I live in that area and all of those areas are perfectly safe. Not sure who told you Oak Brook is questionable on safety - it's one of the more sought after well regarded suburbs in the area.

400k may not get you particularly far in some of the villages you mentioned such as Hinsdale.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:05 AM

Default Safe neighborhood

Hi, I am moving with my family to Chicago in about two months time. My husband will be working in Lombard area. We are looking for a SAFE and good public elementary school area. We also plan to buy a reasonable house under 400K. Will the following areas be a good choice for us and which one will be the best choice - Downers Grove, Wheaton, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, Naperville, Oak Brook (I've read mixed reviews about safety). Is any other area more advisable within 15 miles of Lombard.
Thanx

Old 01-10-2008, 08:07 AM

331 posts, read 1,545,135 times
1. Naperville
2. Wheaton
3. Elmhurst
4. Hinsdale
5. Downers Grove
6. Oak Brook

Expect to pay more in Naperville and Elmhurst, well worth it though. Wheaton and Downers Grove also fit you criteria quite well. If you share liberal ideals, Wheaton can feel a bit suffocating, if you choose to get involved in the community.

A few long time residents of Oak Brook believe that it's took a few bad turns lately. Although somewhat exaggerated, it's partly true. Some blame it on a limited number of section 8 tenants, others say it's because of the influx of foreign-speaking home buyers(mostly Polish with some Lithuanians in the mix, it seems), who are moving in from the city. Regardless, it feels like a place in transition.

Hinsdale - you'll have pay more for less, imho. But, since I haven't been to Hinsdale but only a few times in recent years, and I'm acquainted with just one long-time resident, I'll leave this for others to answer.

By the way, Lombard itself is not bad at all. Sort of like Wheeling of the western burbs - parts of it are convenient and on par with other places, yet with a lower housing cost.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:32 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
There really is no crime problam to speak of in those areas. Minor crimes -maybe.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:31 PM

9 posts, read 51,730 times
Have you checked out Oswego?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Please move this thread.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:28 AM

137 posts, read 549,705 times
You can be confident that all the communities you've mentioned are considered SAFE communities. If you are moving a family make sure that you check out Naperville offering just about everything and anything for kids and adults. Check out Park District and Adult Nightlife There's plenty to do - ALWAYS. Naperville North & Central High Schools, Wheaton North and Hinsdale all recently ranked in the top 3% of high schools in the nation! So they are all good choices.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdevane View Post
You can be confident that all the communities you've mentioned are considered SAFE communities. If you are moving a family make sure that you check out Naperville offering just about everything and anything for kids and adults. Check out Park District and Adult Nightlife There's plenty to do - ALWAYS. Naperville North & Central High Schools, Wheaton North and Hinsdale all recently ranked in the top 3% of high schools in the nation! So they are all good choices.
Housing choices in Naperville or Hinsdale under 400-as the op posted was the price range ?..Limited in the other towns as well, but certainly more do able in Lombard/Downers vs N'ville /hinsdale.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:03 PM

Thanx you for all the information. I realize that 400K migt not be enough for Chicago and its suburbs and that it will considerably limit my choices. But my primary concern is a very good (if not the best) elementary school and a safe community for my children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs