Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,106 times

Advertisements

I am single, and looking for a cheap (ish) apartment close to my new job in Glendale Heights. I haven't heard the greatest things about GH, and would like suggestions on places to live.

If you know of specific apartments, please give me their names. I am moving from Georgia, and am not familiar with the area....at all.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for an apt, but I want to make sure I'm safe. Looking for middle ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,027,540 times
what's your budget? I personally would stay away from large complexes. You might be able to find something in Wheaton.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,106 times
Trying to put a budget together. I honestly haven't even started looking yet. I want to find out which areas to look in, first.

My apt here in Atl is $750. I'm sure I can't get one that cheap in IL. I expect a higher cost of living adjustment.

I'm just looking for areas to live that will provide a short commute to my job in Glendale Heights.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:56 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,027,540 times
Wheaton is right next to Glendale Hts and has a very cute downtown. I used to work with a woman who rented the 2nd floor of a 2-flat on a quiet residential street there. I can't remember how much she paid, but you can probably find some listings on craigslist. Glen Ellyn is also a great town with a nice downtown. I found this Cozy apt. with Skylight, Pantry & vaulted ceilings, 3 blocks to Town (http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/apa/2255589935.html - broken link) for what you're paying now. I'm not sure what the local papers are there, somebody might chime in.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:08 PM

39 posts, read 157,045 times
Deer Glen in Bloomingdale. Reasonable prices, nice neighborhood. We have a couple friends who lived there for 9 years (moved out only because they're expecting and want a home). My husband has an old friend from high school whos mother still lives there!

Old 04-22-2011, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,231 times
I've lived in GH my entire life. Get an apartment at Fordham Glen or Glendale Lakes apartment complexes in GH. A 1 bedroom should cost around $800 and are extremely safe. The apartments at stonegate blow(small,crowded,wanna be gang bangers). Wheaton is pretty gay...only 1 bar in the downtown. If you do not personally make at least 80K don't move to glen ellyn the downtown bars are small and most of the people are snobs. If you like diverse foods stay in GH many good authentic asian,indian,mexican,greek spots. GH had a gang problem in the 90's and some parts are bad but the apartments mentioned above are pretty safe. GH has a couple townie low priced bars and shark city bar is huge and packed on thursdays ($1) beer...Most people think GH is ghetto because it has a large mexican,indian,vietnemese, and filipino community. Being that you from atlanta im sure you're used to diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs