Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:39 PM

7 posts, read 26,432 times

Advertisements

hi all

I'm Patricia and new in this forum.
I'm moving into Waukegan area due to my new job soon. But, my problem is that it's my first time living in the area even in the country. So, I would like to get some advice about where to live. I've heard that Waukegan is a rather quite city/suburb.
I would like a near by, lively and walking distance groceries/shops area, if it is possible near the train route for commuting to Waukegan.
I've been told that Evanston is an university city, so I thought it could be better to live there. Do you have any other suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

Patricia R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,637,955 times
Hi Patricia and welcome to the states.I would definitly avoid living in Waukegan,many of here will agree with that.There are a few decent areas,but just a few.It is a troubled city for the most part and many parts are not very 'quiet".Evanston would be an excellent choice,Its vibrant,great neighborhoods,on the lake,Northwestern University and an easy quick trip to Chicago.The commute to Waukegan could be done by metra I think,,but Waukegan has a ways to go before many people will recommend it to live.The plus side would be affordable housing,but if you enjoy walking around ,,Evanston would be better

Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 AM

thanks nanannie for the piece of information.
I've talked to some people who are already in Waukegan and the share your opinion about the area.
I've heard that another surburb where I could be living is Gaurnee, the problem I see is transportation. Because I dont have driving license and I dont think there's a train link to Waukegan. But from Evanston there's a train with Metra as you said.
I've copied the list of train stations from Evaston to Kenosha, could you tell me if any other suburb is good for living? I know that i should avoid living in North Chicago beacuse of its crim rate.

Thank u, once again.

Kenosha
Winthrop Harbor
Zion
Waukegan
North Chicago
Great Lakes
Lake Bluff
Lake Forest
Fort Sheridan
Highwood
Highland Park
Ravinia
Ravinia Park
Braeside
Glencoe
Hubbard Woods
Winnetka
Indian Hill
Kenilworth
Wilmette

Old 07-27-2007, 01:59 AM

3 posts, read 11,245 times
Patricia,

Where will you be working in Waukegan? I'm a native of the area (but on my way to Maryland) as you see by the name. One thing to consider is whether you have children, etc? Waukegan schools have gone downhill. My daughter was a freshman this past year and I beat feet getting her out of Waukegan. I now live in Zion, but that's not much better. Therefore, I'm moving to Maryland where it's greener & the schools are better.

Either way, we do have the metra...but also Pace Bus. There may well be a route from Gurnee (where there is plenty of shopping, malls, restaurants, etc) to Waukegan where you'll be working. Let me know where you'll be working and I'll see if I can help you figure it out! Honestly, anything south of Great Lakes or West of Waukegan should be fairly decent.

~Rinney

Old 07-27-2007, 04:39 AM

Hi Rinney

Thank you for your help.

I'll be working for Waukegan schools, more precisely at Lyon elementary school.
Could you tell me why Waukeganschools have gone downhill?

Patricia

Old 07-27-2007, 08:00 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,637,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriruipe View Post
thanks nanannie for the piece of information.
I've talked to some people who are already in Waukegan and the share your opinion about the area.
I've heard that another surburb where I could be living is Gaurnee, the problem I see is transportation. Because I dont have driving license and I dont think there's a train link to Waukegan. But from Evanston there's a train with Metra as you said.
I've copied the list of train stations from Evaston to Kenosha, could you tell me if any other suburb is good for living? I know that i should avoid living in North Chicago beacuse of its crim rate.

Thank u, once again.

Kenosha
Winthrop Harbor
Zion
Waukegan
North Chicago
Great Lakes
Lake Bluff
Lake Forest
Fort Sheridan
Highwood
Highland Park
Ravinia
Ravinia Park
Braeside
Glencoe
Hubbard Woods
Winnetka
Indian Hill
Kenilworth
Wilmette
I would avoid the top 5,but I would say they are a bit better then Waukegan.The others are really nice,but spendy.Great Lakes is a base,not sure what else is there

Old 07-27-2007, 08:35 PM

Hi Patricia,

I just know how it is to be moving into foreign land! I've done quite a bit of research on Maryland but there's nothing like getting "first hand" accounts.

Now, my response to why the schools have gone downhill is but an opinion of mine....(so anyone reading) don't take it personally. BUT, there has been, for a number of years now, an influx of families moving into Waukegan....schools are overcrowded and in my opinion, the kids who are "english-speaking" have somewhat been left in the balance because so much attention has to go towards esl programs and the like. I don't believe the district was prepared, therefore the kids have suffered in the areas of testscores, safety & overcrowdedness.

I've heard horror stories about the Freshman center...and refused to allow my daughter to go there. And mind you, I was born and raised here but it just isn't the same...

Either way, is Lyon still a magnet school? Lyon was always one of the better schools...but now having a highschooler, I haven't done much research on the grade schools and don't know where it stands. Will you be teaching?

Also, here is the website for the local bus service. Pace Bus - A Fresh Approach to Public Transportation

Hope this info helps!

Old 07-28-2007, 05:36 AM

Hi Rinney

It's always good to have information from the parents' size. Yes, I'll be teaching in K-5 at Lyon school. As far as I know it's a magnet school.
I do understand your concerns regarding the overcrowdedness, it is true that the teacher can pay as much attention to every single child as she/he would like to.

Being yourself native of the area, could you tell me which areas are good for looking for accommodation?

Thank you for the PACE link.

Patricia.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I would avoid the top 5,but I would say they are a bit better then Waukegan.The others are really nice,but spendy.Great Lakes is a base,not sure what else is there
Hi nanannie,

Do you know how much would it cost to rent approx an appartment in Evanston and Great Lake?

Thanx.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Hi Patricia,

Yes, as teachers you all have your hands full. I have to commend you as I know it is not always easy. You aren't regarded high enough in my opinion!!!

You asked about accomodations...(as in hotel)?? Or apartments? If you meant hotels, I'll tell you to stay in Gurnee. They have quite a few really nice hotels right on Grand Avenue. Let me know if I answered your question...or if you meant apts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs