Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 12,280 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of rumors, but can anyone shed some light on the status of Metra extending lines on the UP Northwest from Harvard or the line that goes out to Elburn? I hear Rockford, Beloit, Janesville.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 06:35 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,206 times
Default Chicago To Elburn

The Chicago to Elburn via the Union Pacific 'West Line' has already been built. Service started around February of this year. From Elburn, the stations include, Elburn, La Fox, Geneva, West Chicago, Winfield, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn and every town east of that to Chicago.
It is my 'dream' that the railroad service will eventually continue to De Kalb, the home of Northern Illinois University. However, that may take quite a few years into the future.
West of Elburn, there is no passenger railroad service. The Amtrak system goes through Earlville, IL - - quite a few miles south of De Kalb.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:08 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
There's talk of intiating Amtrak service to Rockford/Galena/Dubuque via Elgin. Apparently, theres a good chance this could actually happen within a few years.

Additionally, there are more preliminary plans to build the STAR line which will start in Rosemont, head up along I-90 to Barrington area, and then south through West Chicago and Naperville and terminate in Joliet. Its an attempt to get away from the hub and spoke model and facilitate suburb to suburb commutes. Who knows if and when this will be built.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
There are a lot of badly needed extensions proposed, but none of them will ever happen. It will be a small miracle if they can get enough money just to maintain there existing service.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Parameters For Dekalb Railroad Service

I spent the day visiting with my son in Cortland, IL. And for lunch, I visited the Mac Donalds restaurant that is across the street from the old railroad station in De Kalb. Although there may be another DeKalb station, the one I know about is at Lincoln Highway (IL-38) and sixth street. There are only two parallel tracks past that old railroad station. And since the frieght railroad traffic is very heavy all the way to Chicago, it would be difficult to assimulate a passenger system integrated into those two tracks. Another problem is that - - assuming NIU students and relatives as the main constituents - - that railroad station is approximately two or three miles east of the NIU campus. So does NIU extend its local bus routes to include a route to any future passenger rail service at that old station? It sounds very expensive like previous people have mentioned in this thread.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 08-04-2007, 11:00 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
I take it that you're from DeKalb? Do you commute to Chicago for work, or would you primarily use such a rail service (it was available) more for leisure trips into the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
The Chicago to Elburn via the Union Pacific 'West Line' has already been built. Service started around February of this year. From Elburn, the stations include, Elburn, La Fox, Geneva, West Chicago, Winfield, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn and every town east of that to Chicago.
It is my 'dream' that the railroad service will eventually continue to De Kalb, the home of Northern Illinois University. However, that may take quite a few years into the future.
West of Elburn, there is no passenger railroad service. The Amtrak system goes through Earlville, IL - - quite a few miles south of De Kalb.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:24 AM

Default More About Union Pacific System

My son lives in Cortland, IL and I reside in Wheaton. My son has taken the passenger trains between Wheaton and Elburn. I have lived in the Chicago area for about fifty years.
The new Elburn railroad station is not in the city of Elburn. The new station is in a corn field about 3/4 miles east of Elburn. One gets to that station by IL-47 south, then Kesslinger Road, east.
Personally, as my opinion, I don't expect that there would be much passenger service between De Kalb and Chicago - - for daily employment commuters who worked somewhere towards Chicago. The reason?
For employment, the tri-cities of DeKalb, Sycamore and Cortland seem self sufficient. In addition, the De Kalb to downtown Chicago distance is approximately 60 miles. If you want a very precise distance, then check MapQuest.
Anyone attempting to drive that distance prior to any future railroad service to DeKalb, would have a very difficult trip each day. As a guess, perhaps a three hour drive during rush hours?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 11,891 times
Default Oak Park to Dekalb

My girlfriend drives from Oak Park to NIU at DeKalb for work, it takes her about 1.5 hrs each way, much more if there is the slightest hiccup.

Having Metra out to DeKalb would be a dream come true for her.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
that would all be great, except many dekalb residents have strongly opposed a metra stop.

and while the STAR line would be nice...i dont see it happening in any of our lifetimes. at least not unless a new priority is placed on public transit. in the meantime, we'll keep wasting hundreds of millions on adding new lanes to highways under the delusion that its actually somehow going to alleviate congestion.

Last edited by via chicago; 09-18-2007 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 PM

90 posts, read 352,928 times
The rumors you hear are correct. Belvidere already has the plans approved and ready to rock. They are already in the process of re-vamping their downtown area to accommodate the line. There is also a "high density" area that will be developed right along I-90 across the street (to the south) from the Chrysler plant. This high density area will have a main terminal for the Metra that will include several shops in the main level with condos built on top. Belvidere will actually have two stops along the line with one being their "high density" area and the other being right in the downtown area.
This is the Big Timber line, which currently ends in Elgin. It will extend to the north, through Huntley and Marengo.

The long term plan is to have the same line extend all the way up to Madison WI. Of course, that's several years away though.

Here is a link to the drawing/diagram as to where the line will run.

Feel free to PM me for additional information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs