Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 01:56 PM

17 posts, read 17,992 times

Advertisements

What are the suburbs in chicagoland that offer great schools and have houses priced under 500K within walkable distance to Metra station?

I define walkable distance as 15 minutes measured by google maps. And for houses, lets say minimal family house - 3 bed\2 bath, 1200 sqft+, not updated but without major repairs needed.

I am trying to find good place for my family, but with both mine and my wife's jobs in the loop commute convenience is very important for us. We moved to Chicago (and USA) 5 years ago and don't know much about suburbs so any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 02:20 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
There are certainly some smaller homes in even very costly towns where you could absolutely be very close to the train and stay under $500k, the question will be which specific situation will offer the best compromises.

You could find a cute older home in Wilmette that is about 10-15 min walk from train -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wilmette/1.../home/13773367

Ditto for Hinsdale --
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/4.../home/18021264

Western Springs --
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Western-Sp.../home/14059242

LaGrange --
https://www.redfin.com/IL/La-Grange/.../home/14062196

Elmhurst --
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Elmhurst/1.../home/18112991

Glen Ellyn --
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Glen-Ellyn.../home/18136487

Wheaton --
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wheaton/42.../home/18130157

These are NOT all identical towns, some have better value for your housing dollar, some have shorter commute, some have better regarded schools. That said, you can start with this list to at least get a sense of what is achievable. Some will be surrounded by similar homes while others probably have mostly newer teardowns near by, that is also a factor to consider especially if you are not sure how long you'll be staying in the area...

Old 10-03-2016, 02:55 PM

17 posts, read 17,992 times
Thanks for reply!

We are looking for a long term home. Plan to stay ~20 years hopefully, so I hoped for something bigger, that has a potential to update. It looks like all these houses (except one in Wheaton and maybe Glen Ellyn) are not representative for what you can get in these cities. Wheaton is bit too far, so might be the same as driving to station in some closer suburbs.

We actually been to open house in LaGrange home. It is right by the tracks, living there will be unbearable with Metra bells ringing starting at 5 AM. Also has a terrible floor plan.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:38 PM

155 posts, read 213,300 times
Look at some near highland park. Or park ridge or mount prospect

Old 10-04-2016, 04:37 AM

768 posts, read 1,105,362 times
We live on spring in LG between both stations --- about 4 houses away from train track... there realy is very little noise and worth it when our daily walk to either sation is 5 minutes + another 5 minute walk from union to office - avg 30min door to door for us... hottest summer day or coldest winter day, still easy... We actually have a shorter, nicer and easier/friendlier commute then many friends living downtown... score ++ for the burbs!

We really don't notice the noise (your big concern) and no bells or horns go off... closer is really nicer for a long term happier short loop/work commute + this proximity protects your investment/helps it grow. Travel outside of public transportation will only get worse/more congested here (this is chicago!) and its alreadu hell, IMO...

Last edited by JJski; 10-04-2016 at 04:58 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 05:27 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Absolutely agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
We live on spring in LG between both stations --- about 4 houses away from train track... there realy is very little noise and worth it when our daily walk to either sation is 5 minutes + another 5 minute walk from union to office - avg 30min door to door for us... hottest summer day or coldest winter day, still easy... We actually have a shorter, nicer and easier/friendlier commute then many friends living downtown... score ++ for the burbs!

We really don't notice the noise (your big concern) and no bells or horns go off... closer is really nicer for a long term happier short loop/work commute + this proximity protects your investment/helps it grow. Travel outside of public transportation will only get worse/more congested here (this is chicago!) and its alreadu hell, IMO...
I have many friends that live very close to the BNSF tracks, one in particular is in a townhouse in Brookfield that fronts the tracks. I have to their home several times and there is surprisingly little train noise. While I am sure that folks would want to verify just how noticeable noise would be to them there are several reasons why noise is not too bothersome.

Generally speaking the only time locomotives use their horns is when there is true emergency, the rare car stuck on the tracks or something similar. Though commuter trains are quite numerous and they do have a bell that is designed to alert pedestrians to their approach the period they are active is rather narrow. Freight trains are significantly less numerous and generally move at a pace that is not so fast as to create any particular "rumble".

The BNSF track maintenance has been outstanding and that helps to minimize noise and vibration -- the material under the tracks is tightly packed and designed to keep the tracks stable, the tracks themselves are much more diligently attached than in a poorly maintained system, and the age / condition of the ties is very carefully monitored. The BNSF gets significant revenue from Metra, Amtrak and its own freight operations to ensure all aspects of maintenance are well funded...

The mostly solid construction of older homes along the BNSF helps keep noise outside. The relatively good health of trains and shrubbery helps to ensure that there are less reverberant surfaces than in areas with sparser vegetation. Plentiful grassy areas and the lack of massive viaducts similarly prevent any echo effects.

It would be untruthful to say "you will never notice the train noise" but even for those few homes that truly do front the tracks or have tracks end the end of their backyard the relative noise levels are tolerable by all but the most sensitive folks. The mix of frequencies is mostly low, nothing ever really 'screeches' they way that L trains seem to frequently make a racket. There are few automated recordings and the PA is setup so that even folks on the platform have to strain to hear any announcements.

For those with a budget and a desire to have the most convenient stroll to and from the train it is absolutely worth considering homes very near the tracks. If the issues with layout of the home might take a bit of remodeling buyers should know that such improvements tend to add lasting value -- both the functionality of the home will make it long term plus for the owners as well adding to its appeal down the road for other shoppers. Though such changes can be more involved / costly than cosmetic changes, so too do such changes outlast any 'design trends'. While I cannot say with certainty what sorts of costs may be incurred 'fixing' the layout issues of the specific house in LaGrange I do know many folks have been proactive in getting trusted contractors to help them develop an estimate and plan for renovations when evaluating potential home purchases. If that is done to coincide with a renovation mortgage, like a 203(k) or similar These Mortgages Pay For Home Renovations | Bankrate.com , shoppers may be pleasantly surprised to find that the process is fairly straightforward AND they far more quickly increase their equity compared to less involved projects.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:52 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,346,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongStrangers View Post
Thanks for reply!

We are looking for a long term home. Plan to stay ~20 years hopefully, so I hoped for something bigger, that has a potential to update. It looks like all these houses (except one in Wheaton and maybe Glen Ellyn) are not representative for what you can get in these cities. Wheaton is bit too far, so might be the same as driving to station in some closer suburbs.

We actually been to open house in LaGrange home. It is right by the tracks, living there will be unbearable with Metra bells ringing starting at 5 AM. Also has a terrible floor plan.
I strongly advise against swapping on-train-timedriving-to-train-time. First, on-train-time is comfortable, punctual, and productive... driving-to-train-time is stressful, variable, and unproductive. Second, you miss out on the many benefits of living a short walk from a vibrant core, and you will likely have to drive more overall... after work, weekend fun, library with kids, etc.

Downtown Wheaton Association
Downtown Wheaton Map

Wheaton is a wonderful town. I ride out of the downtown Wheaton Metra station -- my inbound is 42 min and my outbound train is 34. That's only slightly longer than inner-ring suburbs like Wilmette. I take advantage of every easy minute.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 10-04-2016 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 08:08 AM

748 posts, read 834,297 times
OP -

You will also find, in addition to the communities already listed, a good range of options in Downers Grove (Pierce Downer zoned, to be precise). Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and La Grange Park are also very good candidates.

If you're looking for something 'bigger' or a bit lot, Wheaton and Downers Grove would be the best bets.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:24 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,346,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
OP -

You will also find, in addition to the communities already listed, a good range of options in Downers Grove (Pierce Downer zoned, to be precise). Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and La Grange Park are also very good candidates.

If you're looking for something 'bigger' or a bit lot, Wheaton and Downers Grove would be the best bets.
Agreed, Downers has excellent Metra service, good schools and a very nice downtown area. Another good fit not yet mentioned is Arlington Heights.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,186,078 times
Where approximately in the Loop are your offices? Although Union and Ogilvie are only a few minutes apart walking, it may make some difference.

Also, there's only one outbound train to Wheaton as low as 34 minutes, which leaves Ogilvie at 5:04pm. The rest are 40 something minutes. Not that much different but something to look into depending on your actual work schedule and office location.

I'll second the towns listed by chet and amd. I'd also suggest adding Naperville to the list. There's probably some houses under $500k within a walk to the train. It's 32-36 minutes express trains. There's several inbound and outbound.

Here's something very close.

729 N Ellsworth St, Naperville, IL 60563 - Home For Sale & Real Estate - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs