Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times

Advertisements

I think people get way to hung up on useless MSA labor statistics. The bottom line is WI and IN residents don't live in Illinois, and their real estate taxes are not paid in Cook County. That residents from those states work and shop in Chicago doesn't carry any more weight than that of the Chicago residents who vacation in the Dunes or Door County.

One could just as easily say that Chicago is a suburb of Gary or of Milwaukee. The argument would hold just as much water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I think people get way to hung up on useless MSA labor statistics. The bottom line is WI and IN residents don't live in Illinois, and their real estate taxes are not paid in Cook County. That residents from those states work and shop in Chicago doesn't carry any more weight than that of the Chicago residents who vacation in the Dunes or Door County.
So the people who live in DuPage County are not suburbanites? The people who live in Hammond 1/2 a mile from Chicago are not considered suburbanites while people who live in eastern Elgin 30-some miles away are considered suburbanites? Your criteria are more arbitrary than the Census Bureau's. At least their reasoning and methodology has some rhyme and reason behind it.

Quote:
One could just as easily say that Chicago is a suburb of Gary or of Milwaukee. The argument would hold just as much water.
No one couldn't, and no it wouldn't. That's just such a preposterous thing to say that I don't even know how to respond to it.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Quote:
The bottom line is WI and IN residents don't live in Illinois, and their real estate taxes are not paid in Cook County.
Wait, hold on? So now it's not even Illinois suburbia outside of Cook County? So Dupage, Lake and Will counties aren't Chicago suburbia either? AND you've said before that even the part of Cook County south of 1-80 isn't Chicago suburbia??

And here I thought Chicago and its suburbs made up one of the largest metro areas in the country.. I think you just narrowed the land mass down to something even smaller than the Saint Louis area.

Quote:
That residents from those states work and shop in Chicago doesn't carry any more weight than that of the Chicago residents who vacation in the Dunes or Door County.
I wonder how many of these "Chicago residents" are actually suburbanites who live in an area that you're trying to claim isn't really Chicago suburbia.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone who is not an Illinois resident and does not enjoy the advantages of being an Illinois resident, does not live in an Illinois suburb. I think he/she is a Chicagoland resident.
No, they don't live in an Illinois suburb. They live in an Indiana suburb - a suburb of Chicago, Illinois.

It's kinda like how half of New Jersey is New York City suburbia.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
No, they don't live in an Illinois suburb. They live in an Indiana suburb - a suburb of Chicago, Illinois.

It's kinda like how half of New Jersey is New York City suburbia.
And the other half is Philly suburbia.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
The nice thing about debate is everyone can participate.

The nice thing opinions is everyone is entitltle to their own views.

The folks who do not live in Illinois do not pay real estate taxes in Illinois.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 PM

17,377 posts, read 14,618,966 times
Quote:

I do.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 PM

I live in Illinois. I don't pay real estate taxes. What on earth has real estate taxes got to do with anything relevant to what is and what is not a suburb?

It's one thing to have an opinion. It's another for that opinion to be defensible, or for that matter, make any kind of sense at all.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,099 times
Quote:
The nice thing about debate is everyone can participate.

The nice thing opinions is everyone is entitltle to their own views.

And how do you substantiate this last statement?

Old 06-04-2011, 03:51 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
It's Yes and No, Chicagoland is considered Chicago and its immediate suburbs, NWI and Southern Wisconsin so in that since yes they can be considered suburbs but the area is a consolidated Metropolitan area that combines Kenosha-Rachine, Chicago and Gary-Hammond MSAs into one gigantic area. So while Kenosha and Gary can each be considered a "suburb" of some sort to Chicago, they also stand on their own as well as primary cities with their own set of suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs