Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,474 times

Advertisements

Classes here are so cheap it's almost impossible to pass up on, but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the school. I'll probably go to Prairie State for two years, then Governor's for another two so I can continue to work and live at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,122,988 times
That's a great idea. I plan on doing the same thing. But the mere mention of a south suburban institution on this forum is bound to bring on 6 pages of trashing the place.

I've learned a lot from professors at Prairie State. It's a great environment for both learning and meeting people.. I have no idea what could be sup par about the school as far as community colleges are concerned. However, because it's in Chicago Heights, I'm sure someone on here has a few nasty things to say about it.

Last edited by urza216; 01-31-2011 at 01:08 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,852,951 times
Default Probably a smart move...

Frankly if more kids and parents gave more thought to what actually happens in college tuitions in general would probably be less outrageous.

The vast amount of high-end schools have huge endowments that the use to to lavish continual building efforts on the school. Smaller schools have nothing like that but many try to pull themselves into the ranks of prestigious schools by recruiting the better profs and high achieving students, then they try to charge regular students high tuition.

The actual "stuff" that kids learn in either school is very much the same, and even the vaunted "connections" don't really contribute to increased earning for most grads.

If you have some ability to break into the "big leagues" of any field on talent that is generally a better path than "connections" anyway.

If you can use some of the money saved to build a base for a first house in a nice area or pay for a good law school or something similar where acces to more talented profs really does pay off that is a better overall plan. Of course the temptation at some schools where the majority of students are already working is to try to fit in by taking a job that is not a good fit too soon or spending money onncars and such that will get you nowhere, so it takes extra effort tonuse those savings wisely...

Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,291,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorCollegeKid View Post
Classes here are so cheap it's almost impossible to pass up on, but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the school. I'll probably go to Prairie State for two years, then Governor's for another two so I can continue to work and live at home.
What will you be studying at Governer's State?

The reason I ask is that while doing student teaching, I encountered their education graduates and student teachers A LOT. And they were woefully unprepared and inadequate.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 AM

17,961 posts, read 15,006,717 times
Quote:
That's a great idea - I have a handful of family members who did the exact same thing and they're quite happy & reasonably successful. Two of them in particular now have their Masters in Accounting from GSU and one is now a CFO for a mid-sized company.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,933,986 times
I love PSC AND GSU.

Good choices.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
What will you be studying at Governer's State?

The reason I ask is that while doing student teaching, I encountered their education graduates and student teachers A LOT. And they were woefully unprepared and inadequate.
I haven't officially declared yet, but I plan to be a secondary education major. My career (heh) goal is to teach either English or History at the junior high or high school level.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,852,951 times
Default Crowded field...

Good luck with your preparation. You would be wise to distinguish yourself from the large numbers of people that are qualified for these fields.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:53 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,291,197 times
Quote:
I haven't officially declared yet, but I plan to be a secondary education major. My career (heh) goal is to teach either English or History at the junior high or high school level.

Have a really good look at their curriculum for education. Like I said, my experience with education majors at GSU was not good. I'm not sure if they have tweaked things at all within the last few years, but I would be very suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Good luck with your preparation. You would be wise to distinguish yourself from the large numbers of people that are qualified for these fields.
Pretty much this. I have a type 09 cert myself. I'm 'highly qualified' to teach social studies at junior high level. I graduated with a degree in English, which is equally useless.

It is so absolutely dire out there. There ought to be a moratorium on education programs in the state of IL, but you know that would never work.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,438,964 times
Default Wonderful! We need great teachers.

A Masters in Education is a desirable goal, and now I have a question. Regardless of your goal - do you have a back up plan if you cannot teach?
What will make you stand out above all other teacher applicants?

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs