Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:57 AM

829 posts, read 2,095,677 times

Advertisements

My choices would be as far as an affluent area (median household incomes over $100,000 a year), and that have larger homes sitting on over 1 acre (currently on the market), some currently at or around your price range, shorter driving distances or convenient train access to downtown. I would recommend long grove and kildeer in the northwest suburbs. And Flossmoor in the southern suburbs.

Last edited by allen2323; 12-19-2010 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 11:54 AM

2,165 posts, read 5,526,621 times
Default To the OP

Drive around Flossmoor and the surrounding areas and also drive around the areas the other posters have mentioned (in the north and northwest suburbs). Take note of the shopping in each areas, quality and upkeep of housing stock, amenities, access to Chicago, and try to get a feel if the neighborhood is right for you. Also, research the quality of the schools and districts in each area and take note of whether the schools/districts have negative or positive trends. Try to go to the schools your children would be attending in each area during a school day and tour them as well as all the schools in the district. Also, when looking for a house, find some comparables to make sure you are not overpaying for the neighborhood and research how the neighborhoods appreciate compared to one another.

Also, when researching crime stats to determine safety, also look into that of surrounding towns as well, and if possible, specific neighborhoods. If you are uncomfortable with anything that you see in a specific area, then do not move there. This is a big investment, and you want to make sure that it is an excellent one.

If you find some houses you are willing to make an offer on, try to meet some of the neighbors BEFORE putting in an offer.

My opinion: I personally would choose Barrington over Flossmoor. The schools are better overall, and in addition to safety, those are things I will not even make the slightest compromise on.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:04 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,104,693 times
The bottom line is that Flossmoor is a very nice place to live but your kid doesn't have to be raised in a great place like Flossmoor to turn out right. There are many many people who only WISH they could live in Flossmoor.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:45 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,657,094 times
I think a concern in the mentioned posts of the south suburbs, were some of the surrounding areas/suburbs around Flossmoor. Suburbs, as nice as some are, are not islands. I think Flossmoor itself is nice, but I wouldnt choose to live there.
Also, there are very few Black students in the Barrington School district . If the OP is African American, or prefers more diversity, that is something to consider.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:11 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,231,828 times
I was going to give reference to a south suburb, I'm glad I didn't b/c it has turn into another "don't move to the south burbs", schools and black folks. But w/e

OP,

There are so many option. Ok you have five-hundred grand to spend and wants some land at that. I'm goin to do something different and post some links and pics of homes in the 400k-500k price range.

Here we gooooo * Super Mario voice*

Location: Gurnee, IL( mmmm about an hour from the Chicago Loop), close to Wisconsin border. Main attraction is Six Flags Great America. That will be fun for the kids. Safe middle class suburbia, decent schools

2,500 sq. ft
$449,000
5 beds, 3 bathrooms

http://classic.coldwellbanker.com/imgs/2010/1216/168772468_1.jpg (broken link)
Search Results Coldwell Banker Real Estate LLC

House # 2

St. John, IN (30 miles from Chicago loop)

Price- $500k

2,686 sp. ft
5 beds, 3 baths, 1 half bath

http://classic.coldwellbanker.com/imgs/2010/0123/101402443_1.jpg (broken link)

House # 3

Riverwoods, IL( 25 miles from Chicago Loop in Southern Lake County). Very affluent village, median income is in the upper $100K+. Superb schools should be a given

Price- $500k
3,000 Sq ft

4 beds, 3 baths

1+ acre

http://classic.coldwellbanker.com/imgs/2010/0203/104149162_1.jpg (broken link)
http://classic.coldwellbanker.com/imgs/2010/0203/104149162_6.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-19-2010, 03:23 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,063,676 times
Another vote for Barrington. Certainly meets/exceeds the OP's requirements.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:00 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,674,541 times
come out this way in the kane county area. there are homes in sugar grove, elburn, western edge of st. charles and geneva that come pretty close to what you are looking for.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:00 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,657,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
come out this way in the kane county area. there are homes in sugar grove, elburn, western edge of st. charles and geneva that come pretty close to what you are looking for.
We still dont know what/where the employment commute is. Sugar Grove area might be 2 minutes or 2 hours away.
And I hope we didnt chase the OP away with the bickering and she decided to stay put.

I dont care for the South Suburbs. I married a south sider,had some great times there and know some wonderful folks from there, so nothing personal. I dont care how many people went to college, how much money certain suburbanites make or whos school district is better or worse.
I dont care for the whole look/feel/surroundings, it wasnt a "fit" for me. BUT, It certainly is for many. When you meet the town that is for you, it feels like home. Nice we have so many choices around Chicago.
We can argue and compare our favorite towns with statistics till next year, but if it doesnt have the ''feel'' it wont make for a happy home.

I also dont care for brussel sprouts, large crowds, country music or the Kardashians. But LOTS of people do. So, its just a personal preference and we all have them

Old 12-19-2010, 10:49 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,763,347 times
The Gurnee and Riverwoods homes are definitely overpriced. And Grayslake has better schools than Gurnee.

OP be sure to also look into property taxes when looking at your budget. You can get comparable homes at comparable prices in different suburbs and they can carry vastly different taxes.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:15 PM

49 posts, read 147,383 times
Thanks for so many responses. My husband would be working in downtown Chicago. Our family is all up here in Wisconsin, so I would prefer to stay north, northwest of Chicago just to help with drive back home and for visiting relatives.
Yes, the cost of living adjustment is scary. We would be fine with a half acre. I am just honestly overwhelmed at how expensive the houses are, and how little you get for your money in Chicago. This would be a hard change for us, and honestly I am not sure we could do it. We just really know absolutely nothing about the burbs of Chicago.
Any more advice would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs