Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 PM

16 posts, read 29,509 times

Advertisements

Hello,

1. Can you please advise which Chicago's suburbs are family oriented (mid. class) and lively same time, with low crime rate where the kids can actually play outside? Living close to a park where we can walk or ride bikes would mean a lot to us.
It would be nice if there is easy access to the public transport in case I get job closer to the city. 30-45min commute to the city with metro or train is acceptable.
Schools are very important but I read that it is very individually, that schools just few miles away may vary significantly so we'll work that issue when we get there.

We will move and rent but I prefer to buy single family house soon since you give the same money monthly for rent or mortgage. At this time we have no jobs so I don't know what will be the house budget. We'll have cash $160-180K (depending on how we'll sell the apartment here in Europe) that we can put as deposit and than pay the monthly rate. I believe we can look at houses that are around $300-350K.

2. I meet online a guy from my country who lives in Willowbrook. He said he likes the town. What is your opinion about this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,507,326 times
Default Lots to choose from...

I'll address your second question first, Willowbrook is a small suburb mostly sandwiched between Hinsdale, Burr Ridge and Darien. It is safe and mostly shares schools with other nice areas. It is fairly quiet. There are some condos and smaller homes that are probably in your price range as well as some larger / newer homes that would be above your range but still far more affordable than in towns like Burr Risge or Hinsdale. There are some larger rentals complexes near Willowbrook that I would probably advise against, but the better run apartments are fine.

Your first question is little harder in some ways becuase MOST of the suburbs in the region are VERY family oriented with LOTS of kid oriented parks, paths for walking / bicycle riding, low traffic streets/ big yards where kids are safe.. Pretty much all the towns in DuPage Co, NW Cook Co, Lake Co and even parts of the farther out counties like Kane, Will and McHenery that have Metra rail service to the Loop would be a good choice for folks likely to work in the traditional office oriented fields that are popular in the region. That said in some towns desirable towns in your price range are not plentiful. Some of the towns that do have homes in your price range might be older / need some updating. It is also a little tricky to deal with the "lively" term -- to some folks this might mean night spots while for others it simply means someplace that has a nice mix of places to eat and things to do with your family. If you like to head into bars or rock concerts there are far more options for that inside Chicago than the suburbs. Schools do vary considerably in quality. I often recommend that folks familiarize themselves with the best performing schools in the region and focus on trying to find the town that best meets their needs for budget / convenience.

Illinois Honor Roll Schools Academic Excellence

Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 AM

921 posts, read 1,097,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacnata View Post
Hello,

1. Can you please advise which Chicago's suburbs are family oriented (mid. class) and lively same time, with low crime rate where the kids can actually play outside? Living close to a park where we can walk or ride bikes would mean a lot to us.
It would be nice if there is easy access to the public transport in case I get job closer to the city. 30-45min commute to the city with metro or train is acceptable.
Schools are very important but I read that it is very individually, that schools just few miles away may vary significantly so we'll work that issue when we get there.

We will move and rent but I prefer to buy single family house soon since you give the same money monthly for rent or mortgage. At this time we have no jobs so I don't know what will be the house budget. We'll have cash $160-180K (depending on how we'll sell the apartment here in Europe) that we can put as deposit and than pay the monthly rate. I believe we can look at houses that are around $300-350K.

2. I meet online a guy from my country who lives in Willowbrook. He said he likes the town. What is your opinion about this place?
I am a bit biased and will recommend Arlington Heights, especially Lake Arlington area if you want to walk or ride a bike. There is a 2-3 miles path around the lake that you can use for running or biking or just walking. There are at least 3 parks walking distance from lake. No worries about crime. There are nice homes in your price range and schools are also excellent, especially elementary school district 23 & 25 and High School district 214. There is Metra Station in downtown Arlington Heights and one in Arlington Park and commute to Chicago will be 30-45 minutes. I love Arlington Hts and if you have any questions you can PM me. Just curious though, are you in the states or planning to come soon?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:26 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,284,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
I am a bit biased and will recommend Arlington Heights, especially Lake Arlington area if you want to walk or ride a bike. There is a 2-3 miles path around the lake that you can use for running or biking or just walking. There are at least 3 parks walking distance from lake. No worries about crime. There are nice homes in your price range and schools are also excellent, especially elementary school district 23 & 25 and High School district 214. There is Metra Station in downtown Arlington Heights and one in Arlington Park and commute to Chicago will be 30-45 minutes. I love Arlington Hts and if you have any questions you can PM me. Just curious though, are you in the states or planning to come soon?
Pete,
Why a PM for more info? The idea of the forum is for others to contribute ideas and knowledge and that cannot occur via PM. I live within 2 blocks of Lake Arlington and if this goes PM experiences I have had living here since 1992 get excluded. Food for thought.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Pete,
Why a PM for more info? The idea of the forum is for others to contribute ideas and knowledge and that cannot occur via PM. I live within 2 blocks of Lake Arlington and if this goes PM experiences I have had living here since 1992 get excluded. Food for thought.
Ok, I thought if OP needs some info of RE agent or stuff like that.
No biggie.

Last edited by Pete MUFC; 09-13-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Ok, I thought if he needs some info of RE agent or stuff like that.
No biggie.
I probably over reacted; probably a reaction to this forum being rather boring the last few months. One good thing about the CPS strike, it has led to some entertaining and though provoking threads.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I probably over reacted; probably a reaction to this forum being rather boring the last few months. One good thing about the CPS strike, it has led to some entertaining and though provoking threads.
No problem. I always say good things about AH and want to share that info on forum.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:36 AM

I have seen some nice homes for sale In Arlington Vista and in the neighborhood just north of the Lake and east of Windsor. Both walking distance to the Lake and with homes that are probably in OP's budget.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Yes there are few for sale and in the OP's price range. Nice homes, not new, but well maintained with nice size yards etc.
Based on OP's post, I am not sure if the OP is actualy in the states so he/she can visit the area though.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 PM

62 posts, read 225,051 times
We had the same requests the OP listed (and a few additional ones) and moved to Skokie this summer. We are thrilled with our location in a community with a great neighborhood school we can walk to, 2 excellent parks we can walk to, tasty restaurants nearby, safety for the little ones and great park district. Wishing you a similarly satisfying move in your quest for the right locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs