Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:20 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Totally get that, but you know, I just used that NY Times link you guys had in another thread to look at the demographic make up of my zip code of Naperville. I believe the numbers were 69% white, with Asian being something like 17%, followed by black and hispanic in the mid single digits. Other areas were much less diverse, when I looked at them.
What zip code is that if you don't mind me asking?

Old 12-18-2010, 01:25 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
From looking at C-D information, Naperville isn't all that white(non hispanic) homogenous. Its less than 75% white and so is the school system. Its not that much more white than Oak Park. There are over 22,000 Asians(15.5%),, 8500 Hispanics(6%), and 7200 blacks(5%) living there.
I don't know about those figures. According to wiki from the 2005 community survey (U.S. Census Bureau) the numbers are:

"The racial makeup of the city was 82.00% White, 2.54% African American, 0.07% Native American, 12.65% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 1.26% from other races, and 1.48% from two or more races.[11] Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.23% of the population.[11]"

Naperville, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps the City Data numbers are including parts of zip codes that are shared by, but not entirely in Naperville (for example: Woodridge and Aurora?)

Guess we will have to see for sure once the 2010 census numbers come out.

Remember:

"City-data.com does not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of any information on this site. Use at your own risk.
Some parts © 2010 Advameg, Inc."

https://www.city-data.com/races/races...-Illinois.html

Last edited by tonythetuna; 12-18-2010 at 01:39 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Because some make it out to be the absolute nicest suburb in the entire metro region. Typically it is people who make decisions based on lists instead of based on their own "feet and eyes on the ground" research. And I do not like such narrow points of view. Now I do not agree with all the bashing N-ville gets because it certainly should be considered one of the nicest, larger suburbs in the metro area.
So in a nutshell,when some of us who have been in the area a long time and have seen many of the area's towns read a post saying" I'm moving from out-of-state and we have chosen Naperville because it is THE BEST suburb because Money Magazine says so" and the poster doesn't seem to consider any other town- both Naperville (maybe undeservedly) and the poster will get bashed.
Now, if the same poster would say, we want to live in the western suburbs and after visiting several suburbs we think Naperville is the best fit, Naperville and the OP are not getting bashed by me.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
But this can easily describe countless places. You don't hear the same thing about Arlington Hts. But this desrciption describes that suburb as much if not more. But you and others have a point, it has been in all the magazines, etc. Thats probably what it is.
I don't know. I hate suburbs, even though I myself live in a lilly white suburb. But I also know how to put things in perspective. The reason why most people live in suburbs is to raise a family, have access to good schools, affordability and safety. In the case of Naperville, it takes on a completely different discussion. Yes, downtown is beautiful by most standards, but most people that don't like today's downtown Naperville area are the ones that liked it just fine 15, heck even 10 years ago. Ton of old school Naperville is no longer there, sold out to the highest bidder chasing dollars. I remember the days when the fanciest house in Naperville used to be the home of the President of the North Central College, now they are dime a dozen. Again Naperville really is no different than much of the white suburbia, and should never be put in the same sentence as the North Shore, Burr Ridge, Barrington, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs