Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 AM

8 posts, read 12,933 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I'm a small investor living in the UK who is looking for suggestions of areas that are considered as livable, but with foreclosed homes available to buy at reasonable prices.

I'm looking for SFR's or MFH, (Duplex/Triples/Quads) in neighborhoods, which are considered as, "not too bad".

When I last visited Chicago, I got lost one night and ended up in East Chicago. I have bought myself a SatNav since then, especially to avoid that place).

I have just bought a place in Harvey, but I understand for $20k-$30k, I can pick up an REO house in a much nicer neighborhood. I just need to pin down which areas to focus on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlohiya View Post
Hey All,

I'm a small investor living in the UK who is looking for suggestions of areas that are considered as livable, but with foreclosed homes available to buy at reasonable prices.

I'm looking for SFR's or MFH, (Duplex/Triples/Quads) in neighborhoods, which are considered as, "not too bad".

When I last visited Chicago, I got lost one night and ended up in East Chicago. I have bought myself a SatNav since then, especially to avoid that place).

I have just bought a place in Harvey, but I understand for $20k-$30k, I can pick up an REO house in a much nicer neighborhood. I just need to pin down which areas to focus on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
If you thought east chicago was bad, you don't even want to go into harvey. For a budget of 20-30k, you're going to be in the worst neighborhoods the area has. Around 100k is when you will start to get into the "decent" areas, and/or houses that are actually worth fixing though with how horrible the market is right now, getting into flipping isn't the best choice in my opinion.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
My consulting retainer is £2,500. Contact me for further details.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:16 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Harvey? Ouch. Mistake.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Harvey? Ouch. Mistake.
Couldn't keep away angelfire?

Old 12-16-2010, 04:25 PM

8 posts, read 12,933 times
Thanks for feedback people
I'll re-phrase my question, Please would people hint which suburbs I should try to avoid and why, ie. war-zones, too many boarded up houses etc.
I'd appreciate the help.
My RE consultant bought me a house in Harvey, he said it's a nice area, so I just don't understand how it could be completely opposite.
He wanted me to buy in Gary, IN, but when I visited it, I hated it, so I told him Chicago is the place I want to buy in.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:36 PM

Assuming this is a serious thread -- about which I have substantial doubts -- you need to fire your RE consultant. If the object is to buy homes in nice areas, he's an idiot. I am not exaggerating when I say Gary is one of the worst places in the industrialized world. Maybe if he wanted you to buy a home in the Miller Beach area I could see it. The rest of Gary is an urban disaster bordering on a humanitarian crisis.

However, if the object is to buy you rental income property that will generate immediate cash flow.... well, places where real estate values are substantially depressed but people still need places to live is a good way to do it. Gary and Harvey happen to be such places.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:54 PM

BTW, there are also large swaths of Chicago that are as bad as Gary. There are also large swaths where real estate is exceptionally pricey. Chicago is a city of extremes. Not quite Sao Paolo extremes, but extremes by developed-world standards. So just advising your consultant "buy in Chicago" isn't going to guarantee you he'll do better for you than he did with Harvey. Depending, again, on what the actual aim is.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 PM

I agree with above i'd fire whoever told you to buy in harvey, that is one of worst cities in the area. It's possible and i know of a few people who do buy houses in these area dirt cheap, make them habitable and turn them rentals which is an option, but if you are trying to fix them up to sell you're going to be throwing your money away.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,996,285 times
Fire that broker and even in the worse of places a house in chicago sells for $80k-100k. $20-30K is the price of a full sized car. If a house sells for 20K rest assured it is teardown quality and needs 60K+ worth of repairs to get it habitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs