Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times

Advertisements

Hinsdale's downtown is NORTH of Hinsdale Central High School. Oak Brook is NORTH of there.

I guess all that driving can sometimes leave one's head spinning ...

I also will quibble at least a bit about the 'direction' of kid oriented "pressure to perfor, -- I have seen Race to Nowhere, its message is not really the biggest concern to me either nationally or in regards to specific achievement oriented communities. In fact I would instead cite the work of Jay Matthews, noted education columnist, to refute many of the film's central themes -- Why "Race to Nowhere" documentary is wrong - The Washington Post Basically, in my experience living and working in the area served by Hinsdale Central that only a tiny percentage of families put "too much pressure" on kids to perform. The vast majority of families do "strike a balance" and almost everyone does understand to one degree or another that not every child is going to be best in every academic / athletic / artistic endeavor. I think this has been true for at least 20 years and bears out the take that others have : The Breakfast Club If kids drive the decisions to be a jock, or top classroom performer or artist or whatever that is rather different than being urged on by some "tiger mom" / atheltic booster dad. That said, I do know that some kids do get A WHOLE LOT of "special attention" beyond school for things as varried as sports / dance / academic coaching. Some of this is effective, and seems to be driven by perceptive children's own acknowledgement that if having a tennis pro or personal trainer improves parent's serve / fitness then a couple of extra hours a week of extra work will help their ability too... So long as these efforts are driven not by an out of control parent or completely unrealistic child it is hard to say there is anything wrong with it. I mean the kids I mention seeing getting on the school bus are not seen up terribly late night either weighed down under hours of homework or practicing their jump shot by moonlight. Acheivement is what enables their parents to live a nice lifestyle and taking some personal responsibilty is a commenable / necessary part of growing up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBrookMom View Post
Doglover5, the downtown I refer to is the one just south of the high school, Hinsdale. As you may know Oak Brook doesn't have one. That's why my daughter who values her sleep sees great value in living in that section of Hinsdale and walking a couple blocks to school vs leaving to walk to the bus stop an hour before school starts because we live in Oak Brook, plus likewise in the afternoon being home at 3:10 is much different than 4:10. Just yesterday we were driving in the area and she saw a home for sale three blocks from school and asked if that one is in our price range. She's the only one actively looking in our family however so she can keep dreaming.
She competed on multiple sport travel teams so we've had the unique opportunity to talk to other parents about how their girls handle the sports and the academics. I can tell you that some never had the academic rigors. But those with A students in other higher performing feeder systems (Naperville North, Stevenson, Lake Forest, Barrington, Geneva) did mention similar practices and concerns.
Justabystander mentioned the class rank elimination which I too feel is one of the ways they really try at HC to be fair to all the really smart children. They had a viewing of " The Race to Nowhere" at the school for a reason, they know the dangers of an arms race and that our environment is ripe. They wouldn't have shown that movie to parents if the message didn't need to be heard. I have friends that saw it with me that had older children in college and said they wish they would have seen it sooner. I am impressed by the curriculum, the faculty and the administration. Like you, I know how lucky she is to be attending this school and how fortunate she was to have the elementary education she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 02:05 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Default sorry chet........

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Hinsdale's downtown is NORTH of Hinsdale Central High School. Oak Brook is NORTH of there.

I guess all that driving can sometimes leave one's head spinning ...

I also will quibble at least a bit about the 'direction' of kid oriented "pressure to perfor, -- I have seen Race to Nowhere, its message is not really the biggest concern to me either nationally or in regards to specific achievement oriented communities. In fact I would instead cite the work of Jay Matthews, noted education columnist, to refute many of the film's central themes -- Why "Race to Nowhere" documentary is wrong - The Washington Post Basically, in my experience living and working in the area served by Hinsdale Central that only a tiny percentage of families put "too much pressure" on kids to perform. The vast majority of families do "strike a balance" andof this is effective, and seems to be driven by perceptive children's own acknowledgement that if having a almost everyone does understand to one degree or another that not every child is going to be best in every academic / athletic / artistic endeavor. I think this has been true for at least 20 years and bears out the take that others have : The Breakfast Club If kids drive the decisions to be a jock, or top classroom performer or artist or whatever that is rather different than being urged on by some "tiger mom" / atheltic booster dad. That said, I do know that some kids do get A WHOLE LOT of "special attention" beyond school for things as varried as sports / dance / academic coaching. Some tennis pro or personal trainer improves parent's serve / fitness then a couple of extra hours a week of extra work will help their ability too... So long as these efforts are driven not by an out of control parent or completely unrealistic child it is hard to say there is anything wrong with it. I mean the kids I mention seeing getting on the school bus are not seen up terribly late night either weighed down under hours of homework or practicing their jump shot by moonlight. Acheivement is what enables their parents to live a nice lifestyle and taking some personal responsibilty is a commenable / necessary part of growing up...

Chet, since you are right in most areas you write about, this must be a blip in your thinking. Hinsdale Central, like Oak Brook Mom says, is SOUTH of Hinsdale's downtown, and Oak Brook is quite a ways NORTH of the High School and the Hinsdale downtown area. Hinsdale's downtown is in the middle, quite a bit closer to the high school.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Map?

NORTH

^
|

Oak Broook

^
|

Downtown Hinsdale

^
|

Hinsdale Central

^
|

Burr Ridge

OB Mom said "the downtown I refer to is the one just south of the high school"

????

http://goo.gl/maps/t3fcr

Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM

110 posts, read 277,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Chet, since you are right in most areas you write about, this must be a blip in your thinking. Hinsdale Central, like Oak Brook Mom says, is SOUTH of Hinsdale's downtown, and Oak Brook is quite a ways NORTH of the High School and the Hinsdale downtown area. Hinsdale's downtown is in the middle, quite a bit closer to the high school.
Isn't that what he said?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM

198 posts, read 822,069 times
Chet's arrow map is correct.
I do spend way too much time in the car.
People can draw their own conclusion about the movie and why the district chose to show it.
I have three children, one in each school (elementary, junior high and high school). My children are the ones boarding the bus and experiencing whatever pressures there happens to be. I can only speak to what I've been told by those with direct experience that may be on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th child at the school plus my direct experience as a parent who is actively involved in trying to maintain the balance while encouraging my children to do their best and use the talents they have been given. It isn't just schooling, it is everything. It is also the child too, all three of mine are so different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs