Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:04 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times

Advertisements

Interesting article that ties into the fact that the south suburbs are less desirable as a whole:

Retail good and bad: Vacancy drops, but so do rents | Trend Of The Week | Crain's Chicago Business

Quote:
The vacancy rate declined in eight of the 12 Chicago-area submarkets in the third quarter, while it rose in four: the north suburbs, the far west suburbs, Chicago's North Side and the southwest suburbs. The lowest vacancy is in the west suburbs, where the rate fell to 5.7% from 8.9% in the second quarter. The highest rate is in the south suburbs, where vacancy edged down to 20.6% from 21.5%. CB Richard Ellis' data includes retail centers 50,000 square feet and larger

I knew vacancies rates in the southland were higher overall - but I never guessed they were in the 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post

Borders NEVER has a good crowd....Borders in Orland is what a Borders should look like...Borders on Michigan Ave is REALLY how a Borders should look like...Borders in Matteson is the bookstore version of the Holiday Inn.....EMPTY!!
Are you kidding me? Borders in Matteson can get pretty crowded sometimes. And when it does, it makes me want to go to the less crowded Barnes and Noble in Bourbanais instead. The Barnes and Noble in Bourbenais is hardly ever crowded and that's a good thing. I like to have a little bit more peace and quiet while I sip my coffee and read my books. What's so great about a crowded bookstore? I'm at the Borders in Matteson all the time and there's always a bunch of customers browsing the store. Sometimes I walk into the cafe and it's so packed that there's only one small table available!! Goddammit, I like to have two small tables or one big table for all my books. I'm gonna have to ask you again, what's so great about a crowded bookstore/cafe ANYWAY?

Another thing: I hate the damn stage performers on Saturday nights at the Borders cafe in Matteson! All these damn people swarming into the cafe to watch the live music and I'm trying to read my books..

Last edited by urza216; 12-10-2010 at 08:10 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 07:09 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
I would definitely look into Homewood-Flossmoor area for the best commute for both of you. It's a nice area. And I hope all this bickering doesn't make you scrap the whole idea.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I would definitely look into Homewood-Flossmoor area for the best commute for both of you. It's a nice area. And I hope all this bickering doesn't make you scrap the whole idea.
The OP already decided that a reasonable commute is a non-issue and he's moving to Orland.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 AM

I would still recommend that the OP moves to Richton Park. There are townhouses right by the Richton Park Metra Station and Metra is just north of University Park. There's also Richton Perk which is a nice little cafe down the street from the train station where commuters can get a cup of coffee, watch TV, read the paper, eat a donut or muffin or whatever while they wait for the train they're catching. It doesn't get much better than that!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 AM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Interesting article that ties into the fact that the south suburbs are less desirable as a whole:

Retail good and bad: Vacancy drops, but so do rents | Trend Of The Week | Crain's Chicago Business

I knew vacancies rates in the southland were higher overall - but I never guessed they were in the 20's.

Yeah places like harvey have an entire vacant shopping mall. Although, it will be getting torn down soon. Blue island, riverdale, phoenix, ford heights, etc. I can see that.

It's on par with the other burbs in the middle class areas. The huge 81,000 square foot vacanat grocery store eyesore on the chicago heights side of linconln hwy and western that borders olympia fields is finally being redeveloped and construction has already begun. The western ave and lincoln hwy intersection area has been an eyesore for a long time and will finally be getting redeveloped. Currently the retailers are unamed. But we should be hearing more about this pretty soon. All of the car dealerships moved down the street to the matteson auto mall and it kind of tore things up in tha area for a long time. But, it's another great traffic count location. Food 4 less will be in the old vacant dominicks location when the construction is completed . The vacant amoco will be getting torn torn in the near future also for a new station. Retail Redevelopment will be coming to the far southern suburbs in a big way very shortly. We will finally be getting the level of retail that we as a middle class area deserve.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Yeah places like harvey have an entire vacant shopping mall. Although, it will be getting torn down soon. Blue island, riverdale, phoenix, ford heights, etc. I can see that.

It's on par with the other burbs in the middle class areas. The huge 81,000 square foot vacanat grocery store eyesore on the chicago heights side of linconln hwy and western that borders olympia fields is finally being redeveloped and construction has already begun. The western ave and lincoln hwy intersection area has been an eyesore for a long time and will finally be getting redeveloped. Currently the retailers are unamed. But we should be hearing more about this pretty soon. All of the car dealerships moved down the street to the matteson auto mall and it kind of tore things up in tha area for a long time. But, it's another great traffic count location. Food 4 less will be in the old vacant dominicks location when the construction is completed . The vacant amoco will be getting torn torn in the near future also for a new station. Retail Redevelopment will be coming to the far southern suburbs in a big way very shortly. We will finally be getting the level of retail that we as a middle class area deserve.
If you mean other burbs in the SOUTH suburbs, I'll agree with you. Otherwise, most other areas in Chicagoland have vacancy rates that are less than 1/2 of the south suburbs:

Vacancy rates, 2nd Quarter/2010

North suburbs - 8.9%
Northwest suburbs - 13.6%
West suburbs - 8.9%
Southwest suburbs - 9.4%
South suburbs - 21.5%

It's obvious the the southland can't support retail at the level YOU think it can. Proof is in the numbers.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If you mean other burbs in the SOUTH suburbs, I'll agree with you. Otherwise, most other areas in Chicagoland have vacancy rates that are less than 1/2 of the south suburbs:

Vacancy rates, 2nd Quarter/2010

North suburbs - 8.9%
Northwest suburbs - 13.6%
West suburbs - 8.9%
Southwest suburbs - 9.4%
South suburbs - 21.5%

It's obvious the the southland can't support retail at the level YOU think it can. Proof is in the numbers.
This doesn't mean the south suburbs aren't livable. This still doesn't make a 45-minute commute worth it.

How much of that 21.5% is located in areas that people don't really go, anyway? For instance, if the whole strip mall is empty, no one goes there and it's counted as more than one empty storefront, right? Empty storefronts in places like Ford Heights are largely a product of everyone being too scared to get out of the car when they're passing through.

There are a lot of problems in the south suburbs that we need to fix. Outsiders trashing the area does nothing to fix said problems.

Last edited by urza216; 12-10-2010 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 AM

207 posts, read 506,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I lived in the city as a young single guy for over 7 years. Most of those years not to far from wicker park in the humboldt park area so I know all about it.

HAHAHAHAHA....Only YOU can make living in one of the most dangerous areas in the city sound magnificent!!!!!! If I didnt know the city so well I would have been fooled by this statement. Why even mention Wicker Park in your statement???Just say I lived in Humboldt Park. Which by the way is nowhere near the same experience as living in Wicker Park!! Nice try though.

You are so pretentious that its disgusting!!!

And NO you don't know all about it....coming from Humboldt Park the home of Latin Kings and murders.

FROM NOW ON ALWAYS READ THIS GUYS POSTS AT LEAST 3 TIMES HE IS SO FULL OF CRAP!!!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 AM

207 posts, read 506,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Are you kidding me? Borders in Matteson can get pretty crowded sometimes. And when it does, it makes me want to go to the less crowded Barnes and Noble in Bourbanais instead. The Barnes and Noble in Bourbenais is hardly ever crowded and that's a good thing. I like to have a little bit more peace and quiet while I sip my coffee and read my books. What's so great about a crowded bookstore? I'm at the Borders in Matteson all the time and there's always a bunch of customers browsing the store. Sometimes I walk into the cafe and it's so packed that there's only one small table available!! Goddammit, I like to have two small tables or one big table for all my books. I'm gonna have to ask you again, what's so great about a crowded bookstore/cafe ANYWAY?

Another thing: I hate the damn stage performers on Saturday nights at the Borders cafe in Matteson! All these damn people swarming into the cafe to watch the live music and I'm trying to read my books..
Suburbanites.......SMH!!! You people are clueless. This is why I never take people who dont live in the city seriously...their opinions are skewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs