Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
Whatever you do DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GUY!!!!!! He is clueless! Trust me the south suburbs are no place to live and raise a family if you have any real sense about life and culture. But if you want to live amongst stereotypical suburban bred African Americans and south side transplant African Americans with no sense of anything outside of African American culture and lower middle class blue collar Caucasians who live in an imaginary bubble constantly on the run from the latter mentioned, who eventually come together to make a crap stew called the South Suburbs......be my guest.

Trust me I know what this place is about I lived in Richton Park since 82 moved to Park Forest in 88, then to University Park from 89 to 95 where I graduated went to college and moved to the city. I have family still there who I often visit so I have seen this place morph over the years....and it has went to the toilet.

Lincoln Mall looks like a cross between Evergreen Plaza and Swap-O-Rama these days so that tells you everything about your dear Matteson.

And BTW I am African American and Caucasian so no I am not being a racist just telling it as I and many other smart people see it.

Again why does the south loop have anything to do with looking to move to the suburbs? Everyone doesn't want to live downtown you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Thanks for that laugh...I needed that!!!!!

If I were you and your wife...i would make her take one for the team and do the commute...I would find a condo in the South Loop and call it a day....trust me you would thank me in the long run.....
You must have an axe to grind. Why would you recommend that his wife drive a daily commute that will easily be 90 minutes each way? South Loop to Univ Park, every day, by car?

You have lost all credibility.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
And why do you always make the assumption that everyone wants to live in a mostly all white western suburb and are willing to move out of there way to do so? Even if they do not work or have family in the western burbs. And the OP never even brought up race anyway. How do you even know that the OP is in fact white? Most whites live in racially diverse areas these days anyway, and this trend will continue to grow as the number of middle class minorities continues to increase. Lagrange is a nice upper middle class suburb but there are areas much nicer than lagrange in the southern burbs you know. As far as affluence Flossmoor and olympia fields are a step above lagrange and WAY closer. Both towns have median household incomes much higher than lagrange by the way. Crete is a nice suburb worth looking into and very close to university park, also not too far from the metra. Homewood and matteson are both nice middle class suburbs with rental options suitable for a family nearby and have there own metra stops. Here is a link to a nice townhome available for rent in nearby matteson. Great location for work in university park and matteson has it's own metra station.

Matteson 2 -3 BD 2.5 BA Townhome. $1875 4 levels and Garage. (http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/apa/2100435554.html - broken link)
Not that it has anything to do with the topic, but "most whites live in racially diverse areas these days"? Seriously, allen?

The key to the OPs requirements is that they're looking to start a family - the south suburbs schools suck and safety is a concern in many of the south suburbs.

And chet makes the assumption because in most cases it's true - people want to live in the best community their money can buy. And in this case, it ain't the south suburbs.

HF is an island surrounded by crap. And the tell tale signs it's demise have already started - the cracks are showing ... namely, the schools. Once the schools start to slide (and they already have) it's only a matter of time til HF becomes crap itself.

Quote:
Whatever you do DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GUY!!!!!! He is clueless! Trust me the south suburbs are no place to live and raise a family if you have any real sense about life and culture. But if you want to live amongst stereotypical suburban bred African Americans and south side transplant African Americans with no sense of anything outside of African American culture and lower middle class blue collar Caucasians who live in an imaginary bubble constantly on the run from the latter mentioned, who eventually come together to make a crap stew called the South Suburbs......be my guest.

Trust me I know what this place is about I lived in Richton Park since 82 moved to Park Forest in 88, then to University Park from 89 to 95 where I graduated went to college and moved to the city. I have family still there who I often visit so I have seen this place morph over the years....and it has went to the toilet.

Lincoln Mall looks like a cross between Evergreen Plaza and Swap-O-Rama these days so that tells you everything about your dear Matteson.

And BTW I am African American and Caucasian so no I am not being a racist just telling it as I and many other smart people see it.
Ah, finally the voice of reason!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Chuckity I never here you saying Northwest indiana sucks. The cracks are showing. All of the jobs are gone. Munster is an oasis surrounded by crap like gary and hammond. Give me a break.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The key to the OPs requirements is that they're looking to start a family - the south suburbs schools suck and safety is a concern in many of the south suburbs.
And for your information the south suburbs does not have one school district or one police department. It's the same as everywhere else. Different school districts for different neighborhoods. Different rates of crime in different neighborhoods also. There are lower income areas and higher income areas just like everywhere else. If someone is looking to move to indiana I am sure they can find a nice place to live right? It's not all rural run down former industrial meccas like gary and rural trailer parks, no?

Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Chuckity I never here you saying Northwest indiana sucks. The cracks are showing. All of the jobs are gone. Munster is an oasis surrounded by crap like gary and hammond. Give me a break.
Quote:
And for your information the south suburbs does not have one school district or one police department. It's the same as everywhere else. Different school districts for different neighborhoods. Different rates of crime in different neighborhoods also. There are lower income areas and higher income areas just like everywhere else. If someone is looking to move to indiana I am sure they can find a nice place to live right? It's not all rural run down former industrial meccas like gary and rural trailer parks, no?
LOL! Apparently, I get under your skin if you're pulling out the NWI retorts. I'll remind you that the heading of this forum is "Chgo Suburbs" - in case you didn't notice.

And I'm fully aware there are quite a few different communities that fall under the banner of "south suburbs" but they're all pretty much on the decline. In almost every case, schools are suffering & crime is rising.

Faltering schools are usually the first indication that a neighborhood is hitting the skids - why someone who intends to raise a family would knowing buy into an area where schools are suffering is beyond me. They'd be throwing their money away ... it's foolish.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
LOL! Apparently, I get under your skin if you're pulling out the NWI retorts. I'll remind you that the heading of this forum is "Chgo Suburbs" - in case you didn't notice.

And I'm fully aware there are quite a few different communities that fall under the banner of "south suburbs" but they're all pretty much on the decline. In almost every case, schools are suffering & crime is rising.

Faltering schools are usually the first indication that a neighborhood is hitting the skids - why someone who intends to raise a family would knowing buy into an area where schools are suffering is beyond me. They'd be throwing their money away ... it's foolish.
Again with your complete generalizations. Have you looked at the graduation rates at many northwest indiana public high schools lately. Some hovering at or below 50 percent student graduation rates. The public schools in northwest indiana as a whole are as bad as city of chicago public schools. Most south suburban public schools are performing by far much better than that. Most with student graduation rates well above the state average. Many like HF with graduation rates above 95 percent. Considering that african american and hispanic students have the lowest graduation rates on average and most south suburban schools have a high percentage of minority students, most of these schools are outperforming in that respect. How are most of the minority students performing in NWI schools? Below 50 percent graduation rates?

Last edited by allen2323; 12-08-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Again with your complete generalizations. Have you looked at the graduation rates at many northwest indiana public high schools lately. Some hovering at or below 50 percent student graduation rates. The public schools in northwest indiana as a whole are as bad as city of chicago public schools. Most south suburban public schools are performing by far much better than that. Many with graduation rate over 90 percent.
Again ... this is the CHICAGO SUBURBS forum. I don't know why you have such a hard time with that.

NWI has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

You get so damned panicked when someone says anything negative about the south suburbs ... and now you're grasping at straws, desperate to put the south side above anything - anything at all. What is funny (and by funny, I mean sad) that the best you can do, the best you can come up with, is to put the south suburbs up against Gary.

Now, this is the Chicago Suburbs forum - not NWI. If you'd like to talk about NWI, I'd invite you over to that forum and not this one.

Kthxbai.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 PM

You started with the generalizations. You are the one who said every public school in the south suburbs basically sucks.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I totally was not comparing at all. You started with the generalizations.

Please, allen. You most definitely were comparing ... to say you weren't, when people can read with their own two eyes your last few posts, is ridiculous.

Everything I post about the south suburbs is the truth. Most every single community is on the decline. And those that aren't currently in decline, sit right next to a community that is. Facts are facts, allen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs