Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:28 PM

114 posts, read 387,128 times

Advertisements

Wilmette's population is about 2 1/2 time larger than Winnetka's. There are many more styles of homes in Wilmette than in Winnetka and Wilmette has a stronger Park District with many more opportunities for young kids and teens. Most would agree that the elementary schools are pretty equal although Wilmette runs its own special needs/education department. Winnetka is part of NSSED, a north shore consortium.
Having the tracks below grade in Winnetka is a huge advantage. Safety, traffic and noise are all much more tolerable.
In the current market place, Winnetka and especially Kenilworth are much more over supplied with housing inventory than Wilmette. Depending on where one purchases in Wilmette will depend on appreciation versus Winnetka. East Wilmette and or the CAGE area in Wilmette generally will retain its value as equally as Winnetka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 03:02 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,767 times
Wilmette has a bigger park district. I've used it many times for different activities (especially skating) as a Winnetka resident you just pay a slightly higher fee. My park district taxes in Winnetka are lower too.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:30 PM

60 posts, read 291,667 times
I have a friend who used to live in the northwest part of Wilmette (Harper elementary school) and one reason she moved is that she felt like all her neighbors were just living in Wilmette until they could afford a house in Winnetka. Winnetka is seen by many as higher status than Wilmette.
In my part of Wilmette, there is a perception that people in Winnetka are richer and snobbier, but the people I personally know in Winnetka are nice so that may just be a stereotype. If you golf or play paddle tennis, you will fit right in.
We looked at both Wilmette and Winnetka, and honestly we picked by the house, not the town. But when we looked there was nothing in Winnetka (at least not near the train) for $650 -- prices have really come down!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:32 AM

115 posts, read 291,332 times
One thing to look into is the schools in Winnetka. I've heard particularly that Crow Island is having a lot of problems. (I heard this from what I consider a pretty reliable source- a family who left Winnetka for Wilmette due to the issues at Crow Island.) Although with the budget cuts being considered for the Wilmette schools within the next couple of years we'll feel some big changes too.

Since the properties are worth less money now the tax revenue has decreased and both towns are affected. From what I've observed housing prices fell faster and harder in Winnetka than in Wilmette. There were homes we considered buying 8 years ago that are on the market recently for less than they were sold for then. True some were bought in bidding wars, and thus assumed to be over valued, but still it's disturbing.

The suggestion of Kenilworth is a good one. You'd be surprised how many reasonably priced homes there are and in family friendly neighborhoods similar to Wilmette and Winnetka. The perception is that Kenilworth is all mansions and snobs but it's not true. Although I had to laugh when my son went Trick or Treating with friends in Kenilworth and came home with a lot of those king sized candy bars. Here in poor ol' Wilmette we just hand out the fun size. LOL.

Good luck with your home search. Where ever you buy on the North Shore you'll find a nice community and a great place to raise your family.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
I'd put Evanston, Highland Park, and Wilmette (in that order) in the category of being more diverse in housing stock and income when compared to Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Lake Forest, and Lake Bluff.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,787 times
Just have to "ditto" the comment about the below grade Metra tracks in Winnetka. Driving anywhere near the tracks during rush hour (when trains are most frequent) is the stuff road rage is made of.

Seriously. Street view it on Google if you haven't seen it in person.

Or, come up for dinner some weeknight so you can see the mayhem in person.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 PM

190 posts, read 405,151 times
Great info everyone..... I never leave the city it seems:-) I will continue to work downtown when we move but need something pretty close because I am always on the go. I think Winnetka would be the farthest north we would go. I will check out Kenilworth, as someone mentioned, I never considered it because I thought it was not in our budget.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Hate to sound like a technical snob, but Lakeview is seriously not downtown.

Differences between Wilmette abd Winnetka from an outsider opinion

1.) Winnetka is richer
2.) Wilmette is more dense and houses are in smaller lots- Google streetview
3.) Wilmette is more racially diverse and less white by 10%

And that is my contribution to this thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:10 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Looking at homes near the Metra line, Glenview is also worth considering, especially with the bridge reconstruction Metra will be doing on the Winnetka line and the corresponding slowdowns.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:06 PM

190 posts, read 405,151 times
Well if you don't mean to sound like a technical snob then don't. Maybe I should have said I live at Madison & State, would that consitute downtown. All others, thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs