Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
The H-F district includes a small section of Chicago Heights. It's definitely one of the nicer parts of town.
I know that, but some students from Ford Heights (true example) lie and say they live in Chicago Heights (since it has the same zip code) and they get into H-F. My cousin's friends did this all 4 years and graduated (I only found out about this last year when they graduated).

Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
When you can't win the argument, you choose to deflect.

Whatever.

As for accepting facts, it's you, buddy oh pal, who has a problem accepting facts.

The fact of the matter is this is an academic award winning area just like other academic award winning areas that continue to be awarded academic awards over and over again. The schools never were awarded on the basis that they were the best all white upper middle class school in the area. Schools in this area just keep rising to the occassion and continue to meet the tough challenges of being racially and economically diverse schools as I am sure all of you will admit from your own comments is a big challenge and maybe the biggest challenge that faces the academic world today. Award committees just love that. Just last year arcadia elemtary was awarded the blue ribbon award. Two years before that st lawrence O'Toole in matteson was awarded the blue ribbon. My guess is either the new charter school or HF will be awarded it within the next few years.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-06-2010 at 10:29 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
We have the same problem with kids from austin sneaking into Oak Park/River Forest High School. They lie and say they live with a relative who lives in the area.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
We have the same problem with kids from austin sneaking into Oak Park/River Forest High School. They lie and say they live with a relative who lives in the area.
Ya in Munster, some kids from Hammond were doing that...Munster hopped on that REAL quick...some people said it was "racist because the students were mostly Hispanic and some black".......and then others (who were Hispanic and Black but LIVED in Munster) said "HELL NAW!! I paid a lot of money to move here so you can too!".................BAM......problem solved.....now they do home visits to make sure you live there.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Not to play facilitator, but Allen's main point is that many whites tend to unfairly adjudicate majority black schools (like H-F) simply because they are black, and that they don't apply the same standard to white schools. Thus, he brings up examples of majority white schools that we tend to hold in high regard, but which statistically might not be any better than a place like H-F. One might disagree with his view, but this isn't irrelevant information. It supports his point.

What I haven't gotten yet out of this thread is ... by what meaningful statistical measure has H-F high school declined? My comment was based on the opinions of several friends of mine who live and have lived there. It wasn't scientific. I also fall into the trap of feeling like a school must suck if it's getting blacker and blacker. I guess Allen tends to cut me a bit more slack because I'm up front about that, but I wouldn't say we are likely to agree on this topic. Still, I do get his point and I think the posts are valuable.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Default What I think

Statistically, H-F has declined, but not like any of its surrounding schools. But many people are feeling as though H-F held out for so long and it just cannot hold out any longer. Also, the scores are very important, yes, but so is the overall educational environment. My experience is that most whites have NO problem with African-Americans...It is GHETTO people they do not like (and for that matter, not many people of any race/ethnicity like at all either).....sadly, the MAJORITY of ghetto people are black..........now on the flip side, Most African-Americans do not TRASHY people (and for that matter, not many people of any race/ethnicity like at all either).......sadly, the MAJORITY of trash people are white........HOWEVER....most "white trash" live in very rural areas not connected to a metropolitan area.....and most "black trash" live in very urban areas by the center of a metropolitan area.....and thus, have the greatest negative influence on the most people as opposed to those in rural areas.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
The fact of the matter is this is an academic award winning area just like other academic award winning areas that continue to be awarded academic awards over and over again. The schools never were awarded on the basis that they were the best all white upper middle class school in the area. Schools in this area just keep rising to the occassion and continue to meet the tough challenges of being racially and economically diverse school as I am sure all of you will admit is a big challenge. Award committees just love that. Just last year arcadia elemtary was awarded the blue ribbon award. Two years before that st lawrence O'Toole in matteson was awarded the blue ribbon. My guess is either the new charter school or HF will be awarded it within the next few years.

Sigh.

Listen, HF (and we were talking about HF, not Glenbrook, not Munster, not Olympia Fields, not Matteson) is not the bottom of the education barrel. But it's not the end all be all it once was.

If you had an indepth knowledge of the area - long term knowledge, not superficial current knowledge - you'd know that HF had the reputation of this iconic school that churned out the best of the best. They were superkids ... almost on par with the golden kids at New Trier. Really really.

But now? Not so much.

Let me prove it to you. Of course you'll come up with some kind of bizzaro reason why the stats could not possibly mean what they say in black & white ... but whatever. And the thing is, I KNOW you get it & understand that HF is slipping ... but this pride thing you have going on has gotten the best of you.

Anyhow ... the number is the percentage meeting or exceeding state standards.

Homewood-Flossmoor
Reading 65%, Science 59%, Math 61%

Glenbrook South
Reading 74%, Science 74%, Math 79%

Lincoln Way Central
Reading 76%, Science 72%, Math 72%

Naperville Central
Reading 76%, Science 78%, Math 76%

New Trier
Reading 91%, Science 92%, Math 93%

And for the heck of it ...

Munster, Indiana
English/Language Arts 84%, Math 82%

I wish I had older stats on HF ... I would bet you a nickel that the test scores would've been practically interchangable with ALL of the schools.

Now? It's slipped by a solid 10 percentage points in each category.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:05 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
I admit H-F been on the decline when it comes to AYG, focus mostly on the PSAE. I was about to post the percentage of those whom met/exceed in all subjects, but Chuckity has already done that. You can find the information at. iirc.niu.edu. It doesn't change my opinion that H-F is a good school. I view the school as the great black hope. Its really the only above mediocre public high school that is over 50% Black in the Chicago suburbs. If H-F gets to the point where its on the route of no return, then it will have an impact on the south suburbs already not so pleasant reputation. I'm going to side with Northwest Indiana with H-F need to keep a close eye on who's entering the school. I graduated from Thornton Township and though most lived in the district communities, there were some bussing or carpooling from Englewood and Roseland.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-07-2010 at 12:17 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 AM

30 posts, read 66,464 times
Nothing is like it used to be. Yesterday, my sister who is an RN told me about a guy who lives in Old Town. He was talking on his IPhone and he was hit from behind (jumped) for his IPhone. He was in for surgery and looked pretty bad. It was 3PM in the afternoon. He had his guard down because he was on the Northside. It is not safe anywhere. I agree with allen2323; it seems like with most people, everything is about competition between Blacks and Whites. Who cares. Live your life. Schools are what you make of it. I've seen kids go to the so called best of schools and you see them years later; they are druggies. I think people should teach their kids the right values at home and teach their kids to love people. I don't believe in that inferiority complex.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
One thing I want to add:

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest that the H-F district makes its school available ONLY to residents of HOMEWOOD & FLOSSMOOR and AGGRESSIVELY crack down on out-of-district students!! That is REALLY what began to bring the district down...people lying on their addresses to get into the system..Yes at first it is "just people looking for better" but when a parent from out of district simply plants their kids in a better district just so they don;t have to "worry about them" but then DO NOT help them succeed by making sure they do their HW and behave, then ultimately it hurts the school system....Want the H-F area to remain desireable? Make it only available to Homewood and Flossmoor residents!
in a way i kinda sympathise with some people who change adresses because I've done that but I still agree with it the schools should crack down on people who use fake adresses, that is if it really hurts the district. If it dosent then i dont see a reason to worry. If the parents arent doing their job then whats the point of sending your child to a good school when they just continue their behavior and are still getting bad grades. Waste of time imo.

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 10-07-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs