Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 02:25 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
As far as restuarants, Birrieria Y Taqueria Arand on 162nd & halsted in Harvey are great. Taqueria Los Taquitos have the best Horchatas(rice water) on 148th Dixie Hwy, but there food is mediocre. For Mexican corn(in the cup or stick), next door to Harvey Fresh Market serve the best.

I like the little supermercados in Harvey. Not restuarants, but they have cooks in the back of the stores where they serve Mexican food. I like Los Amicos Mexican supermercado(next to Geneo's Pizza) on 158th & Woodridge and La Mexicana Grocery in downtown. They don't tax you on the food, which I like. So if the price of the Burrito is $4.50 on the menu, then you pay exactly that amount.

I have actually been to Birrieria Y Taqueria Arandas on 162nd a couple of times. Very good food. I am addicted to horchatas. I haven't been to a supermercado since I moved from the humboldt park area of the city. I will have to check one out and do a little shopping.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-20-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 06:43 PM

151 posts, read 413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Mi Arandos on Halsted in The Heights is a great restaurant.. I took a girl there a few months ago.

I usually go to Burrito Loco in The Heights instead because it's cheaper and still very tasty. And I eat at La Villa on Governors in Monee because it's closest to my house. Burito Station is also convenient for Prairie State College students but not high quality. La Villa is pretty good though.

Both the Pepe's in Matteson and the Pepe's in Chicago Heights are good. I prefer the one in Matteson but I don't go to either very often because I prefer Mi Arandas to both.

I hate Taco Bell.
Man, do I miss El Cortez (steak burrito supremo suizo!) living here in Ohio. Mexican food here is alright, but doesn't compare to Chicagoland.

The Burrito Station on Halsted used to be a Taco Bell. Nice trade up there. I think the Taco Bell had its roof destroyed in a storm eight or nine years ago and never reopened as such. Never ate at that Burrito Station, but I liked the one in South Heights-huge burritos for cheap.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 PM

17,402 posts, read 14,631,586 times
And ... back to Homewood ...

I found some online reviews of HF written from a parent's (and in some cases, alumni's) perpective:

Quote:
H-F was once a premier high school in Illinois, but has had a really difficult time in the last 10 years, as student safety is a real issue. The school is much too large, and while it offers a better academic program than other public high schools in the south suburbs, teachers cannot keep up with the increasing discipline problems and safety concerns. MOD CUT

Moderatior: Only two sentences may be cited from any source. Since no source was cited I had no choice except to delete all but the first two senteces. Please provide a source in the future.

What, if anything, do you think can be done to propel HF back to the top of the academic heap?

Do you think it can be done - or has the school slipped too far to be saved?

Do you think HF can again rival the New Triers and the Hindsdales or is HF doomed to be average or even, dare I say, a mediocre school?

Last edited by linicx; 10-21-2010 at 12:44 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 PM

Some people are so not with change and being progressive, I tell you. Anyway where the heck is the golden coral? I never heard of it. Am I missing out on something good here?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Allen,

Golden corral is garbage along with Pepes (I have been to Pepes once and would go to bonanza, ponderosa, and golden corral growing up after church with the parents). Golden corral used to be better but now is basically Old Country Buffet.

I assume you have been to El Cid and Lalos since you lived in the Humboldt Park area (I still think you were in Logan Square, given the armitage and california location). El Nandu is really good and not terribly expensive argentinian at the corner of fullerton and california. Perhaps you have been there as well.

Chuckcity made some really great points about HF not being what it once was. Still not a horrible school but certainly beginning to trend in that direction.

Just curious, has Naperville schools passed up HF performance-wise? I haven't seen the figures but if they have not yet I expect they soon will pass up HF. So sad that HF used to be comparable to Hinsdale and New Trier.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 PM

I am not a big fan of pepe's either. In humboldt park I like lazo's, arturos for late night tacos, and the best puerto rican food is Borinquen. I like down home cooking but the golden coral buffet doesn't sound like my style either. But, back to the homewood area as far as down home cooking in the area has anyone been to Flavor in the flossmoor commons? Absolutely the best! The food there really does live up to the name. I have tried probably 1/4 of the entrees on the menu, and nothing has disappointed me. Here is a link to there website Flavor Restaurant . You can also watch all of there reviews from check please, i90, etc, on there site.

As far as the high school. The schools focus should be on it's current student body and the parents in the district who pay the high taxes for the top quality education that is being provided there. Not to the former graduating class of 1974. Or to former residents who decided to abandon the area. Everyone needs to get over it.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-20-2010 at 11:44 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I am not a big fan of pepe's either. In humboldt park I like lazo's, arturos for late night tacos, and the best puerto rican food is Borinquen. I like down home cooking but the golden coral buffet doesn't sound like my style either. But, back to the homewood area as far as down home cooking in the area has anyone been to Flavor in the flossmoor commons? Absolutely the best! The food there really does live up to the name. I have tried probably 1/4 of the entrees on the menu, and nothing has disappointed me. Here is a link to there website Flavor Restaurant . You can also watch all of there reviews from check please, i90, etc, on there site.

As far as the high school. The schools focus should be on it's current student body and the parents in the district who pay the high taxes for the top quality education that is being provided there. Not to the former graduating class of 1974. Or to former residents who decided to abandon the area. Everyone needs to get over it.
Yes, I have tried it. It's a little expensive but very good. Last time I checked, they also have live jazz on Thursday nights.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post

Top quality based on what, the south suburbs alone? If that's the case, then yes, H-F is a top quality school. In the Chicago area as a whole? It is not top quality. But here is the thing. The RATE that people are paying in taxes in this area is higher than that in Hinsdale or the North Shore...the only difference is that the property values are much higher in those areas so the amount one pays will be higher. But dollar for dollar, I do not think people in the H-F district are getting what they are paying for in terms of education. Also, the class of 1974 (and some years surrounding) is actually very important. They are likely the ones whose children are attending high school right now! In fact, one of my friend's parents was the class of 1975 and 1977 and still live in the area. They were pleased with the school when their eldest (class of 1999) graduated from H-F. Their youngest is graduating next year and they are not pleased with the direction the school has gone. The reason they stayed was because their house was payed off and in the south suburbs, that was the only desirable place for them that was also close to work. While H-F is not a bad school, they do not like the fact that it is only a good school now. The H-F they went to was an EXCELLENT school in the entire Chicago area, not just a good one. Many new residents (who probably graduated after 1974) feel that H-F is an excellent school mostly because they either moved from Chicago or from places like Dolton, Cal City, or South Holland. But for those who have lived in the area for a long time (black, white, asian, whomever), I can guarantee that many are none too pleased with the status of the school now.

As far as that Flavor restaurant in Flossmoor...it is EXCELLENT! 10/10.

And also, about Golden Corral: It is WORSE than Old Country Buffet. Do not go there...you will be sorry...

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 10-21-2010 at 01:22 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 08:25 AM

207 posts, read 506,689 times
Question to the original poster.....If you are 32 and your wife is 28...why do you want to live in the south suburbs of all places??? There is literally nothing to do for anyone your age...Homewood is lameness on top of lameness. The people your age in these s. suburban cities are bored out of their minds. They stay in their houses all day and never come out to deal with the world except to complain or brag. Do yourself a favor and at least move to the northside of Chicago or the downtown area....trust me you will thank me later. The sources of entertainment for people your age in Homewood are Brunswick Zone, Sweet Georgia Browns, Bocces, and Knockouts......all 4 are trashy little bars flooded with locals. Homewood is ideal when you are like 40 years old with 5 kids...and even then its still a shaky idea because the northwest suburbs offer so much more. I left the south suburbs back in the 90's for the downtown/northside lifestyle and when I come back I always feel sorry for the people from my age group who still remain or never left. Half of them spend the majority of their time in the house on Facebook complaining and whining about relationships....why? because their lives are not fulfilled....and how could they be living in Homewood, Richton Park, Park Forest etc. I mean seriously???? Do not move out in the south suburbs as a young person.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
Question to the original poster.....If you are 32 and your wife is 28...why do you want to live in the south suburbs of all places??? There is literally nothing to do for anyone your age...Homewood is lameness on top of lameness. The people your age in these s. suburban cities are bored out of their minds. They stay in their houses all day and never come out to deal with the world except to complain or brag. Do yourself a favor and at least move to the northside of Chicago or the downtown area....trust me you will thank me later. The sources of entertainment for people your age in Homewood are Brunswick Zone, Sweet Georgia Browns, Bocces, and Knockouts......all 4 are trashy little bars flooded with locals. Homewood is ideal when you are like 40 years old with 5 kids...and even then its still a shaky idea because the northwest suburbs offer so much more. I left the south suburbs back in the 90's for the downtown/northside lifestyle and when I come back I always feel sorry for the people from my age group who still remain or never left. Half of them spend the majority of their time in the house on Facebook complaining and whining about relationships....why? because their lives are not fulfilled....and how could they be living in Homewood, Richton Park, Park Forest etc. I mean seriously???? Do not move out in the south suburbs as a young person.

Lets be real, there is nothing special about just living within the city in metro chicago that fulfills lives. People make there own choice to live where they live and everything is not within the city. I like the city too. But, the reality is most ADULTS who live in middle class and affluent suburbs work, own businesses, etc. Not hang out all day. I own multiple investment properties in the city and am in the city all the time tending to my investments, hanging out with friends, and some of my family on the southside. And most south burbs are all less than 15 minutes from the southside. Were you settle really comes down to who you know and where they live also. Chicago is really more of a metropolitan area then you care to admit. I would not diss the city at all. I think it's a great place to live and have lived there for most of my adult life. I even met my fiance while living in the city so yes you do bring up good points. But, if you look at downtown or in the more upscale areas a large percentage of the condos are second homes of affluent suburbanites. To me the burbs represents more of just wanting your own space and being on your own thing. Not having to bump into someone everytime you step out or having to be in a heavily populated mix all the time.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-21-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs