Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:10 AM

4 posts, read 22,443 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are relocating to Chicago from southern California for my schooling and to try something different. We are considering several places to lay down roots for the next few years, and I've gotten some reccomendations that the area around skokie would be a nice place. My only concern is that I would have to commute through downtown and back to get to work everyday at the University of Chicago. Google maps says I'm looking at about 21 miles, but can anyone tell me roughly the time It will take. Also, any comments or things I should know about skokie? Thanks to all those that post!

here is a link to google maps for the commute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 AM

335 posts, read 1,435,809 times
do you mean driving commute? to do it by el/bus would be ridiculously long, like 2 hours.

if you're driving, your best bet will be lakeshore drive. it will get cramped downtown around rush hour. i wouldn't want to do it.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:23 AM

Yeah, I did mean a drive. I figured public transport would be ridiculous. Any ideas on the time?

Old 07-01-2007, 12:43 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falztobias View Post
Yeah, I did mean a drive. I figured public transport would be ridiculous. Any ideas on the time?
my *guess* would be maybe 45-60 mins, if you avoid downtown during rush hour. from skokie, you'll need to take side streets to get to lsd. speed limit on lsd as 45 mph, but you'll see plenty of people driving 60+.

why that far north? for your wife? it might be a better compromise if you live on the north side around lakeview. it would be a much faster car commute for you (20-30 mins), and the "purple line" el runs express northward during rush hour (it connects at the edge of the city to the yellow line, which goes to skokie). getting to the south side from the north suburbs is a headache.

edit: maybe the interstate would be the better option, as google maps suggests. i do know that rush hour is typically much worse on the interstate than on lakeshore drive, esp with recent construction.

Last edited by Chi2NYC?; 07-01-2007 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-01-2007, 05:27 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
Wow, I wouldn't want to drive that EVERYDAY.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:40 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
UC in Hyde Park or downtown? If you drive, take Dempster over to Sheridan to Lake Shore Drive to the UofC. If you are gonna take public trans, take the Skokie Swift to Howard and the red line to Washington. Then you can take Metra right to the UofC or the #6 if you want to save another fare. Walk through the pedway to Metra if they ever reopen it. Check at the UofC for a carpool partner -- I'm sure there must be someone driving from Skokie everyday. Also, I think the UofC runs a bus to the campus from downtown so check on that, too. UC will help you with housing close to campus if you ask. Most of the professors and students live near the campus.

What should you know about Skokie? It ain't Evanston. But its not bad. A little far from city attractions and very suburbanish.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 PM

I guess I'm looking that far north to avoid heavy crime areas (my main misgiving with living in the hyde park and whole south-side itself), and it would be nice to be in a little quieter neighborhood. My wife also has a dog which complicates things, and we will need at least one car for my wife to get to her workplace. These seems seem easier in skokie, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it

Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
Quote:
I guess I'm looking that far north to avoid heavy crime areas (my main misgiving with living in the hyde park and whole south-side itself), and it would be nice to be in a little quieter neighborhood. My wife also has a dog which complicates things, and we will need at least one car for my wife to get to her workplace. These seems seem easier in skokie, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it
Lake Shore Drive is scenic ... if you can commute during off times to somewhat 'avoid' traffic. Otherwise, it's a parking lot.
I doubt that many U-Chicago faculty and staff live up in Evanston or Skokie. Many of them probably even find Hyde Park attractive.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 116,856 times
Quote:
The drive can get rather cumbersome. The Edens is only 3 lanes on each side to the 90/94 merge making it (94) only outdated by about 30 years. If you are looking for speedy travel times from Skokie to the Loop good luck. Traffic is rather heavy and slow esp. with people avoiding 294 due to the construction back ups there now from Touhy north. I agree with the idea of trying LSD though, hey its worth a shot. Are you set on living in the northern burbs? There are many other nice areas you might want to consider that are closer to the Loop.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:25 PM

49 posts, read 137,974 times
Skokie is a nice area to be in; my brother just bought his home there. It a small quiet suburban town with relatively good transportation. The area has good shopping malls (especially Old Orchard Mall) to do. I would suggest taking Dempster W to south Sheridan road (which becomes Lake Shore Drive and then Interstate 41), which will take you to south pass chicago downtown, and into 57th street. Make a west turn on 57th street and you will find definitely not miss the mile long of UC campus. The whole trip would take you about 1 hr /1hr 10min (around 8am) in the morning. This is the time that most people commute to work. Avoid taking the I94 East (the Edens) at all cost in Skokie because you could be stuck in traffic for 2 hours to get to UC.
I would like to get a house there if it wasn't for my meager income. have fun in Skokie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs