Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,324 times

Advertisements

Hi

we live in Europe at the moment and have never lived in the US (australian)...we are likely to move to Lisle for work...and need help where to live.

The office is in Lisle so the suburb needs to be a 30-35 min drive or train away Max.

We are both 35 and like a neighbourhood with shops, cafes, some nice restaurants that we can walk around in safely (baby arrives in March 2011).

Any suggestions? we would prefer to be closer to Chicago main city rather than the other side...

any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,513,820 times
Default Main side?

Chicago is nestled up againt Lake Michigan, essentially a small fresh water 'sea'. The lake front includes miles of beaches and parks.

Directly inland from that lake front is the area known as the "the Loop" (for the ring of ELevated light rail / transit that encircles it) is the core of the professional employment base.

Multitudes of residents of the region commute to the Loop on diesel-electric trains run by Metra that take them to / from a variety of rather mature, amenity laden suburbs. The quality of life, schools, housing are all quite amenable to families such as yourself. Towns such as Glen Ellyn, Naperville, Wheaton, Downers Grove, Clarendon Hills, Geneva, Hinsdale all have the shops, resturants, stoller / pram friendly walk ways you seem to be looking for. Lisle itself is a bit underdeveloped in this regard, and does have a higher concentration of large office parks with acres of parking than some towns, but it too is worth considering from a convenience stand point. Any of the towns I have listed would be within a 30 minute drive of a Lisle based office and also afford the convenience of a Metra train ride into the Loop of about the same time.

I am sure some folks will recommend other towns too, but in fairness to your request to keep travel times to office under 35 minutes I do not believe any others would work.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:00 PM

720 posts, read 3,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanGells View Post
Hi

we live in Europe at the moment and have never lived in the US (australian)...we are likely to move to Lisle for work...and need help where to live.

The office is in Lisle so the suburb needs to be a 30-35 min drive or train away Max.

We are both 35 and like a neighbourhood with shops, cafes, some nice restaurants that we can walk around in safely (baby arrives in March 2011).

Any suggestions? we would prefer to be closer to Chicago main city rather than the other side...

any help?
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it I like the west burbs but I imagine comming from Europe with small independantly owned cafes and stuff it may be somewhat disapointing to go to downtown lisle, naperville, elmhurst, etc where its chains like einstein bagels, starbucks, etc.

Just off the top of my head look into Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Lisle, Downers Grove, Naperville. All are safe, have good schools, decent downtown areas metra trains, etc.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,756,971 times
I think Downers Grove is a good choice. I love Naperville, but it's further from Chicago. (Naperville is west of Lisle, and Downers Grove is east, closer to Chicago.)

Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,324 times
Thanks all, very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs