Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:57 PM

145 posts, read 320,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The biggest problem would be finding a job in commercial construction. That is the deadest part of the economy.
I know. That's the biggest reason that I am not working now. I have actually been attending community college here, so if I don't find a job I would be looking for a place to take classes. That's part of the reason for our 250k ceiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,995,431 times
Have you considered renting for a year? It would be a hassle to move after a year, but I think it would be a lot worse to be stuck with a house if the move doesn't turn out the way you want it to. It would also give you the opportunity to really explore the area and see which towns would be the best fit for you.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,446,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Des Plaines does have less desirable high schools than the surrounding areas, but they aren't horrible.
I went to Maine East. It's a fine school.

It's difficult to find affordable housing in desirable areas this close to Chicago. In the immediate area maybe Niles or Morton Grove to the east. BTW It's the Union Pacific Northwest line that goes through Des Plaines. Perhaps something far northwest like Cary though that would be a 45 minute train ride each way and about 30 miles.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,295,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I went to Maine East. It's a fine school.

It's difficult to find affordable housing in desirable areas this close to Chicago. In the immediate area maybe Niles or Morton Grove to the east. BTW It's the Union Pacific Northwest line that goes through Des Plaines. Perhaps something far northwest like Cary though that would be a 45 minute train ride each way and about 30 miles.
I never said it wasn't, but compared to other high schools in the area, it is less desirable.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 AM

721 posts, read 1,796,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
$275k gets one closer to what might be realistic for even a smaller less than up to date place in a desirable suburb, every burb has some entry floor.

I guess if you are OK with one of the least desirable homes in a nicer town that might be one way to get into Northbrook or maybe even Park Ridge. In other towns ( like Morton Grove, Niles, Skokie to name a few) $275k might be a little closer to the median. Still within 30 minutes or so of DesPlaines, still good access to commuter rail into Chicago, schools mostly good, but not quite the same tier as Maine south or Glenbrook...The trade offs are that some of those towns have a far less up to date / versatile core "downtown" more dated feel with blocks of 50s & 60s homes that do not have much charm...
Maine South/Glenbrook North/South/New Trier are great schools, but your kids will be more than successful at any other school in the area. Don't let the schools test scores fool you into buying a run down house in Park Ridge because your kids will get to attend the holy grail of all high schools....Maine South. You'll end up paying 10,000 a year in property taxes for your kids to end up in the same universities as someone who graduated from Maine West.

I suggest you look into houses in Des Plaines, Skokie, Morton Grove, or Niles. They are all extremely affordable northern suburbs, with great schools. The only school I would suggest you seriously try to avoid is Maine East, just because it has more than its fair share of problems. Other than that, Des Plaines, Skokie, Morton Grove, and Niles all will give you everything you want/need. Don't settle for crap in Park Ridge, Glenview, or Northbrook when you can be more than comfortable in Des Plaines, Skokie, Morton Grove, or Niles.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:06 AM

721 posts, read 1,796,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I never said it wasn't, but compared to other high schools in the area, it is less desirable.
Maine East has to deal with a ton of underprivileged students and has a high amount of students who don't speak english as their first language, or speak it at all. Of course the test scores are going to suffer. A native english speaking family, with involved parents, can send their kids to Maine East and be correcting in assuming they will do well. It's the poor, unmotivated and foreigners who gave the school its current reputation. Maine East use to be just as wonderful of a school as the other 2, and at one point 3, Maine Township High Schools.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 AM

145 posts, read 320,921 times
I really appreciate all the information on the school. Education is important, but my kids do not have to go to "the best" school. The pp is right about having involved parents and your child getting a fine education in a decent school district. My younger child is currently receiving speech services through our school district. Does any one know about which school would have better special education services? His intelligence is not the problem.

To the pp who asked about renting. We may have to rent because we won't have time to find a house before the school year starts. In that case, we would probably just rent a small apartment. I would worry about starting in one school district and then switching to another the next year.

And to the PP who asked exactly where my husband's work would be in Des Plaines, I believe it is basically right next to O'hare. He has been doing the interviewing at another site in another part of the country.

We really excited about the idea of moving to the Chicago area. We are Big Ten grads and have always loved the area.

So, which (of the towns that have been suggested) has the best parks, shopping, doctors offices, etc.? Right now we can walk to the park/playground, the pool, have four grocery stores within 3 miles, preschool is very close by.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 AM

2,666 posts, read 3,865,112 times
I know people who live in either Mt Prospect or Arlington Heights and literally never leave either town because they like them so much and they offer all the amenities they need to live their lives.

Kind of boring but I guess, it is a testament to how they feel.
I bike from AH to MT P every day for work. Quiet neighborhood roads - no traffic. I consider myself lucky as I work with some people who drive Chicago area traffic for 2 -3 hrs/day total.

No way for me, - life is too short to sit in the traffic this area can throw at you some days. Keep the commute short!!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,276,236 times
From an elementary and high school standpoint here are my suggestions:
Arlington Heights-District 25 & 23, Hersey or Prospect HS. Mount Prospect-District 57, Prospect HS. Prospect Heights(Higher home cost, more rural atmosphere) District 23, Hersey HS.
Palatine is too far to bike commute, especially in mediocre weather. All towns listed have Metra Stations. If $ for house is too much, then look at Wheeling- the part served by Elem. Dist 23. Wheeling HS is not as highly regarded as Hersey or Prospect, but is in the same district and offers a full course catalog of AP and Honors classes.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
The suggestion of cubsoxfan are mostly spot on. If you are serious about bicycling to work you might put Rosemont on the list, but it is a very odd and literally walled off community. You also want to avoid renting an apartment in either Rosemont, DesPlaines or Wheeling, as the complexes in those towns are much much more rowdy than renting a single family home. With all the distressed property renting culd be a bargain...

To those that suggest that only dumps are available at the low end of the price scale in desirable towns I flat out disagree -- there are some very lovely and quite livable homes that just a few years ago would have commanded much more as builders drove prices for tear downs sky high. There are real advantages to a top notch school district, superior services for students that need them are offered and extras like instruction in French or other classical foreign languages are a huge plus. Further the reality is that an inexpensive home in an otherwise desireable to town will have a LOWER tax bill than in many other towns. $10k tax bills are not going to be found in any mature community in the OP's price range...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs