Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 24,100 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am moving to Chicago land from MI and am interested in renting a place for next two years. I work in the downtown area and we are not sure where my wife will find her next job. She will most likely find a job in Chicago downtown, Downers Grove and Northern suburb areas like Lincolnshire, Schaumburg, etc.

We have a two year old daughter. So, a good day care center and easy access to parks are also important to us.

Looking at the map, Des Plaines seems to be a good location, central and driveable to most of the other suburbs. Lot of new construction and renovation seems to be happening in the downtown Des Plaines area. And the metra station is right there.

Is that a right assessment? Or is there anything we need to be aware of before moving there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
If you work downtown, Des Plaines will be a decent location. There is horrid traffic in that area, particularly on the interchange. The town is decent, but thats about it. Lots of airport noise and congestion in that area. Its racially mixed, lots of Italians and Polish as well as Hispanics and some African-Americans as well.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 24,100 times
Just a decent town, huh!

What other near Des Plaines would you suggest for my situation (metra to downtown, driveable distance to lot of other suburbs and good day care centers)?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM

To be honest, I hardly go to that area, it doesnt interest me. There is alot of congestion and nothing in the area attracts me, other than the Allstate Arena. LOL Schaumburg is a nice town, as is parts of Hoffman Estates. Bloomingdale isnt too far off either and is a very nice town. When I think of Des Plaines, I instantly think of bad traffic and the airport... not much else.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:06 AM

3 posts, read 18,412 times
I don't know if you moved to the Chicago area yet, but if you haven't, don't listen to the other replies. I live in Des Plaines and its a great town. It's centrally located and in spite of the other comments, it's not noisy and it's only congested now because of all the road improvements going on. It's an affordable town and has been improving by leaps and bounds. The Des Plaines River runs through it on the east side. A bike trail is currently under construction and the Mystic Waters swimming park is a major attraction for families each summer.

The public schools are very good and we have an incredible choice of private schools that are challenging for the bright , namely the Science and Arts Academy and Willows.

There are very nice homes and lots of condos! Transportation by train to the Loop is very easy. The airport is close by and the interstate highway system gets you anywhere you want.

Des Plaines is not a sleepy town, but it is not your type if you are looking for a hot bar scene. The taxes are generally lower in Des Plaines than some neighboring towns like Park Ridge or Arlington Heights.

The health system is very good with Lutheran General nearby which has been rated as one of the best hospitals for heart care and trauma.

Hope you settle here. It's an old town that is regentrifying. Best of luck

Old 07-17-2007, 12:44 AM

14 posts, read 40,559 times
How are the property taxes computed in Des Plaines? For example, if I had a $260,000 condo, how much would I expect to pay in taxes per year?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuterlady View Post
I don't know if you moved to the Chicago area yet, but if you haven't, don't listen to the other replies. I live in Des Plaines and its a great town. It's centrally located and in spite of the other comments, it's not noisy and it's only congested now because of all the road improvements going on. It's an affordable town and has been improving by leaps and bounds. The Des Plaines River runs through it on the east side. A bike trail is currently under construction and the Mystic Waters swimming park is a major attraction for families each summer.

The public schools are very good and we have an incredible choice of private schools that are challenging for the bright , namely the Science and Arts Academy and Willows.

There are very nice homes and lots of condos! Transportation by train to the Loop is very easy. The airport is close by and the interstate highway system gets you anywhere you want.

Des Plaines is not a sleepy town, but it is not your type if you are looking for a hot bar scene. The taxes are generally lower in Des Plaines than some neighboring towns like Park Ridge or Arlington Heights.

The health system is very good with Lutheran General nearby which has been rated as one of the best hospitals for heart care and trauma.

Hope you settle here. It's an old town that is regentrifying. Best of luck

Just curious as to how its been improving by "leaps and bounds"? My last few trips through Des Plaines didnt reveal a single new thing. Of course I didnt see the whole town, but what I saw was the same ol, same ol. And IMO its VERY noisy there, the jet traffic is non-stop and quite obnoxious. Im sure you get used to it over time, but I often wonder how people can live directly under flight paths.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:51 PM

94 posts, read 466,812 times
Des Planes is an older suburb. Back when hillary clinton was growing up, it was the type of palce you moved to when you couldnt afford to move to park ridge. Most of the homes are older and stop at the split level era of the 60s. Than you have the tear downs, 3000sq ft spectales on 4500 sq ft of land. Very socioeconomically diverse. Everything from slumplex's and trailer homes to million dollar plus teardowns. Home of a serial killer gacy, he had tons of bodies in his bungalow. Traffic is mainly due to the fact that the airport is nearby, lots of freight train traffic too. Not an overly beautiful city but not overly undecent. Id say its pretty mediocore. If you can afford it id shoot for park ridge.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 18,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just curious as to how its been improving by "leaps and bounds"? My last few trips through Des Plaines didnt reveal a single new thing. Of course I didnt see the whole town, but what I saw was the same ol, same ol. And IMO its VERY noisy there, the jet traffic is non-stop and quite obnoxious. Im sure you get used to it over time, but I often wonder how people can live directly under flight paths.
Dear Pandabear,
If you don't know what you're talking about, stop! John Wayne Gacy did not live in Des Plaines. He lived on the far NW side of Chicago in Norwood Township. It was a job Gacy offered to a Des Plaines young man that cracked the case. After the boy didn't return home, the Des Plaines Police Department and its chief detective, Joe K., doggedly pursued Gacy and forced the search of his home.

True, many homes are older since Des Plaines grew after WWII. As far airport noise, I lived in Park Ridge before Des Plaines. I could recognoze the faces of the passengers when the planes flew overhead. Des Plaines has air traffic too, but it depends where you live. Most of the homes have been soundproofed or are in the process of being soundproofed that are affected by airport noise. The high school here in Des Plaines, Maine West, is part of the same district as the two schools in Park Ridge, Maine East and Maine South. Having lived in both communities, I can tell you that Park Ridge is a bit overrated. All of the slams you have attached to Des Plaines really should be attached to Park Ridge. The teardown explosion started there and some of the streets look like no one was paying attention to zoning. While the mini mansions flourish, the streets and sewers have not kept pace. You may be living in a million dollar home with a street scape of a rural community.

Flooding problems are my area of expertise. Des Plaines can boast that it is the only community where its Federal, state and local officials got together to make the first flood mitigation project on the Des Plaines River a reality. As a result the area in Park Ridge that flooded twice in 2 years back in 1987 and 1988 is now protected thanks in major part to our Mayor, Tony Arredia.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 12,951 times
Default Des Plaines

I am a relatively young military retiree who just retd to Chicagoland after many years in service.

We settled in Des Plaines. It is racially and culturally diverse like the military, which we prefer. It allows all income levels a place to call their home.

It is not a bedroom community, it is a real town with real jobs, has a great Park District, the Des Plaines River, and a chapter of the Izaac Walton League if you want to canoe on the river.

Its proximity to Metra train, airport, highways and main roads makes it a great commuter spot. The Allstate Arena is also nearby for all kinds of events. It is very easy to reach for friends and family visiting!

Local hospitals in Glenbrook and Park Ridge are awesome for care. They are literally next door.

I recommend the neighborhoods that touch Rosemont, they are quiet and friendly with lots of parks.

The downtown has been rehabbed and has a FABULOUS new library with a Farmer's Market in front! Oakton Community College is here, and also a satellite of DePaul University.

Incidentally, it is a straight shot from Des Plaines/Rosemont area to Loyola University Medical Center. LUMC is a beautiful medical campus with a Medical and Nursing School, with world class care including Trauma and Burns and the Ronald McDonald Pediatric Hospital located in Maywood (an economically distressed suburb at the edge of Chicago). If you work there you get FREE tuition at Loyola University (main campus on Chicago lakefront and satellite campuses all over town) AND SO DOES YOUR FAMILY!

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs