Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,294 times

Advertisements

If you've only got 550 a month to spend on rent I don't advise trying to go to Six Flags or Key Lime Cove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 PM

281 posts, read 928,159 times
I don't know why some people love to dump on Waukegan. I live in Park City (next town west). I have a friend lives on Baxter; it is a very nice and safe neighborhood. I don't know much about Imperial Tower, but the building is nice and well-maintained outside. The Lewis Fresh Supermarket is absolutely amazing. Wonderful produce, incredibly cheap, great fresh butcher department, and the most remarkable collection of international foods I've ever seen. Gurnee is way out of your budget, Kenosha is a long commute, and the only way is to drive. Waukegan is picking up, some new businesses and nice restaurants and coffee shops. It's a good town, don't be put off by the trolls.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
There are nice parts of Waukegan. The city gets a bad rap because it has always been a little rough. First until the 1970s with many blue collar workers, then in the 1980s thru present with heavy gang activity. It is one of the more gang and crime infested burbs, especially in Lake County. When people lump Waukegan, Zion, and North Chicago together, it's because of crime. Also there is a lack of entertainment options in Waukegan right now, possibly contributing to the gang problem.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,585 times
What is the attraction there for the Mexicans?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:08 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
There are some decent parts in Waukegan. I'll admit there are a lot of gangs in the town but crime is not too high from what I hear

mas23

Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,585 times
Thanks! would you reccommend living in Harvard, Rockton, Crystal Lake, Skokie or Elgin before Mexico (Waukegan)? I understand Naperville is pretty nice, any thoughts? Just a normal family of four here (two boys, 16 and 12 years old) exploring a job there. Moving from Southern California, we have our fare share of Mexicans here for sure, however, I am really surprised in the amount there. Must be the free health care...

Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOn411 View Post
I just graduated from college on the east coast and am taking a one year job in Waukegan. I am going to be making a very small living allowance (will have about 550-600) for rent, as it is basically a volunteer service position.

I'm looking for advice on where to live. I'd like to live close to work and have found a few apartments that seem to be in a good location, but I don't actually know about the area. One is Madison West on Madison St. Another is Little Fort Apartments on N Genesee St and the last is Cinnamon Lake Towers on W Glen Flora Ave. Can anyone tell me about these buildings or just the general area of them? Are they in safe parts of the town?

Also, I've noticed there seem to be a lot of cheaper apartments in Kenosha, how is the commute between those two places? Is it doable everyday?

Finally, as I'm coming from half way across the country and have never even been to Chicago before, I have no idea what to expect from Waukegan. I've read a lot of bad things on this forum about the area, but many seem to have said that it was beginning to be revitalized in the last few years. What is there to do for entertainment? Are there any good bars/restaurants around the area? Are there many people around my age (I'm 22) or is more of an older area?

Any answers to the above questions or random advice about the area would be appreciated, thanks!
My first piece of advice would be A. Don't move to Waukegan!!! B. My second piece of advice is if you ignore my first piece of advice don't buy nice stuff, buy a gun and a large dog.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:56 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times
I just posted kind of a stupid comment knocking the area and don't get me wrong Waukegan isn't an awesome place to live but also probably not quite as bad as I made it out to be either.

The one thing I would say is good for you for moving across the country. Your young and that takes guts to up and leave family and friends and go to a new place, new job, don't really know anyone. Good job on doing that and wish you success in your job.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:31 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Default Are we talking about Waukegan or East St. Louis?!

Ahhh, the intelligence associated with people painting opinions with a broad brush..........a VERY broad brush
I can show you some nice sections of Waukegan with comfortable surroundings. I can show you some middle class sections and I can show you some less desirable areas as well. You don't have to worry about the quality of schools so that takes one of the bigger negatives out of the equation. It is a town that suffered when it's manufacturing base declined in the late 60's and 70's, has tried to recover and has had very mixed results.

had to say something because some of the posters are making it sound like East St. Louis, which it certainly is not.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
With the renovated Genesse Theatre Waukegan has become one of the Midwest's great cultural centers. You also have gorgeous old neighborhoods and and a rich and exciting history (it was the home of Jack Benny). Then there is the stunning lakefront, quick train service to Chicago and upscale shopping at the still developing Fountain Square lifestyle center. Waukegan is one of the great jewels of the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs