Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,039 times

Advertisements

Beautiful cadillac's back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 08:47 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
In my opinion Cadillac's have always been overrated. In the 10's, 20's, 30's and 40's Packard and a few other American brands were better than Cadillac. Then in the 50's and 60's Imperials were better. In the 70's, 80's and 90's all American cars went down hill and BMW and Mercedes were better than Cadillac. Cadillac has never been the standard of the world like they have always loved to say. The Cadillac's of the 70's and 80's were a joke. The wood was fake, the interiors were big and plush but the quality of materials used was lagging behind the competition, the styling was antiquated, the plastic fins disintegrated, the engines were inefficient and some were unreliable, and the paint was crap. The Cadillac's of the 40's, 50's and 60's were far superior and there styling ahead of many when compared to the ones of the 70's and 80's. The Cadillac's of today have improved but they are wanabe BMW's and Lexus's.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:52 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
My Dad's first Caddy was a 73' Coupe Deville he purchased in 1978. The car got 7 miles to the gallon city 10 hwy. I recall him putting leaded gas in it. The car was triple brown, beautiful plush seats. The dashboard was padded like a pillow. The doors were so heavy. All the windows opened. The car had had electrical gremlins and he sold it in July of 83'.

He purchased a brand spanking new 1983 Coupe Deville. Triple Midnight blue with white pinstrip. The car got an amazing 17 city and we saw 25 mpg on the highway once on trip down to Atlantic city. We drove that car every where.

That car wound up being my first car.

I had always wanted an Eldorado. My second car in 1992 was a 1981 Eldo. It had the the 368 motor that power wise blew away the 83' coupe. The gas mileage was terrible. I think if that car had overdrive it would have been a much better car.

I had a 97' Deville concurs which I liked, but my favorite Cassy was my 90' coupe DeVille. Best Caddy ever

Old 10-29-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
In my opinion Cadillac's have always been overrated. In the 10's, 20's, 30's and 40's Packard and a few other American brands were better than Cadillac. Then in the 50's and 60's Imperials were better. In the 70's, 80's and 90's all American cars went down hill and BMW and Mercedes were better than Cadillac. Cadillac has never been the standard of the world like they have always loved to say. The Cadillac's of the 70's and 80's were a joke. The wood was fake, the interiors were big and plush but the quality of materials used was lagging behind the competition, the styling was antiquated, the plastic fins disintegrated, the engines were inefficient and some were unreliable, and the paint was crap. The Cadillac's of the 40's, 50's and 60's were far superior and there styling ahead of many when compared to the ones of the 70's and 80's. The Cadillac's of today have improved but they are wanabe BMW's and Lexus's.
that's your opinion.
the caddy's of the 70's and the 80's (except for that piece of garbage called Cinnaron) were the best.
and the commercials are so nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBI6op1PKTI

but this is the best one, wish they revive it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Ha_sFNsqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IG9EsoFCm4

Old 10-30-2014, 09:06 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
I'm going to be buying a 64 Cadillac Sedan Deville next week. I checked it out before hand, drove it around, made sure it wasn't much of a project, as I am done dealing with major project cars.

From just seeing the car in person, getting the feel of the interior, the 64's and 65 Cadillac's had to be the very last best years in terms of overall quality for the brand. Styling was still at it's peak, the reason why I love the 63-64's years specifically is because they remind me a lot of the 59-60 Cad's.

The front grills are especially similar in design, with the 59-60 models obviously being much more curvy, bold, and busty compared to the subdued 63-64 models. I love the 64 rear treatment of the tail lamps, and fins, the 63-64 Cadillac's looks older than it is as it has traces of the late 50's written all over it.

The 64 interior is a little plain ( I actually prefer the 65's more), but it still has lots of bright chrome trim, and it's built very well. I know for a fact by 67 Cadillac's interiors got really cheap feeling and looking. Plastics started to find it's way inside the car, even the leather and vinyl quality didn't feel as nice. I used to own a 68 Coupe Deville, so I know this for a fact. The 64's too me were Cadillac's best model year for the 60's in regards to not only the last year for awesome styling ( fins included), but for quality, and even powertrain performance.

The 429 engine and Turbo 400 trans was as bulletproof as you can get. Plus it can easily shoot the car up to 70 MPH like the thing weighed only 20 lbs. The steel quality, is great on this car too, it feels solid, the structure is sound, and there are no squeaks or rattles.

This will give me a chance to truly compare my 61 Lincoln Continental to a 64 Caddy once I have it home.

Both are great cars, but very different in a good way, and at least back then you could tell a difference in not only the styling direction each brand took, but the way the cars drove and felt. Even the smell, and interior materials were very different.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
My grandfather had a 70's Cadillac (not sure if it was a 77-79 model year though) and he traded it in on an 84-86 Cadillac. He always said the newer Cadillac was far better than his older one, didn't miss it a bit.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
My grandfather had a 70's Cadillac (not sure if it was a 77-79 model year though) and he traded it in on an 84-86 Cadillac. He always said the newer Cadillac was far better than his older one, didn't miss it a bit.

I personally would have to disagree. 80's Cadillac's were smaller, and not well known for their reliability nor quality.

The 80's Broughams were super nice however, especially the D'Elegance equipped Broughams.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:00 PM

Cadillac were great for the mafia back then.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
Cadillac were great for the mafia back then.

Dats right!!!!! Fuggutaboutit! ME's and Joey's are gonna go get some cannoles at that old pistoles, on the wayz back we'z gonna pick up dee ravioli's in the ole Loompa ( Cadillac ) from big fat Don Pepperonis. Capish Tony???

Old 10-31-2014, 05:59 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Dats right!!!!! Fuggutaboutit! ME's and Joey's are gonna go get some cannoles at that old pistoles, on the wayz back we'z gonna pick up dee ravioli's in the ole Loompa ( Cadillac ) from big fat Don Pepperonis. Capish Tony???
Yes, I agree. After the 1976 model year, Cadillac wasn't quite the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC