Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which new 2009 full-size truck would you choose?
Dodge Ram 1500 3 7.69%
Chevrolet Silverado 12 30.77%
GMC Sierra 6 15.38%
Ford F150 15 38.46%
Toyota Tundra 8 20.51%
Nissan Titan 0 0%
Cadillac Escalade EXT 2 5.13%
Lincoln Mark LT 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,285,654 times

Advertisements

I have been kicking the idea of a new full-size truck. I like ALL of the latest ones and cannot decide, even when driving them.

I especially like the fact that Dodge now has full-coil suspension, the looks of the new Silverado and F-150. I think the Tundra and Titan are going to be hard to get a good deal on. I am looking for a base model (but with options like cloth interior and carpeting, A/C, etc). Base engine, automatic transmission. Regular cab, 2wd, long bed.

Our local Ford dealer has amazing prices on the remaining new 2008 F150s. I can get one for about $13,200 - but really like that new 2009 redesign.

So.... 2009

Dodge Ram 1500
Chevrolet Silverado / GMC Sierra
Ford F-150
Toyota Tundra
Nissan Titan

and though I cannot afford one - I am also adding Cadillac and Lincoln trucks here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 05:30 AM

886 posts, read 5,725,325 times
The Chevy and GMC hold there value the best. They have the best ride and most comfortable interior. The Toyota has know engine problems with the 5.7L. Ford and the Dodge have terible fuel econ. but that is to be expicted with trucks. I have never had to deal with the Titan so I have no advise there.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,565,782 times
Tennesseestorm, I just bought an '08 Ford F150 and love it. This may sound silly, but I have a standard cab and I prefer the little glass window in the aft door to the black plastic panel in the standard '09 cabs... ( I have a difficult merge situation leaving my job and that little window adds amazing visibility for me)

Old 01-02-2009, 07:28 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,640,459 times
I love the '09 F-150's personally this is what I'd choose over all of them. I also chose the GM trucks as well. They do seem to hold there value as someone else said. GM trucks always seem to get the job done. I'm not sure about the rest. Stay away from Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,171,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I have been kicking the idea of a new full-size truck. I like ALL of the latest ones and cannot decide, even when driving them.

I especially like the fact that Dodge now has full-coil suspension, the looks of the new Silverado and F-150. I think the Tundra and Titan are going to be hard to get a good deal on. I am looking for a base model (but with options like cloth interior and carpeting, A/C, etc). Base engine, automatic transmission. Regular cab, 2wd, long bed.

Our local Ford dealer has amazing prices on the remaining new 2008 F150s. I can get one for about $13,200 - but really like that new 2009 redesign.

So.... 2009

Dodge Ram 1500
Chevrolet Silverado / GMC Sierra
Ford F-150
Toyota Tundra
Nissan Titan

and though I cannot afford one - I am also adding Cadillac and Lincoln trucks here

A good friend of mine buys 5 trucks at a time for his 4 field superviser and himself every 3 years. I asked him why he switched over to yhe Toyota Tundra. And he told me that it was the only truck that was able to hold up to the abuse his men and the work would put them thru. As a brick mason you know they beat the heck out of those trucks. Plus, he said that he has had less if any problems at all, "outside regular scheduled maintainence", with the Toyota trucks than he did with ford, dodge and gmc.
That one of the reasons I bought a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner accesscab in 2008, I love it and I'll never go back to any of the so called big three.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,092,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I love the '09 F-150's personally this is what I'd choose over all of them. I also chose the GM trucks as well. They do seem to hold there value as someone else said. GM trucks always seem to get the job done. I'm not sure about the rest. Stay away from Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon.

I agree with you on the 2009 Ford F 150's but other than that I dont agree with you.I am and Will always be a Ford Man

Old 01-02-2009, 08:21 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,778,514 times
I had a 2005 Ford F150 Lariet 2wd, 5.4 and though I loved the looks and power to me it was not comfortable. I was always moving around to get a better position. Then I bought an 06 Dodge 1500 4wd 4dr with 5.7 Hemi and loved the comfort inside and rode nicer down road. Mileage sucked. The drivers side power sear motor is what bothers me in the Ford. I would still buy a Ford though and next week I'm going on a 800 mile trip and we are renting a 4 dr Toyoto Tundra so will see how we like that.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 AM

687 posts, read 2,957,246 times
Because dealers and areas of the country affect new prices, I'll just throw out the "resale" value from a reputable source.

Reviewing the NADA clean retail on all but the Titan(never heard anything good about them).......this is what a 2008 20,000 mile base model regular cab 1/2t 2wd comes back as on "clean retail"
Chevy 16,775
Tundra 16,375
Ford 16,125
Dodge 14,250
So resale seems to be best with the Chevy, followed by Tundra, Ford and Dodge bringing up a very distant last place.
Here in the southwest Tundras easily take first in resale, but are also the most expensive to purchase new. If it were not for the standard cab, long bed requirement you spec'd, I'd say look at the Tundra "grade" truck(their version of a work truck), comes with access cab, carpet, cd and all the usual fancy stuff, but a short bed, steel wheels and no chrome. Phoenix dealers have them for 20grand. And I've heard nothing about engine problems with the 5.7, but I don't know it all.
I would think that your specs for a standard cab will eventually hurt your resale more than the initial cost of a extended cab.
The Dodge is a gorgeous truck, and if they stay in business the lifetime warranty would be a good thing, but the resale is absolutely awful.
Titans....I've heard of engine and trans problems, isn't Dodge supposed to be supplying the drivetrains this year?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,034,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
A good friend of mine buys 5 trucks at a time for his 4 field superviser and himself every 3 years. I asked him why he switched over to yhe Toyota Tundra. And he told me that it was the only truck that was able to hold up to the abuse his men and the work would put them thru. As a brick mason you know they beat the heck out of those trucks. Plus, he said that he has had less if any problems at all, "outside regular scheduled maintainence", with the Toyota trucks than he did with ford, dodge and gmc.
That one of the reasons I bought a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner accesscab in 2008, I love it and I'll never go back to any of the so called big three.

Just the opposite in my buisness. Have nine pickup trucks that all pull a trailer. The Toyota cannot handle the job. They might be a good truck for running around but don't try to work it hard.

If you want a real truck with power, get a Chevrolet or Dodge with a diesel engine. The more weight you put behind them to pull the better they run. And they get great mpg.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,171,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Just the opposite in my buisness. Have nine pickup trucks that all pull a trailer. The Toyota cannot handle the job. They might be a good truck for running around but don't try to work it hard.

If you want a real truck with power, get a Chevrolet or Dodge with a diesel engine. The more weight you put behind them to pull the better they run. And they get great mpg.
Well one things for sure and that is, you can never beat the power of the Diesel, especially the Triton diesel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive