Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times

Advertisements

I realize that I am coming in late, BUT...

Do you really think it is wise to buy ANY used sports cars?

Trust me you really don't want mine, I drive it hard and beat the snot out of it,

So long as the owner does not hit anything, wash it, polish it, and it looks like new !!!

SO.... Do you really want to buy mine, or a new unsoiled model, that's not pre-beaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 PM

78,375 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post

Trust me you really don't want mine, I drive it hard and beat the snot out of it,

So long as the owner does not hit anything, wash it, polish it, and it looks like new !!!

SO.... Do you really want to buy mine, or a new unsoiled model, that's not pre-beaten.
I hear ya. My decision came easy to me as I got a new one for not a whole lot more than the used ones were selling. :-)

Old 08-12-2008, 06:30 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,307 times
Quote:
Sure it is. In the Corvette community alone there are a lot of cars that live a pampered life. I wouldn't be a bit scared to pick one up for a substantial discount.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Sure it is. In the Corvette community alone there are a lot of cars that live a pampered life. I wouldn't be a bit scared to pick one up for a substantial discount.
Good points.
I'm buying a long term service contract (below cost through my employer).
It's also transferable.
So if I sell the car in 5 years...whoever buys it would still have at least 3 years of full bumper to bumper warranty on it. That wouldn't be a bad deal for a "used" car.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:12 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good points.
I'm buying a long term service contract (below cost through my employer).
It's also transferable.
So if I sell the car in 5 years...whoever buys it would still have at least 3 years of full bumper to bumper warranty on it. That wouldn't be a bad deal for a "used" car.

Congrats on your Z06! great choice.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:01 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:

Its not so much how the car was driven but how it was cared for. When buying used, I look for the service records. If the seller doesn't have any record of maint, or can't even find the owner's manual, its time to walk away - especially with such a popular car like a Corvette.

Besides, if you think sports cars are abused, try looking at used family cars - they are typically treaded as appliances and get only the most basic maint if any - I've seen used Camrys with 20k mi and original oil...

Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Please share your thoughts on the pros and cons of new vs. used vette purchase. Assume spending 50k or less.

Purpose: Fun. Won't be driving it a ton though so expect low annual mileage accrual and ownership for 10 years.

Also,
1. What does part-time insurance generally cost?
2. Depreciation, maintenance, other tips appreciated.
3. Deals? Cash vs. loan and are the running any specials

I'm sure I am missing something so throw your pennies in please.
I own a 2006 and a 1970 Corvette. Like anything else, you can save alot of money by buying a 2 year old good used Corvette versus a new one ; you can eliminate a big depreciation drop , Dealer Prep fees, Transportation fees, etc... I have agreed value (part time) insurance on both Vettes with a max. miles driven of 5000 on the 2006 and 2500 on the 1970. Premium on the 2006 is $479 and $240 on the 1970 (yearly). There is steady depreciation on Corvettes for approx. 25 years then the value holds steady then starts to increase. My 1970 cost $4460 new in 1970 and is now worth $30,000 conservatively in this present soft market (its a Big Block engine, 454 cid, 4 speed). Owning a modern Corvette, you get the benefit of technological advances and they are numerous . My 2006 is a luxury sports car combining great performance with comfort . By comparison, my 1970 is 'clunky' with less comfort but with that high performance exhaust sound of the muscle car era and the throw back feel in your seat when you put the pedal down ; when the double pumper Carb opens up and the exhaust starts screaming loud decibles combined with the tires breaking loose at 40 mph in 3rd gear...it brings a certain satisfaction to your soul which is ONLY second to 'one other thing' !

Old 08-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Premium on my 2007 Z06 is 960 a year with somewhat higher deductibles selected.
Seems somewhat reasonable more or less and I have all my other insurance with them so I'm going to keep it the way it is.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
"Part-time" car insurance can still be a lot. I have three cars...the cheapest insurance is on the one I have listed as my daily driver (Explorer). Both sports cars are listed as >10% driving time, and they are over $1000/year each!

Figure that into your budget and have a blast!

Old 08-16-2008, 05:20 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
"Part-time" car insurance can still be a lot. I have three cars...the cheapest insurance is on the one I have listed as my daily driver (Explorer). Both sports cars are listed as >10% driving time, and they are over $1000/year each!

Figure that into your budget and have a blast!
You can get that premium down alot on the sports cars . Try Insurance Companies that write sports cars at a pre-determined max. miles driven and agreed value . Try American Modern , Haggerty, and American Collectors Insurance Company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC