Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 06:28 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,277,964 times

Advertisements

I've been somewhat fixated on the Z06 Corvette of late, scheming of ways to get one and watching videos of them, pricing them, digging up anything I could find on them... until I came across the ZR1. Then I forgot all about the Z06.

Since more is better, and, by extension, too much just about right, I find the ZR1 has irresistible appeal for me.I like the body work better, and the horsepower just seems to click with me, but I have to wonder, what is the purpose of those butterfly valves in the exhausts????

Isn't that just back-pressure? Why would you want that? They make the engine quieter at low RPM too, and for Pete's sake, who on earth would want that? I just don't get it!

Also, I'm having to wonder why Chevy will supercharge the 6.2 liter motor, but not the 7.0 liter motor. Come on! In for a penny....

Is it possible to get the 7 liter supercharged? Can you have the dealer get rid of those ridiculous butterfly valves in the exhausts? Enquiring minds want to know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,393,577 times
The Corvette forum is probably a great place for all things Vette .I think i read somewhere it was second only to the Mustang forum in size, i'd post a link but for some reason CD takes a dim view of other forums being posted.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,277,964 times
I didn't know there was a Corvette forum....I'll check that out.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 AM

5,642 posts, read 24,983,570 times
The butterfly exhaust are great... my son refitted his C6 with them... loud and free flowing when you really push but civilized and quiet most of the time (he did his so he can switch them anytime).

Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,256,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I've been somewhat fixated on the Z06 Corvette of late, scheming of ways to get one and watching videos of them, pricing them, digging up anything I could find on them... until I came across the ZR1. Then I forgot all about the Z06.

Since more is better, and, by extension, too much just about right, I find the ZR1 has irresistible appeal for me.I like the body work better, and the horsepower just seems to click with me, but I have to wonder, what is the purpose of those butterfly valves in the exhausts????

Isn't that just back-pressure? Why would you want that? They make the engine quieter at low RPM too, and for Pete's sake, who on earth would want that? I just don't get it!

Also, I'm having to wonder why Chevy will supercharge the 6.2 liter motor, but not the 7.0 liter motor. Come on! In for a penny....

Is it possible to get the 7 liter supercharged? Can you have the dealer get rid of those ridiculous butterfly valves in the exhausts? Enquiring minds want to know...
Not everyone wants WOT volume all the time. It gets very tiring.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:10 PM

556 posts, read 1,229,229 times
The valves control the flow through the mufflers. Sound passes through the muffled side when they are closed and above 3500 they open and are basically straight pipes. This allows more sound without drone. BTW the Z06 has bi-mode exhaust too. A simple fuse pull disables them from closing and they are open all the time.

The drop to 6.2L is easy to explain. Cylinder wall thickness. When you increase bore you are making the area between cylinders thinner. Throw boost at it and you can have issues. Sure people supercharge their LS7s but GM has to be confident enough to offer ther 5yr/100k warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC