Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:14 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

Any links to basic info on the Corvette? For any fans, my year of interest is 72-74 and maybe 79-80.

were Corvettes like hybrids of a Nova, Vega and Chevelle(like the 'Cuda/Challenger, Camaro) or was it a specialty car unto itself?

Did they ride quietly? Or noisier than a Chevelle? What was gas mileage like? Could one get a Chevelle that was personal luxury/conservative instead of souped-up sporty? Could you get one with a column shifter or were they all floors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
79-80? Aw man, that was without a doubt the worst era for Corvettes.

Sounds like what you're interested isn't basic information but fairly specific info. I'd search the web for Corvette forums and start asking your questions there. In particular, look for a forum that either specializes in C3s or at least one that has its forum broken down into eras.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
A corvette is a full blown sports car they never had colum shift and the 72-74 esp. the 72 are very expensive and the 77-82 are smog choked and de-tuned and the L-48 made 180 HP. Because of that and weird syling they are not very desirable. If you are looking for a cheap corvette look for a 92-96 C4 with LT1 that came standard with 300HP and a T-56 6-speed they are cheap to buy and will run circles around the C3 corvette while getting decent fuel mileage with the 6 speed.

a corvette shares nothing with chevelles or nova except the hi-po motors corvette had a IRS since the C2 stingray all the under pinnings on corvette are unique to it.
corvettes ride rough and are noisy the are made for the track and can be used for daily driving if you don't mind the harsh ride and V8 burble they also get very hot in the interior so a working A/C is a must in older corvettes.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:03 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Any links to basic info on the Corvette? For any fans, my year of interest is 72-74 and maybe 79-80.

were Corvettes like hybrids of a Nova, Vega and Chevelle(like the 'Cuda/Challenger, Camaro) or was it a specialty car unto itself?

Did they ride quietly? Or noisier than a Chevelle? What was gas mileage like? Could one get a Chevelle that was personal luxury/conservative instead of souped-up sporty? Could you get one with a column shifter or were they all floors?
Methinks you need to do a little basic research on this model. Where did you come up with these rather odd choices for years of interest?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
As far as a C3 I'd go pre 74 or 80-82. As said a C4 LT1 with 6 speed is a nice car, but for something nice expect to start around $7.5, you could get a L98 auto for cheaper. Corvettes are unique cars. Chevelles can come dressed up with bench seats and column shifter.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
As far as a C3 I'd go pre 74 or 80-82. As said a C4 LT1 with 6 speed is a nice car, but for something nice expect to start around $7.5, you could get a L98 auto for cheaper. Corvettes are unique cars. Chevelles can come dressed up with bench seats and column shifter.
yeah but the extra $2K for the LT1 and T-56 is worth it over the cheaper L98 plus the Lt1 has a huge after market the 84 is cheap but terrible with it's crossfire injection 85 was the first year of the TPI L98 350 which was leap years ahead of the cross fire 84 in terms of reliability and performance and the LT1 was leap years ahead of the L98 in the same fashion and brought modren EFI into play.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:37 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

Wikipedia is a good source of basic information on this.

Chevrolet Corvette C3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for comparison with a car you listed
Chevrolet Chevelle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vette's were meant to be sports cars. Where a Chevelle could be a 5-6 passenger (or more for a chevelle wagon) with a full sized trunk the vette was a 2-seater with a very small cargo area behind the seats.

Where a Chevelle was an all steel bodied car the vette had an all fiberglass body.

In terms of value any vette between 75 and 82 is not even worth looking at unless they are practically giving it away. Lots will not have appreciated in value from their original purchase price. And they were the most puny powered of all Corvettes ever produced. The worst was the '81 with it's 190hp 305. (strike that....apperently there was a 165hp 350ci offered in 1975 but at least there were other engine offerings where in 1981 there was no optional engine)

73 & 74 were better.

Of that generation though the 68-72 were the best IMO. Lots of power and good styling. If I were really looking for one of that generation It would definitely be 68-72.

73 & on started using the crappy plastic front bumper covers (in place of chromed steel).....and they were spectacularly craptastic. They did not weather well and warped/cracked/broke etc.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:01 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
..the 77-82 are smog choked and de-tuned and the L-48 made 180 HP.
Actually I believe the top of the line engine for the Corvette during the late 70's was the L82 which I believe made somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-230, depending on the year hp.

Of interest I believe I read somewhere that a 1977-79 Pontiac Trans AM with the 400 could outperform the same year Corvette.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:53 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
I was just saying there is a price difference in LT1. I wonder how that will play out long term though. Right now I'm looking for a LT1/6spd.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,330 times
It all depends on what you're looking for. If you are stuck on a C3, make sure to get a PPI and have the frame checked for rust. If you're open to different generation Corvettes, vast improvements were made from C3 to C4, C4 to C5, etc.

A great site to start would be Corvette-forum, tons of info there. I had a '95 C4, Quality was average, not any serious problems but a few minor annoyances here and there, and the rattles from the targa top could get pretty impressive.

Have a C5 Z06 (2003) now which has been rock solid. Much more comfortable than the C4, better gas mileage, no problems, no rattles, handles 100x better and most important ....so much faster! If you're willing to spend more for a later generation, you won't regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC