Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,441,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Do you take everything that Scotty Kilmer for gospel, you know there are other mechanics out there who say he’s a idiot, like my older brother who’s a master mechanic for over 50 years, he’s owned multiple foreign car repair shops and a couple of American also. Scotty Kilmer's garage makes him look like a hoarder. If you keep a sloppy mechanic garage than you do sloppy work.
Not ment for you cvetters63 but for the one who takes Scotty Kilmer advice as gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 06:47 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,693,775 times
I forgot to mention, one of the most common problems with that year Volt is the coolant circulation pump for the electric heater. If it goes bad you won't have heat in EV mode, but there will still be heat from the engine if you use 'hold' mode. It's not a huge repair since it's just a simple electric pump, but it would be worth testing out before buying. If it's not working it would be a negotiation tool.

That's really the only common issue with the Volt that I can think of, other than front axle nuts that get loose over time a make a clicking sound, but that may have been resolved by 2015.

From those photos it also looks like the traction battery has no charge, I would demand that they have it charged up so that you can test all drive modes. Most dealers have no knowledge of this car and have no clue how to properly sell it.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:42 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,426,564 times
I checked with Scotty and he said he still thinks those cars are stupid.lol

Old 10-18-2020, 11:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,913,617 times
I know several people who have or had one. The think to watch for the the front cowling and radiator sit really low and tend to scrape on parking stops curbs etc and get damaged. A fairly expensive repair. So check to see if the one you look at has damage and be careful about putting the front end over anything like a curb or parking lot stop block. (Backing in will solve that problem.

They can get hung up on big speed bumps too.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I know several people who have or had one. The think to watch for the the front cowling and radiator sit really low and tend to scrape on parking stops curbs etc and get damaged. A fairly expensive repair. So check to see if the one you look at has damage and be careful about putting the front end over anything like a curb or parking lot stop block. (Backing in will solve that problem.

They can get hung up on big speed bumps too.
The air dam is flexible rubber, so it has plenty of give. Mine has scrubbed many times.

The radiator is prone to getting damaged by rocks if you do a lot of highway driving, and it's expensive and complicated to fix because the Volt has three different coolant loops. Thankfully, someone has made an aftermarket screen to better protect it. I bought one for mine.

https://voltshelf.weebly.com/voltscreen.html

Old 10-18-2020, 04:32 PM

532 posts, read 448,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
I have a 2010 Prius, it and my families other vehicles meet my needs just fine but...
I think it's a cool step up from my Prius. It will help satisfy my curiosity way cheaper than buying a Tesla!
also I'm retired and living well below my budget.

Lots of hybrids on the road in Fairbanks but very few EVs and even rarer PHEVs
Actually there are about a dozen Teslas owners, I didn't know that until I went to a little car show last weekend.

I am considering a 2015 PHEV Chev Volt selling through a Chev/GM dealer in Anchorage AK
for $16,888.

I'll try to attach a link below.

https://www.anchoragechevrolet.com/V...-AK/4655628623
So this past week as I consider this purchase I have been looking closer as to what is available to me in Fairbanks Alaska. So actually nothing I'll have to go to Anchorage, 350 miles away. Next step PNW (pacific north west) I have flown down to the lower 48 to purchase a vehicle. Bought a nice late model small RV and drove it back.

Anyway...I have found 2 more Volts for sale at a used lot in Anchorage so 3 to look at if I fly down for a day.

A 2017 Volt LT with comfort pkg 55,500miles, as a Gen 2 this might be a better choice.
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT / Auto Start / Heated Seats / Heated Steering Wheel / Bose Speakers / Keyless Entry & Start / Bluetooth / Back Up Camera / Cruise Control / 43 MPG / 1-Owner Anchorage AK 37552220

A 2012 Volt Premium with 92,000 miles maybe since it looks to be well cared for and in good shape all the quirks and bugs have been worked out?
2012 Chevrolet Volt / Auto Start / Heated Leather Seats / Bose Speakers / Keyless Entry & Start / Bluetooth / Back Up Camera / 40 MPG Anchorage AK 38118691

Also there are 5 new 2020 Bolts at a Chevy dealer for sale marked down about 10k with dealer incentives to sell. I like these but also really like the idea of the Volt with the ICE as backup to a short range EV.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:28 PM

The downside to the 2012 is that there's no HOLD mode. It seems like a minor thing, but I find myself using it often if I'm taking a longer drive. I like being able to control when the engine runs and when it doesn't.

With a 2011 or 2012, you're forced to deplete the battery before the engine starts. With a 2013 or newer, you can start the engine even with a full battery, and save the battery for later.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:40 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,426,564 times
Yall better listen to Scotty before its too late..He hates those stupid things...

Old 10-19-2020, 04:51 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Yall better listen to Scotty before its too late..He hates those stupid things...

Would you shut up about Scotty? He knows NOTHING about these. Listen to OWNERS. I bought mine new in 2013 and over 7 years I know more than he'll EVER know about these cars.

I'll ask you since you bring it up, what's "stupid" about them? I'd love to hear what your extensive personal experience is.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:00 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
So this past week as I consider this purchase I have been looking closer as to what is available to me in Fairbanks Alaska. So actually nothing I'll have to go to Anchorage, 350 miles away. Next step PNW (pacific north west) I have flown down to the lower 48 to purchase a vehicle. Bought a nice late model small RV and drove it back.

Anyway...I have found 2 more Volts for sale at a used lot in Anchorage so 3 to look at if I fly down for a day.

A 2017 Volt LT with comfort pkg 55,500miles, as a Gen 2 this might be a better choice.
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT / Auto Start / Heated Seats / Heated Steering Wheel / Bose Speakers / Keyless Entry & Start / Bluetooth / Back Up Camera / Cruise Control / 43 MPG / 1-Owner Anchorage AK 37552220

A 2012 Volt Premium with 92,000 miles maybe since it looks to be well cared for and in good shape all the quirks and bugs have been worked out?
2012 Chevrolet Volt / Auto Start / Heated Leather Seats / Bose Speakers / Keyless Entry & Start / Bluetooth / Back Up Camera / 40 MPG Anchorage AK 38118691

Also there are 5 new 2020 Bolts at a Chevy dealer for sale marked down about 10k with dealer incentives to sell. I like these but also really like the idea of the Volt with the ICE as backup to a short range EV.

I'd stay away from the '12 for the lack of Hold mode by itself. The cars are great other than that, though. The '17, being a Gen 2 is a better car (though not as attractive, to me), but I'd check to see if the shifter update has been done. They have a problem with a "shift to park" error that is resolved with a shifter update from GM.

Also, check out this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chevyvoltowners a lot of knowledge and help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC