Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Chevrolet Volt be a Sales Success ?
Volt will exceed Sales Target 4 22.22%
Volt will fall short of Sales Target 12 66.67%
Volt will meet Sales Target 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM

656 posts, read 2,741,973 times

Advertisements

As the release date creeps ever closer (Nov 2010)
In what will probably be GM's most important new car release in decades
I just want to know what CD thinks if the Plug-In Hybrid Chevrolet Volt will be a sales success or not ?

If you are not already familiar with this Car, please check out the link
Chevrolet Volt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So do you think the design will appeal to the masses ?
Is the price right for the market ? (estimated to be near $32,500 USD, after a $7,500 federal tax credit)
Do you think the Volt will travel (real world) 64 km on a single charge ?
Will it out sell the Toyota Prius / Nissan Leaf ?
I know its hard to tell these things until November. But I thought it would be interesting to get some early predictions to see how close some of you get

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
with a base price of $32K AFTER the $7500 rebate you could buy a 5.0 411HP mustang GT for that price

Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
It's not the car for me but its semi decent looking for an electric car. They probably did the best they could with the restrictions on drag that they had. Come to think of it, it actually looks like something Honda would make.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
I think it's all in the marketing. At 32k you're really dealing with the upper-end of family sedans, almost hitting the near-luxury segment, so your product needs to have cachet with the Nordstrom-shopping, yoga-practicing, pinot-swigging demographic. Toyota hit it out of the ballpark with the Prius, positioning it as the anti-Hummer, anti-Benz vehicle of choice for artists, hipsters & professionals alike.

As far as 64km, I'm not sure if they've tested it in stop-n-go LA traffic, so I'll take a wild guess and say closer to 50km for normal bumper-to-bumper conditions. And no it won't outsell the Prius because you're still tethered to an electric outlet.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I think it's all in the marketing. At 32k you're really dealing with the upper-end of family sedans, almost hitting the near-luxury segment, so your product needs to have cachet with the Nordstrom-shopping, yoga-practicing, pinot-swigging demographic. Toyota hit it out of the ballpark with the Prius, positioning it as the anti-Hummer, anti-Benz vehicle of choice for artists, hipsters & professionals alike.

As far as 64km, I'm not sure if they've tested it in stop-n-go LA traffic, so I'll take a wild guess and say closer to 50km for normal bumper-to-bumper conditions. And no it won't outsell the Prius because you're still tethered to an electric outlet.
it does have a gas powered 1.4 L (71 hp) generator which bumps it to 300 miles (483 km)

Old 03-24-2010, 12:37 AM

656 posts, read 2,741,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
with a base price of $32K AFTER the $7500 rebate you could buy a 5.0 411HP mustang GT for that price
Agreed 32 k is still a lot of money, especially when a Prius is 25k

But if this car really will do 64 km on a single charge before the Gas engine comes on.Thats a really BIG drawcard. You may not have to go to a GAS Station again.
If the economy improves, Gas prices rise, plus when you add that toyota's reputation is a mess. This car may have come out at just the right time
I think this might sell really well for GM

Quote:

Its still a Hybrid, but its a Hybrid you can charge up at home if you want
When that power cuts out, the Gas engine comes on to power it back up

Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
I think it's all in the marketing. At 32k you're really dealing with the upper-end of family sedans, almost hitting the near-luxury segment, so your product needs to have cachet with the Nordstrom-shopping, yoga-practicing, pinot-swigging demographic.
And technology early-adopters, who they're really counting on to help break it into the mainstream, just as Honda did with the Insight and Toyota did with the Prius.

Quote:
As far as 64km, I'm not sure if they've tested it in stop-n-go LA traffic, so I'll take a wild guess and say closer to 50km for normal bumper-to-bumper conditions.
Steady-state driving is actually worse for electric-vehicle range, not better.

Quote:
And no it won't outsell the Prius because you're still tethered to an electric outlet.
No you're not. There are probably 50 reasons why it won't outsell the Prius (for now anyway), but this isn't one of them.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Right, I'm sure there will be a ton of people cross-shopping a Volt and a Mustang GT.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:57 AM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
I'm sorry but I think you could get a lot more car for $32K and you're talking about a niche market here. Obviously there will be the techno-enthusiasts who want the newest, latest, and greatest but I just don't see it being a runaway sales success. It works great as an engineering exercise but as a sales giant, I just don't see it.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
I think its a nice first effort but I do not think the general public is ready for electric cars... yet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC