Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:41 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Have they fixed the driveshaft vibration problem yet?

Have they fixed the 5.3 lifter problem yet?
Denalis come with the 6.2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 08:42 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Something else to break.
I was thinking in the "fold it down so it becomes a step" part will surely make contact with a trailer hitch if it was left in the receiver.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
I like it

Old 09-02-2018, 09:34 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,211,031 times
That is pretty cool but I foresee more things that could fail in the future. What happens when it gets packed with ice and snow and then road salt gets into all those nook and crannies?

These trucks are getting silly with their options but I guess they have to keep justifying the ridiculous prices they ask for them.

When I worked as a car salesman we sold Denali pickups and for 2 years they had that cool feature where the rear wheels turned to help steering and backing. It was a cool gadget that was costly the first year and when it didn't catch on the way GM hoped it would the second year offered big rebates for the system.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:49 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Have they fixed the driveshaft vibration problem yet?

Have they fixed the 5.3 lifter problem yet?

Those were my questions as well.

I would really hope GM has overcome those problems.

The cold air intake design of these new trucks (not sure if it's the same for all engines or not) is another thing that will need to be proven as functional in the real world as well before I would consider this truck. The only basis I have for that concern is from a video I saw it appears fairly complex compared to what I expected. And I've already owned a GM model designed with pretty much insufficient air flow to the engine (c4 Corvette).

To the person who said "who cares"...ANYONE dropping their hard earned cash on a brand new vehicle SHOULD care, especially considering trucks are not inexpensive these days by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:49 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Those were my questions as well.

I would really hope GM has overcome those problems.

The cold air intake design of these new trucks (not sure if it's the same for all engines or not) is another thing that will need to be proven as functional in the real world as well before I would consider this truck. The only basis I have for that concern is from a video I saw it appears fairly complex compared to what I expected. And I've already owned a GM model designed with pretty much insufficient air flow to the engine (c4 Corvette).

To the person who said "who cares"...ANYONE dropping their hard earned cash on a brand new vehicle SHOULD care, especially considering trucks are not inexpensive these days by any stretch of the imagination.
It was a sarcastic who cares. I didn’t realize I needed to explain it. The tailgate is really complex with lots of moving parts, actuators, brackets, hinges and locking mechanisms. I guarantee you nobody buying that truck will use it for anything more than carrying a bag of mulch.
It would make sense on a long bed or a short bed but it’s too complicated and really serves very little purpose. Its
Ike the 4 wheel steering that GM had on their trucks. Neat potion of you gotta trailer in really tight places but very expensive to maintain. You basically have two steer axles. So you just doubled the cost of axle and steering work as you basucally have two front acles and steering systems.
Most of the accessory **** on trucks today isn’t needed. It’s just bs to pump up the price

Old 09-03-2018, 05:34 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,194 times
Is that 6 ways from Sunday?

Old 09-03-2018, 06:48 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
My Tundra has a dampened tailgate that I do like. I simply pull the handle and it opens softly on its own, no slamming down. I can’t imagine ever needing more than that.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:46 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Given the key fobs for my current Truck (RAM) cost about $350 each and last maybe five years, I do not want a truck with even more stuff dependent on the key fob/remote. How much it that one? $500?

How does that hinged joint int he tailgate hold up when you drive a garden tractor, atv or rotor tiller up ramps leaning ont he end of the tailgate? Everything about that tailgate looks flimsy. How many times have I leaned something super heavy on my tailgate and then either lifted and slid it in or flipped it over and into the truck? Probably 20 - 50, and I just use the truck for home stuff, charity work and camping.

That grab bar will last about a month before they have a recall to remove them after a handle of people slip and impale themselves on it or crack their head or eye against it. I guess their liability people never saw that part of the design.

I snickered when he flicked a small switch with his to to make the step come out on the side. I wonder how many cuts they had to do so he could actually find that switch with his toe. Now crack that nerf bar with mud, salt, grass, etc and try to find that switch with your toe. Then lets see if it will still work.

This is great for a truck the basically goes from clean garage to parking garage and back again with maybe a few trips to a football stadium and the grocery store. You can show your friends how cool your "transformer" truck is and they can ohhh and ahhh over it. There is no way any of that stuff holds up to any form of rugged use. The cost to replace it must be insane (either the tailgate or the nerf bar/step thing).

They are at least trying to address some significant problems with new pickups, particularly the fact they have made them too high to load reasonably, and the bed is too short on many trucks to be of much use at all. They also need to address the storage issue. Honda and RAM have addressed it. Not sure where Ford and GM are with that. Looks like nowhere.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:05 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Here's the interesting back story to the GMC tailgate-

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...cid=spartanntp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC