Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,530,947 times

Advertisements

New Jersey's Far Hills horse race where white elites tailgate in style | Mail Online

A UK website sums it up real well. I personally can't stand this event. Drunk rich kids from all over the northeast come to this event to drink the mud -- not to mention 3/4 of my high school graduating class probably was there. A symbol of true elitism

What do you think? Good for charity, but that's not what it's really about, is it?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:55 PM

23,599 posts, read 17,283,784 times
Default Josie Wails the best black & tan ever to sing a song of the chase

UK judgung NJ is what you wouild call ethnocentric.... a provincial view of other cultures. Borish and unsophisticated when practiced by Americans.

Love the sound of the hounds despite the attempt to inject class warfare into the isssue.

"Forest law" established by william the conquerer in about 1066 forbade shooting the kings deer and hares but by all means you can send an arrow thru a guys heart.

The UK stopped fox hunting years ago.
"London battles its urban fox problem

They roam London’s streets in packs, preying not just on rodents and discarded takeout food but on beloved family pets and even small children."

A off center F&G person once tried to issue a ticket for hunting w/o a license... oops!

UK is off the rails. Ask about their pound bounty on introduced gray squirrels from America.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/image001.jpg[/IMG]

"UK police looking for ex-college student accused of illegal hare hunting

Wednesday 16th October

21 year old Libby Gilbert, former Joint-Master and Huntsman of the Royal Agricultural College Beagles, is believed to have returned to her home to the USA after she failed to appear at a UK Court today to face what the Prosecutor called a ‘very serious allegation’ of illegal hunting.

Miss Gilbert, from Gladstone, Somerset Country, New Jersey, was studying in the UK at the Royal Agricultural College, who have a pack of beagles traditionally used to hunt hares. Since the Hunting Act 2004 came into effect this activity is now illegal, and the pack claim to have switched to hunting an artificial scent (1) However British anti-hunting charity, the League Against Cruel Sports, filmed Miss Gilbert on 20[SIZE=2]th February 2013, allegedly hunting a hare with a pack of dogs contrary to Section 1 of the Hunting Act 2004[/SIZE]

Police are now trying to track down Miss Gilbert so that a summons can be served requiring her to attend court on 12[SIZE=2]th November 2013 at the same court to enter her plea. [/SIZE]

Joe Duckworth, Chief Executive of the League said:

“We hope that Miss Gilbert will return to the UK and will appear before the court to answer the charge. If she does not agree to return voluntarily, we would hope that a warrant will be issued for her arrest so that she is brought before the court when she next comes to the UK.

It is extremely disappointing to see a young person facing criminal charges. It is the prosecutions case that illegal hunting occurred on this occasion and If the hunt pack had stuck to their word and used artificial trails, Miss Gilbert would not have found herself in this serious situation.

We are appealing to anyone who has any information on Miss Gilbert’s where abouts to inform the police”.

The League has undercover investigators who work across the country monitoring cases of suspected illegal activity. This case follows two other successful prosecutions from the same hunting season based on League evidence (2). "

My black and tan coonhound, josie Wails' would howl on command. What a voice!!!!!!!! What a dog!!!!!!

Get a copy of, 'where the reed fern grows' and read about the love of hounds that is a part of rural America.

Red fox pelts were bringing 50$ last year.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:09 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,883,494 times
I don't think the "white" qualifier is necessary here. Most of the people at this event are white because of socio-economic or networking/friendship circles, not because non-whites are being excluded.

As a non-white person, I've been to these type of events and have never felt uncomfortable. Maybe there's a hint of it with some of the older folks (subtle racism is alive and well), but never with anyone my age.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM

18,486 posts, read 15,291,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
New Jersey's Far Hills horse race where white elites tailgate in style | Mail Online

A UK website sums it up real well. I personally can't stand this event. Drunk rich kids from all over the northeast come to this event to drink the mud -- not to mention 3/4 of my high school graduating class probably was there. A symbol of true elitism

What do you think? Good for charity, but that's not what it's really about, is it?
It's a party. Lighten up.
God forbid people have a good time, and raise some money for charity at the same time.
The hunt is a fun event, and nobody is hurting anyone, so what's the big deal?

Old 10-22-2013, 01:20 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,530,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It's a party. Lighten up.
God forbid people have a good time, and raise some money for charity at the same time.
The hunt is a fun event, and nobody is hurting anyone, so what's the big deal?
Maybe you should lighten up. See the photos? It's a prep rally. Nobody is there for the charity aspect -- it's an upper crust social function. An excuse for guys to dress extremely pretty and girls to wear riding boots. At the very least, it's extremely obnixious -- between the clothes, the girls chugging champagne, the bros etc.

I'm all down for a good time, just not when it comes to social uniformity on a large scale. You know at an event like that if you don't wear the right clothes or come from the right family you are then an automatic outcast.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:30 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,087,934 times
What are they hunting for? They can have servants bring them pheasant.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:44 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,993,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
UK judgung NJ is what you wouild call ethnocentric.... a provincial view of other cultures. Borish and unsophisticated when practiced by Americans.

Love the sound of the hounds despite the attempt to inject class warfare into the isssue.

"Forest law" established by william the conquerer in about 1066 forbade shooting the kings deer and hares but by all means you can send an arrow thru a guys heart.

The UK stopped fox hunting years ago.
LOL at this thread. Kracer, "The Hunt" has nothing to do with actual hunting. It's a steeplechase (English style horse race with obstacles (fences, walls, hedges, water, etc...) held in Far Hills. The Daily Mail latched onto it because tales of the drunken escapades of the Ralph Lauren and Burberry clad prepsters who frequent the event have apparently made it across the pond, no doubt to their 8th and 9th cousins in England whose ancestors must have slept in the day the Mayflower departed from Southampton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It's a party. Lighten up. God forbid people have a good time, and raise some money for charity at the same time. The hunt is a fun event, and nobody is hurting anyone, so what's the big deal?
The news story grew out of the fact that the Far Hills Race Meeting Association banned alcohol this year because it was starting to resemble the Hoboken Saint Patricks Day Parade. My neighbor grew up in Bernardsville and goes every year. Personally I prefer bronc riding and barrel racing to steeplechases, but to each their own.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:47 PM

18,486 posts, read 15,291,316 times
Quote:
Maybe you should lighten up. See the photos? It's a prep rally. Nobody is there for the charity aspect -- it's an upper crust social function. An excuse for guys to dress extremely pretty and girls to wear riding boots. At the very least, it's extremely obnixious -- between the clothes, the girls chugging champagne, the bros etc.

I'm all down for a good time, just not when it comes to social uniformity on a large scale. You know at an event like that if you don't wear the right clothes or come from the right family you are then an automatic outcast.
I don't need to see pictures (although I did read your link), I have been there several times. What you are saying is simply not true. There are no outcasts there. There are way too many people there for anyone to even know what background you come from. Most people go with a group, and you hang out with your group and other people hang out with their's. You drink, and eat good food, and have a good time. People aren't standing around judging other people. I never took a poll, but I am sure there are plenty of people there who are far from "wealthy". It is the idea of wealthy people getting together to have a good time that bothers you. That is your problem to deal with. If it was a bunch of people who you were to label as "blue collar" partying, you wouldn't have a problem with it. It seems to me like the only one being judgmental is you.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times
Quote:

thats what most charity events are.

you are a very bitter envious person. i know i know, you deny that.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:04 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,764,537 times
Most of the pics looks like your typical frat party. Champagne instead of beer. Abercrombie instead of Old Navy. Who cares.

Once you have attended formal corporate dinners at high priced venues in NYC, Labor day gatherings out at the Hamptons, or country club weddings, you might have a different view of what Elitism is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey