Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:42 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times

Advertisements

My sister and her husband had one back in the day. It was dark blue. We went to see several drive in movies in that thing. Why the drive ins you ask? My brother in law had Rocky Mountain Spotted fever and looked like death warmed over, we didn't often take him out in public so off to the drive in for us, in the Citation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 03:14 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,431 times
Holy smokes, a garage kept example just popped up at one of the local "buy here pay here" lots. Two door, silver, complete with vintage bumper stickers. Looks good. Probably out of an estate. Maybe I'll look at it.....maybe. But do I smile at the length of time it's lived or do I laugh at the fact that it lives at all?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:09 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times
Yeah and I'll bet the car lot selling it wants way more than it's worth, boasting about "how you can own this classic"....

Old 06-10-2009, 11:33 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,220,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I remember those little pieces of works. GM must have been snorting some damn good cocaine when they released that disaster.

When I needed a car back in 1983, I test drove one. Upon leaving the dealership, the steering jammed! The dealer had to tow it back to the lot. I went to another and bought a Pontiac 1000 (sister of Chevette) instead. Good thing I did.

I haven't seen one in years. My neighbor used to have a maroon one many years ago. He only drove it a year or two before it bit the dust. He let that car sit on his driveway for almost ten years before getting it hauled off for scrap. As I recall he was still paying for it when it gave up the ghost!
Yeah and by '83, they were supposedly better. The consumer reports in the late 80s only said to especially avoid the 80-81 models. Like the Chevette as discussed in other threads, I still see these cars from time to time here as well.... a man down the road from my aunt has one... its an 83 or 84. I remember when he bought it new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
My brother in law had Rocky Mountain Spotted fever and looked like death warmed over, we didn't often take him out in public so off to the drive in for us, in the Citation.
How dreadful. Hopefully he recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Holy smokes, a garage kept example just popped up at one of the local "buy here pay here" lots. Two door, silver, complete with vintage bumper stickers. Looks good. Probably out of an estate. Maybe I'll look at it.....maybe. But do I smile at the length of time it's lived or do I laugh at the fact that it lives at all?
Yeah, when I tell my dad I had seen an X-Car, he is like, it was actually running... bad memories of our old '81 Omega I guess.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 12,253 times
Default hehehe i still have my citation!

bought it a year and a half ago, but its not your usual citation. We nicknamed it the Skytation. oh, and incase anyone is wondering....no, those aren't 33's on it, they are 36's.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anybody remember the Chevrolet Citation?-skytation1.jpg   Does anybody remember the Chevrolet Citation?-skytation2.jpg  

Old 10-03-2009, 06:12 AM

Wow....any hillbilly would be proud to own that.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:01 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
It's the first Chevy of the '80s
The first Chevy of its kind
It's a new Chevy kind of compact
This could be the car you had in mind....

NOT! Those cars were pieces of crap. It's cars like that that helped drive GM (Government Motors) right into the ash heap.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:14 AM

946 posts, read 2,603,858 times
How could anyone forget them? Probably the vehicle most responsible for driving GM into bankruptcy (Although that's a value judgment, as the Citation had a lot of company, but I grew up in a wrecking yard and saw a lot of these cars. At the same time that Honda, Toyota, Nissan et. al. were producing some of the most reliable autos ever made (I worked at an import specialty shop in the 80s and routinely saw these cars get 40+ mpg, far better than they do now), GM reached deep into their bowels and came up with this steaming pile. As if anyone needed an excuse to buy an import--the Citation helped chase customers away with a stick.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:35 AM

The sad thing is the Citation was supposed to be a direct replacement for the Nova, which the Nova was actually a really good car...well built, RWD and you could still get the indestructible inline 6 with a V8 as an option. The Citation was the compete opposite of the Nova.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:04 AM

11 posts, read 53,599 times
Oh boy do I remember them ! I worked for Sheldon Hansen Chevrolet in Price Utah back in them day's and we got a truck load of Citations that had the brackets attached to rear stabilizer bar and the brackets were not welded to the uni body . They did not get welded on at the factory and they still delivered the cars to the dealer .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC