Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times

Advertisements

When did the Citation change dash boards? I recall one year the radio was mounted sideways next to the speedometer and then they were located center of the dash.

Also why did they change the name to Citation II?

It's a shame those old Toyotas were cancer wagons. I'd love to find one, but all the ones I've found were already rusted or the owners didn't want to sell them or if they did they wanted Barrett-Jackson prices. Not to mention I'd prefer to get a pre 86 model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 02:09 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, I like the later ones better as well... even the Citation, despite its changes being much less noticable. I liked the 80-81 Omegas better than the 82-84s, which was a flip-flop. Ours was an '81 4dr Brougham with the V6 and loaded to the max with options and was identical to the one below, except ours had a white vinyl top (it even had this interior and the same color!)...

Here is an '80 Omega, it had a slightly different grille and taillights than the '81... (the grille bars on the 80 were closer than the 81 and the 80 had an Oldsmobile rocket emblem on the taillight lens, wheras the 81 had a verticle line.

Dad has a friend that had a base '80 Omega 4dr in the 1980s.. it was black with red vinyl interior and had the 2.5L 4-cylinder... oddly his was a better car than our '81 with the V6.
Here is the base '80 Omega...

Here is the 1984 Omega in comparison... I did like the interiors better on the 83-84 though...

I was also thinking that Skylark above (the red sedan) was a 1980, but I saw these in the 80 brochure and the grille looks different, so that may be a 81 or 82... here is the front of an '80...

and this very interesting one...
As far as the taillights on the Omega's I actually liked the 1980-81 taillights better than the 1982-84 taillights, the front ends of the Buick Skylark's were IMO ugly looking, the 1981-85's were IMO much better looking, were the Iron Duke 4 cylinders better performers than the 2.8 Liter V6 motors?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
When did the Citation change dash boards? I recall one year the radio was mounted sideways next to the speedometer and then they were located center of the dash.

It's a shame those old Toyotas were cancer wagons. I'd love to find one, but all the ones I've found were already rusted or the owners didn't want to sell them or if they did they wanted Barrett-Jackson prices. Not to mention I'd prefer to get a pre 86 model.
I believe the reason why they've changed it to Citation II is cause they wanted the buyers to know they've gotten all of their bugs worked and that the workmanship has improved, I still see several of the 1984-85 X-body cars but hardly any of the pre-84 X-body cars around.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:19 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Saw a Citation yesterday and an Omega today. Don't know the years but the Citation was the fastback(?). Both somewhat rusted. I am in NWPA for a few days.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Saw a Citation yesterday and an Omega today. Don't know the years but the Citation was the fastback(?). Both somewhat rusted. I am in NWPA for a few days.
Was the Omega a 2 door or a 4 door?

Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
If i remember my old v6 equipped one correctly:

The name "Citation" loosely translates into "torque steer"...

Old 04-09-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac1980 View Post
was the omega a 2 door or a 4 door?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:

I think, if I remember I'll drive by where it lives and check tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
Yes my '84 Toyota has the rust problem. Any little nick or scratch on the paint and it starts rusting. I read that Toyota changed the primer formula in early '83 when they changed the body style. It was a disaster. It was improved starting in '85. But I've since painted my truck a flat army olive green because I only use the truck for hunting in the mountains. If it gets scratched or nicked now, I just hit it with a rattle can of the same color.

I see more late model Omegas and Skylarks than Citations or Phoenix in my part of Kali. And the ones I see are beat to heck.
Yeah, my grandpa had an '83 Toyota 4wd truck that was originally from the mid-Atlantic region that ended up with the frame rusting near the rear axle, whereas my '84 Toyota 4wd was 100% rust free all over, but it was an original TN truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

I will go with Mopacs saying on this, I think they called them Citation II because of them being better cars. They also started offering a V6 with fuel injection rather than the 2bbl carburator and the 4-cylinders were now fuel injection as well in the later Citations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
As far as the taillights on the Omega's I actually liked the 1980-81 taillights better than the 1982-84 taillights, the front ends of the Buick Skylark's were IMO ugly looking, the 1981-85's were IMO much better looking, were the Iron Duke 4 cylinders better performers than the 2.8 Liter V6 motors?
Yeah, I like the front-ends (and rear-ends) better on the later Skylarks than the earlier ones and the taillights better on the Omega, but in a way, I like the fronts of the 82-84 Omegas better than the 80-81 models, but not really sure.

I still see alot of these around here, even the older ones. I actually saw that Citation that crashed into my aunts car going down the highway today. Its a later one, I can tell, it has Citation II on the front fenders and yesterday I saw a later 4dr Skylark and a later 2dr Omega. I imagine that our old Omega is a Toyota now. It was a beautiful car, but in 1990 it was a crappy car. It had the 2.8L V6 (2-barrel carburator) and it had alot of carburator issues and the check engine light was always on. We had also had to install a new transmission before it had 75K miles in 1988. It was funny because when we were shopping for a used car in 1987, we had narrowed it down between the '81 Omega, or a 1982 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon, 1983 Dodge Caravelle, 1981 Pontiac Phoenix and a 1981 Subaru GL wagon! I wish now we had of bought the Buick Estate Wagon and that was the car I wanted us to get, but dad wanted a smaller car. We ended up getting the Omega.

Our neighbors at the time also had an Oldsmobile, but they had a 1982 Cutlass Ciera sedan and it was a so much better car. I dont recall them ever having any issues with it. Theirs had the 3.0L V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I believe the reason why they've changed it to Citation II is cause they wanted the buyers to know they've gotten all of their bugs worked and that the workmanship has improved, I still see several of the 1984-85 X-body cars but hardly any of the pre-84 X-body cars around.
I agree with that.

Quote:
Yeah, the Citation was from 1980-1985 and was available as a 2dr hatchback, 5dr hatchback and not sure if all of the years it was out, but it was also available as a 2-door club coupe (with a trunk).

Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 AM

[quote=Tennesseestorm;8274846]Yeah, my grandpa had an '83 Toyota 4wd truck that was originally from the mid-Atlantic region that ended up with the frame rusting near the rear axle, whereas my '84 Toyota 4wd was 100% rust free all over, but it was an original TN truck.

I will go with Mopacs saying on this, I think they called them Citation II because of them being better cars. They also started offering a V6 with fuel injection rather than the 2bbl carburator and the 4-cylinders were now fuel injection as well in the later Citations.

Yeah, I like the front-ends (and rear-ends) better on the later Skylarks than the earlier ones and the taillights better on the Omega, but in a way, I like the fronts of the 82-84 Omegas better than the 80-81 models, but not really sure.

I still see alot of these around here, even the older ones. I actually saw that Citation that crashed into my aunts car going down the highway today. Its a later one, I can tell, it has Citation II on the front fenders and yesterday I saw a later 4dr Skylark and a later 2dr Omega. I imagine that our old Omega is a Toyota now. It was a beautiful car, but in 1990 it was a crappy car. It had the 2.8L V6 (2-barrel carburator) and it had alot of carburator issues and the check engine light was always on. We had also had to install a new transmission before it had 75K miles in 1988. It was funny because when we were shopping for a used car in 1987, we had narrowed it down between the '81 Omega, or a 1982 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon, 1983 Dodge Caravelle, 1981 Pontiac Phoenix and a 1981 Subaru GL wagon! I wish now we had of bought the Buick Estate Wagon and that was the car I wanted us to get, but dad wanted a smaller car. We ended up getting the Omega.

Our neighbors at the time also had an Oldsmobile, but they had a 1982 Cutlass Ciera sedan and it was a so much better car. I dont recall them ever having any issues with it. Theirs had the 3.0L V6.

I would've gladly chosen the Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon myself, I've always liked the 1980s full size wagons with wood paneling, sorry to hear about your experiences with the Omega.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC