Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:16 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

I have a 2003 6 cylinder Chevy Silverado.

1) Woke up today with a flat tire. I aired it up and got to Wal-Mart tire and lube. They repaired the tire. When they removed the tire they used the lift an only jacked up one side. I am only mentioning this as it might have something to do with what happened to the truck.

2) As I was driving home all of a sudden the truck felt like it lost a couple of cylinders. It idles somewhat OK (I can tell there is a slight miss- it doesn't sound like it normally does). When you hit the gas it misses and stutters.

I have experienced ignition issues in this vehicle before and this isn't anything like the problems I had. It went from running perfectly to barely running in a split second. Also the "Check Engine light" came on and started Flashing which I have never seen it do before.

Any ideas? I can't take it into an auto parts store to have the code checked since I am afraid to drive it anywhere.

**Additional information - I had the transmission replaced two months ago. I do not think it is transmission related since it does this when in neutral as well as while in drive.**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 03:19 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Flashing check engine light, plug a code reader into it. Good scanner will offer clues other than guessing or taking a stab at the issue. Knowing which codes the computer is throwing saves guessing and throwing parts at it.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Lat time I had a similar problem it was a code "misfire on cylinder 3." I changed the spark plugs for $1.97 each and that did the trick. Turns out they were the originals and had 160k miles on them ( I bought it at 146k miles). That does not mean your problem is the same, but getting the code will help identify the problem. Have your plugs ever been changed? They tend to last 100k miles or more, but sometimes less. I would also check for a spark plug wire or two that have cracks or come loose.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 PM

I have maintained the vehicle and changed the plugs around 100k with OE plugs. It is more than one cylinder misfiring and it happened very suddenly. One minute I am enjoying a peaceful drive in the country and the next I am wondering if I'll get back home. It thankfully happened about a mile from the house.

I am just wondering if I should risk damage by driving it the five miles into Wartrace, TN to get it to my mechanic. The last time I had it towed the bill was 60 dollars. I'm wondering if I will do more damage by driving it.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:54 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
If they jacked it up from the side, check the fuel tank lines to see if maybe they crimped any of the steel fuel lines, One of the lines (usually the large one) carries the fuel to the engine. The other 2 lines are for fuel return and the fuel vent line. There also be a steel brake line routed with them. If any of these have been damaged you could have problem.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times
1. we do not know which side they jacked. Fuel pump is on the driver side
2. may be simple coincidence, happens
3. is there a parts store open closer than your mech? Any parts store reads codes.
4. if transmission overheats, or engine temp goes too high, those cars go into what is called limp mode. It's safety feature to prevent power train damage. A leaking radiator or coolant low may cause this.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:21 AM

It was the drivers side they jacked up. I inspected the fuel line and did not see any damage so I am suspecting it is just a coincidence. I don't think its overheating because I checked the radiator fluid and it is fuel and the hoses were hot so it seems as if fluid is circulating.

The mechanic is the closest place for me. The nearest parts store is 15 miles away. I am still on the fence about towing it. I might try to drive it but it is running pretty rough.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Crankcase position sensor? You really have to get it hooked up to a code reader to diagnose....

Old 03-24-2014, 05:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If you have another vehicle and can take the time, you can buy a scan code reader for $30 or less online at Amazon and other places.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:18 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
I had something very similar on my GMC with the 5.3 V8.

It was years ago but I believe it was an O2 sensor.

Check your exhaust pipe. I recall mine was spitting out all kinds of crap when this was happening.

Have the code checked is the easiest thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC