Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,423,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
2003 Chevy silverado 6cyl- suddenly missing and running rough.
Why are you worried about it running rough if it's missing? That's the thief's problem. Just call the cops and your insurance company. Do you have full coverage? If so, just hope that they don't find it so you don't have to deal with what's making it run rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,367,251 times
Are you sure you don't have insurance for towing? I no longer carry AAA because my insurance agent added towing coverage to my policy just as a matter of course. It cost nearly nothing. You might want to call and be sure you don't have it. If you don't, you should add it. I used mine 4 times in the past year (2 cars)! Cost was about $10 iirc.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:53 PM

7,063 posts, read 9,180,900 times
Possibilities:

Jacking dislodged gunk in the fuel tank and the filter is plugged;

Fuel pump failing;

Check the pressure in the fuel rail, if it is not high enough it can cause the missing and rough running, and it will cause the CEL to come on...also, if you continue to drive it, raw fuel may be getting into the exhaust system and pooling in the muffler- when/if the exhaust gets hot enough the pooled fuel can ignite and it will be like a bomb going off. Yes, this can happen- my wife's Jeep just had it, fuel pump pressure was low, it lifted the back wheels right off the road when the muffler blew up.

Other possibilities:

Crankshaft position sensor could be failing/shorting/bad ground;

Mass Airflow Sensor failing;

Throttle Position Sensor failing;

Ignition switch failing;

Bad ground to ECU;

Corrosion in fuse box affecting ECU or other circuits;

More?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:59 PM

17,840 posts, read 15,724,120 times
First thing that comes to mind is that you had a ignition coil fail. though.. To be honest.. It almost sounds like you have multiple cylinders misfiring based on your description.

Used to be that ignition coils were generally 2-in-ones.. One 'pack' would control 2 cylinders. Looks like they've got independent coils for each cylinder now. My grandmother had an 88 Corsica years ago that about drove me friggin' nuts tracking down the problem on it.. One of the coil packs wasn't firing, so thought it was bad.. Still didn't work.. Wound up that the mounting bracket was the problem.

Flashing SES light always indicates an active misfire on one or more cylinders.. At least on Chevy. I'm pretty sure that's standard OBD codes throughout all manufacturers.

Read out the codes, see if it's a legitimate misfire on multiple cylinders, or on one.. Or.. Pull out a timing light and find the cylinder that isn't firing. Then find out if it's the coil, plug or plug wire.. Assuming it's a single cylinder.

Last edited by Labonte18; 03-24-2014 at 04:16 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 04:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 13,010,627 times
Just got back from the shop. It was a bad coil. I had them replace the coil and since I drove it to the shop the plugs were fouled (and they had 75,000 miles on them) I had them replace the plugs and wires. It is running like brand new now with 200k miles on it. I realize I "could have" done this all myself but I didn't have the time to diagnose the problem and it seemed like it was something more serious than what it turned out to be.

Just thought I would update everyone that posted with suggestions. I appreciate the help from every one of you. (except the guy that posted about the truck missing...... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC