Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,349,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
You talk as though that's a bad thing.
I have to say I would love to own a nice condition Jeep Wagoneer (SJ) back in the day it was the Bee's Knees of SUVs esp. with the AMC 401 V-8 or the later much improved 87-91 versions with the 360 heck it IS the First SUV the phrase SUV originated from the SJ Jeeps.

It would be a blast to own one esp. one with a Cummins 5.9 6BT swap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 04:33 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,058,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I have to say I would love to own a nice condition Jeep Wagoneer (SJ) back in the day it was the Bee's Knees of SUVs esp. with the AMC 401 V-8 or the later much improved 87-91 versions with the 360 heck it IS the First SUV the phrase SUV originated from the SJ Jeeps.

I had one of those for awhile. Dark blue, with the wood paneling. AMC 360. Were it not for the horrible mileage (13 mpg highway) I might still own it today. It was amazing.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,762 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
... for my Suburban, is to get some black Fender Flares and steel Running Boards to make my Suburbam similar to a Dually.

I just wonder much for those would cost.
$200.00, get some used flares at a junk yard. Or just buy a 1' section of 4' Dia ADS culvert $25 (would be called a 'riser' at your local commercial drain pipe / manhole supplier)

A skill saw will make you a nice set of fenders that are totally indestructible.

Alternately... you are SO CLOSE to TX . (the Cheap Cummins used truck capital of the western world).

Go buy a 1T 4x4 dually Cummins chassis for <$2000 and drop on your suburban body.

Done deal... You can tow a Mountain and 18-20 mpg on FREE fuel (Diesel substitutes... there are MANY) and it will run to a million miles.

If you ever sell it... Cummins powered Suburbans are HOT / $$$$

I just found a TX Club Cab Cummins for under $2000. I have bought (3) W350 1T 4x4 cummins for $2500 to $4000 Complete, full running and operational trucks that I have used for over 10 yrs. NEVER a problem, yet... BUT... they are pretty 'truck-y' tough harsh ride (not like Post '94 + 'whoosy' Dodges)

I cross the scales at 28,800# with my dozer and trailer. I only get 12 mpg when loaded to that extent, but 'pulling power' is never lacking.

NEVER even consider swapping a 1T drivetrain to a 1/2 ton chassis. MOUNTAINS of work and wimpy result.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:20 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,430,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Twister was a terrible movie, why would you want a constant reminder of it?
Are you serious? That was/is a good movie.

And I do understand that the Jeep pickup went out early in the film.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$200.00, get some used flares at a junk yard. Or just buy a 1' section of 4' Dia ADS culvert $25 (would be called a 'riser' at your local commercial drain pipe / manhole supplier)

A skill saw will make you a nice set of fenders that are totally indestructible.

Alternately... you are SO CLOSE to TX . (the Cheap Cummins used truck capital of the western world).

Go buy a 1T 4x4 dually Cummins chassis for <$2000 and drop on your suburban body.

Done deal... You can tow a Mountain and 18-20 mpg on FREE fuel (Diesel substitutes... there are MANY) and it will run to a million miles.

If you ever sell it... Cummins powered Suburbans are HOT / $$$$

I just found a TX Club Cab Cummins for under $2000. I have bought (3) W350 1T 4x4 cummins for $2500 to $4000 Complete, full running and operational trucks that I have used for over 10 yrs. NEVER a problem, yet... BUT... they are pretty 'truck-y' tough harsh ride (not like Post '94 + 'whoosy' Dodges)

I cross the scales at 28,800# with my dozer and trailer. I only get 12 mpg when loaded to that extent, but 'pulling power' is never lacking.

NEVER even consider swapping a 1T drivetrain to a 1/2 ton chassis. MOUNTAINS of work and wimpy result.
Lol, that is a good idea.

I thought of putting Cumminsin my Suburban though.

Especially for better MPG.

Are there any V8 cummins out there?

And what is the difficulties of putting a Suburaban body on a Cummins chassis which chassis I should use?

Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 PM

568 posts, read 2,422,224 times
Quote:
Are you serious? That was/is a good movie.

And I do understand that the Jeep pickup went out early in the film.
Even with the outrageous, over-the-top special effects and unbelievable moments, it was an enjoyable movie. And to be honest, seeing the dually Suburban was one of the things that really made me like it.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
And what is the difficulties of putting a Suburaban body on a Cummins chassis which chassis I should use?
Why would you even consider this? It makes no sense. You would have to extensively modify any Dodge chassis carrying a Cummins to fit under the Suburban. You would save a ton of time, money and headache to just drop a Cummins into your Suburban. Tons of people are dropping Cummins into your bodystyle trucks, so there are plenty of places to research the swap and buy parts to do it.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:01 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,825,290 times
Quote:
Lol, that is a good idea.

I thought of putting Cumminsin my Suburban though.

Especially for better MPG.

V8 cummins? Hahahahaha, that is rich. Yes there v8 cummins' they were once used. They weigh 7,000 pounds and displace around 14 liters.

The vast majority of the Diesel engines in over the road trucks are inline 6. For very good reasons.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,254,928 times
To the OP, yes, you could put dual wheels under a 2500 without too much work, but don't do it to a 1500. Makes no sense.

A neighbor of mine converted his F250 to an F350 dually by buying a wrecked F350 dually, then switching the rear axel and springs out and switching beds. You could just retrofit the flared fenders if the rear doors will allow it. If they won't, it might be a major job.

I bought a new Grand Wagoneer in '86 -- paid through the nose for it. What a piece of junk! I traded it after just a few months because it was constantly in the shop for repairs. I thought that was the last year they made them.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

My Great Great Uncle had a Jeep Pickup, but that was a years back around the late 90s and early 2000s.

Until something with wrong with it and it sat and rotted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC