Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,885,743 times

Advertisements

My Sons and I build hot rods but when it comes to fuel injected, computerized engines I am not all that swift. My daily driver is a 98 Cadillac Deville with the Northstar engine. It has been a great car and runs and looks nice but is getting some age on it, so I decided to buy a lower mileage one, but about the same year model as I like mine so much.

I found a super clean 99 Deville but it evidently overheated and the oil pan is full of water and oil mixture. Rather than rebuild the engine that is in it I started looking for a low mileage engine, possibly from a wrecked car. Today I drove 200 miles and bought the proverbial old mans car, a 98 Deville that has 51,000 miles on it, but it was hit on the front left corner and totaled out by the insurance company. I have checked all the fluids, they are perfectly clean, and the engine was not touched in the accident. I drove it around tonight and everything works and the motor purrs like a brand new car. The engine is actually shiny and the bottom side is dry as a bone.

So, I am going to drop the engine and trans out of the bottom of the car and swap it into the other car that has the blown head gaskets. I plan on replacing certain parts that will be easier to do while the motor it out, such as the water pump, plugs, serpentine belt, and anything else I see that looks suspect when I get it out. Being a car builder I will also detail everything under the hood to make working on it easier and more pleasant.

My question is, what other parts should I change while it is out ? I understand there is a sensor on the front of the block that leaks over time, someone has suggested changing the engine mounts, and I wonder if there are other gaskets or parts that any of you can recommend be changed.

Thanks for any advice.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,952,947 times
I assume you are aware that Northstars are notorious for blowing head gaskets?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:49 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,841,967 times
Pull all the harness and the PCM computer.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
I assume you are aware that Northstars are notorious for blowing head gaskets?
Yep, I am, but I have owned two and have put over 250,000 miles on them total with no problems other than normal maintenance and normal parts replacement. What seems to kill them is if they over heat.

Don

Old 06-28-2013, 11:48 PM

774 posts, read 1,165,972 times
I own a 1998 Olds Aurora, which has Oldsmobile's version of the NorthStar. I got 331,700 miles out of the original engine before it blew a head gasket. Truthfully, it overheated on me when a hose blew and lost all the coolant. There was no place to pull over for several miles. so that hurt the motor. Otherwise it was tired but working fine.

Because the body and interior are in great shape, and to get a similarly sized late model luxo-performance sedan costs way more than I am willing to or can pay, I had a new transmission and engine installed, got it painted, rebuilt the suspension, replaced the rack and pinion and all major mechanical parts. Back on the road for less than $18,000 with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Car is paid for and I know the history of the vehicle. A late model sedan with anything close to the leg and head room, similarly appointed would be well over $30K...well out of my price range.

Since you have the engine out, I recommend you replace the following:

ALL rubber hoses
ALL sensors
Catalytic converter(s)
Injectors (if they are not performing properly)
Intake gaskets
Starter
Engine and transmission mounts (this is a bear if you try to do it with the engine installed...do it while the engine is out)

On the other hand, your used engine has relatively low mileage, so you may not need to go to the lengths I went, as my mileage was significantly higher.

At a minimum I would replace all the hard-to-reach sensors and all hoses and belts, the thermostat, and have the radiator cleaned and pressure tested.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 AM

Great advice, SloRoller, thanks. I tend to keep my cars a long time for the reasons you outlined.......I hate car payments and love the comfort and style of this particular model Caddy. Here in Florida it is easy to find older cars with extremely low mileage because of the older population here. I had an 84 Crown Vic that I bought about 10 years ago that had 50,000 miles on it. The 84 year old lady put new Michelins on it, drove it home, and never drove it for 4 years until I bought it.

I like you suggestions about the hoses and thermostat plus the motor mounts. Will do those too. There is that one sensor on the front of the engine that tends to leak oil after time, so it will get changed too. I am going to run injector cleaner through the system once I make the swap, but they seem to be ok now from the test drive we took last night.

Thanks again.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC