Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:22 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,422,661 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

I haven't had a car for FOREVER & it's not easy. My nephew is looking at a 1996 Cadillac Deville with 70,000 miles for $4900. The only cars I know anything about, really, are Volvo's.

I really need some help / advice. I am on a fixed income & don't want to get ripped off or end up being car poor. Safety is first. Reliability / Gas Mileage are second.

Yes, I do know Cadillacs are V8's.

I am just getting a bit desperate & need y'all's input.

Any info about common problems, recalls, issues these cars have that the company may not be completely owning up to (like the manifold issues in many Ford models)... Anything real. My son says they have problems with their wiring/computer stuff because EVERYTHING is computerized - that this is a chronic problem always with Cadi's. I don't know if this is true or not... Please help!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 06:38 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
#1 Start off with a Car Fax report, they are not a tell all as some dealers would like you to believe but they can be helpfull. (My son recently looked at a used SUV that had obvious front end damage but the Car FAX said no collision damage noted). #2 Contact your local caddy dealer and inquire about any recalls pertaining to this car, (if you have the VIN that would help). You an also do an internet search for recall info. #3 Do an internet search and see if any technical service bulletins (T.S.B.s) are out on this car. #4 Ask if there are service records that come with the vehicle. #5 Take the car to a competent mechanic and have it gone over. Good luck to you.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 32,602 times
I have a 1996 caddie deville. Interested?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Run, do not walk away from that car. That car with the northstar engine is nothing but trouble. Head gasket failures, early transmission failures, and broken timing chains are common. Not only that, when the timing chain breaks, the whole engine self destructs. I personally love the Seville STS and the Cadillac Eldorado ETC. Knowing what I know, I would never considering owning one though.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
The Noth Star is a great engine, and 70 K miles is nothing for that engine..!
However, I will agree with the drunk next door (I'm not too far from Vegas) that it can be very expensive to repair a North star Cadillac when repair is needed.
I don't think a 13 year old luxury car is the car for your nephew. He should be looking for something like a mid sized car, a Malibu or equivalent, or a mid sized Honda or Toyota. Something dependable and less expensive to repair. The gas mileage sucks on the Cad. It's not a car for a beginner.
I just helped a friend buy a first car for his kid who will soon start college. We got a super nice, low mileage Toyota Camry with 70 k miles on it. It was in like new condition and cost just over $4k.
It takes a lot of looking and patience top find a gem like that, but taking your time is worth it. A car that old usually has 150k miles, and needs a lot of work, so do your homework and don't get in a hurry, or you will pay the price down the road...
The good ones are out there, so take your time. When you find a good one, spend the extra money and have a mechanical inspection done.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Purchase an economical car as gasoline prices WILL GO UP drastically especially if that "Global Warming BS bill" from Obama goes through.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Tell him to look at the LT1 powered 94-96 Fleetwoods instead. Absolutley nothing to worry about on them.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:42 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Run, do not walk away from that car. That car with the northstar engine is nothing but trouble. Head gasket failures, early transmission failures, and broken timing chains are common. Not only that, when the timing chain breaks, the whole engine self destructs. I personally love the Seville STS and the Cadillac Eldorado ETC. Knowing what I know, I would never considering owning one though.
I thought the Northstar was a fairly reliable engine, I've seen used Sevilles/Eldorados with 150,000 miles around here! I think you're mistaken on that engine, any proof to back up your claims?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ointments.html

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cadillac-...verheating.htm

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t336425.html

Not to mention my uncles 1993 Eldorado ETC he bought brand new. The head gasket went out, transmission and numerous electrical problems, all before the car even had 100,000 miles on it. If you ever wonder why these cars are so cheap used, this is the reason.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 03-02-2009 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
If you get a Cadillac DeVille, but price is a concern, I suggest the 1990-1993 models (which are based on the 1985 redesign/downsize), which are less complex and more reliable than the 1994-96 models. The 1990 models added a driverside airbag and these cars get excellent crash test reviews. New newer ones (1998+) are even more costly. Another good choice are the 1993-96 Fleetwood Broughams (the rear wheel drive ones)... they have the trusted 350 engine.

Frankly, I like the early 70s DeVilles, but I am stuck in a 70s time warp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC