Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:19 PM

29 posts, read 100,052 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Any advice much appreciated on this. I have always like the '93 Cadillac Deville and found this one for sale not too far from me:

1993 Cadillac Deville VERY LOW MILES

The AC is out on it, but apart from that it is all original parts.

Does it seem like a decent buy or a tad on the high side? I don't know a whole about the used car market, so again feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Looks nice and clean, and I've seen far worse.

I'd say go for it--those are 150-200 thousand mile cars with reasonable care--but have it inspected first, and even if your mechanic gives it a thumbs up, be sure to understand that it's a 20 year old car, so anything on it could go sooner or later, and the early 90's was not exactly Caddy's finest era.

Have your AAA Gold Plus paid up, and keep your favorite mechanic saved in your contact list.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
I like that generation of DeVilles and thought of buying one as my first car few years back. Decided against it because of the Cadillac-only bits that GM put in it even back then. Ended up buying a Grand Marquis from the same era instead.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
That's a great deal and the 93's did not have the head gasket problem that some of the later ones had.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 AM

334 posts, read 716,179 times
OP,
I had a '93 Eldo which was really comfortable to drive but a money pit and that was with me doing most of the work. Figure possibly $1K+ to get the air running. That car could well be a good deal if you're looking for a real gunboat that is great to drive and you can deal with being a member of the repair of the month club. If you have to farm out all the repairs it could be a disaster.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:56 AM

29 posts, read 100,052 times
Thanks guys. Why did I ever start looking at classic used cars on Craigslist? Ha. An amazing array of used classics out there. For a guy born and raised in the UK these old American motors are amazing.

Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about fixing up motors, so at a real disadvantage there. Suppose I could try talking the guy down to 2k since the AC is shot.

Anything else to watch out for when looking it over? The guy said it has no rust at all.

Thanks again for the advice!

Old 09-15-2013, 10:15 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbee View Post
Thanks guys. Why did I ever start looking at classic used cars on Craigslist? Ha. An amazing array of used classics out there. For a guy born and raised in the UK these old American motors are amazing.

Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about fixing up motors, so at a real disadvantage there. Suppose I could try talking the guy down to 2k since the AC is shot.

Anything else to watch out for when looking it over? The guy said it has no rust at all.

Thanks again for the advice!
Because the classics are the best, if you shop carefully and know what to look for.

The last real Cadillac Deville was made in 1984. Stay away from everything after that, as they are transverse-engine FWD and an altogether different (inferior) animal....in driving/riding quality AND reliability.

Your best bet in that vintage is a Ford Panther platform car - a Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, or Lincoln Town Car. There are lots of them available out there driven by original senior owners and treated with TLC. They are the best used car buys on the market.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 09-15-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Because the classics are the best, if you shop carefully and know what to look for.

The last real Cadillac Deville was made in 1984. Stay away from everything after that, as they are transverse-engine FWD and an altogether different (inferior) animal....in driving/riding quality AND reliability.

Your best bet in that vintage is a Ford Panther platform car - a Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, or Lincoln Town Car. There are lots of them available out there driven by original senior owners and treated with TLC. They are the best used car buys on the market.
The Crown Vics are a lot of fun, and are VERY reasonable, even for newer models. Personally, I like the Mercury Marauder version......very slick look, especially with tinted windows.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:57 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
That's a decent buy for any car in that condition, with only 55k miles. The problem you're going to run into is that when it needs work, it's going to be costly. Those Caddy's are a pain in the butt to do.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:01 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
GO FOR IT, Nycbee . . .

For $3k, possibly even less, and only 55k miles, how can you go wrong as long as it has a "clear" title and no body and/or frame damage?

Granted you'll need to set aside a few bucks for repairs and maintenance but probably no more than any 20 year old vehicle. The a/c may be a little costly but it is not an immediate absolute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC