Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,933,369 times

Advertisements

Chevy's Vue-Like Captiva Sport is for Fleets Only - WOT on Motor Trend

I saw one of these yesterday, with rental car barcodes and Tennessee plates. GM must still be desperate for fleet sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:50 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,682,766 times
Actually from what I got from the article, GM cannot keep up with demand for their vehicles. To keep up they already have all the certification for the vue so they are going to use it. And continue building at the vue factory, without affecting the equinox/terrain factory which is working hard.

Also I think this is brilliant. Rebabdge an old outdated model specifically for fleet sales. Get fleet money without tarnishing your money making models name as being a fleet vehicle.

Fleet money is still money.

Honestly the vue was a great vehicle, despite Saturn going under they have held their value well. We almost got one when they were still new but held off not wanting two car payments.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-26-2012, 05:10 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,933,369 times
I looked them up on Auto Trader after I posted this. There's already a couple of them available used. (There's also a few Caprice PPVs.) It is a good idea on GM's part. The Vue was made in Mexico, so they're making these Captivas for peanuts, probably selling them for peanuts to the rental companies, who will in turn sell these in the used car seller's market. Brilliant.

The MSRP isn't that much less than the Equinox, so I have a hard time seeing them being able to sell these are retail, but dumping them at a somewhat fire sale price to fleets, sure. The rental companies must be getting some product pretty cheap- I rented a Nissan NV a few months ago from Enterprise- had something like 7500 miles on it...I talked to the rental agent a week later, and they had already sold it, supposedly for what Enterprise paid for it or slightly more. I tried renting another a month later, they had one on the lot, but the computer wouldn't let me have it as it had already been sold the day before and hadn't been removed from the rental lot. This one had maybe 10K on it, I got stuck with a Ford, which, driving the NV and E250 back to back, is a massive disappointment.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:49 PM

16,415 posts, read 30,485,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Actually from what I got from the article, GM cannot keep up with demand for their vehicles. To keep up they already have all the certification for the vue so they are going to use it. And continue building at the vue factory, without affecting the equinox/terrain factory which is working hard.

Also I think this is brilliant. Rebabdge an old outdated model specifically for fleet sales. Get fleet money without tarnishing your money making models name as being a fleet vehicle.

Fleet money is still money.
This is nothing new, really.

Chevrolet sold the 1st generation Malibu for several years as the Chevrolet Classic to the rental fleets,

Ford sold the Taurus for a couple of years after they put out the Five Hundred and the Fusion,

Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,962,252 times
Never heard of? Please... The Captiva is sold in other countries, first off... and yes, it's a Saturn Vue with a Chevy front end.

I worked for a year with a student team at a university, on a GM-sponsored Ecocar competition. The 3 year competition started in 2008. Each competing team had to turn a Saturn Vue into a range-extended electric vehicle. Half way through the competition, GM axed Saturn. So, to not get any negative press, GM sent all of the teams the front end of the Captiva! I joined the team for the last year of competition (2010-2011), and did my fair share of wrench-twisting on one of those.

Good little SUV, honestly. We would throw it around on a regular basis, and it would take a punch. Nice ride, too.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,258 times
Best thing about Kaptiva is not having XM radio.

NOR sIRUS.

Hate idea of a subscription or prepaid options not wanted.

Almost got the Vue but it kept changing suppliers too often.

But Captiva seems to be free from BS extras. No Radar, no Nav,
no bluetooth, no rainsensors, no heated side mirrors, no tvs,
no auto dimmers, .... a driver's vehicle.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,476,484 times
Default the new Chevy SUV you've never heard of...the Captiva

It's a rebadged Saturn Vue. Nothing to get excited about.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 AM

8,239 posts, read 10,779,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOxm View Post
Best thing about Kaptiva is not having XM radio.

NOR sIRUS.

Hate idea of a subscription or prepaid options not wanted.

Almost got the Vue but it kept changing suppliers too often.

But Captiva seems to be free from BS extras. No Radar, no Nav,
no bluetooth, no rainsensors, no heated side mirrors, no tvs,
no auto dimmers, .... a driver's vehicle.
Always makes me laugh when people look down their nose at people with bluetooth as something they simply dont need in their car and then there they are with a phone glued to their head running me off the road because they cant see me.

That said, the Captiva has bluetooth and satellite radio available.

It's a cute little mini-SUV but let's not make it more than it is; a simple people mover/grocery-getter.

Hardly a "driver's car"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC