Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,671,248 times

Advertisements

My poor little car is still running and usually gets me everywhere I need to go but my son in law drives it to work sometimes and has to drive 1 hour one way.
Anyway, after he got home yesterday, (I babysit my grandchildren) I got in the car to go home and it started right up but then died. It kept doing this over and over, so I spent the night there and in the morning it was back to running fine again as if nothing was wrong.
I called a mechanic and he said there is no sense bringing it in if it is not doing it because he will not be able to find the problem.
So now I am a nervous wreck wondering if I will break down in traffic or get stranded somewhere.
Does anybody know what would cause this?
It would start right up, run kind of weak for about a second and then just fade away. It wasn't damp or raining.
Thank you for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,421,572 times
Need to know your climate/location.

With a car that just came in from an hour's run, it's possible that the car was vapor locked due to a warm(er) day and still having a local winter fuel blend targeted for cold temps.

What is significant is that the car started and ran just fine after a cool-down cycle. It's entirely possible that it may have started and run just fine after only an hour or so after you'd decided to spend the night there.

I've seen this vapor locking problem surface with a number of vehicles in the last few weeks.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,850,566 times
When it runs weak for a minute, does it just idle rough and then clear up?

The last time the oil was changed was there any antifreeze found in the oil?

I ask because I had a '95 Cavalier once that would get antifreeze in one of the cylinders due to a crack in the head between the intake and exhaust valve. It would cause the car to idle rough in the morning but it would clear up almost immediatley.

From what I learned, the Cavaliers built in '95 were notorious for this issue, along with an issue of gasket issues caused by Dex Cool.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Need to know your climate/location.

With a car that just came in from an hour's run, it's possible that the car was vapor locked due to a warm(er) day and still having a local winter fuel blend targeted for cold temps.

What is significant is that the car started and ran just fine after a cool-down cycle. It's entirely possible that it may have started and run just fine after only an hour or so after you'd decided to spend the night there.

I've seen this vapor locking problem surface with a number of vehicles in the last few weeks.
I live in Chicago and we were in the 80's all week. It got up to 86 that day.
The gas tank was past full when he got home so he must have just filled it. I don't know what kind of gas he used.
I hope this is what happened.
Thanks, I didn't know they changed the mixture of the gas according to the weather but I think we hit a record for the highest temp on that date.
Thank you!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
When it runs weak for a minute, does it just idle rough and then clear up?

The last time the oil was changed was there any antifreeze found in the oil?

I ask because I had a '95 Cavalier once that would get antifreeze in one of the cylinders due to a crack in the head between the intake and exhaust valve. It would cause the car to idle rough in the morning but it would clear up almost immediatley.

From what I learned, the Cavaliers built in '95 were notorious for this issue, along with an issue of gasket issues caused by Dex Cool.
No, it never idles rough but I will be on the lookout for this problem, thanks.
I hope I escape this one but I have had this clicking sound coming from the engine for a year now but the mechanic says it could run a long time with this problem.
I am going on a hope and a prayer at this point but everything else works and the car runs very good except for the new problem and the clicking.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,796 times
My 95 cavalier keep dieing when I come to a stop then it starts Right up but when I put it in geer it dieds and keep during it over and over I wat adout 40 min and I can go again I need feedback if any one can help me

Old 05-16-2014, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,796 times
My 95 cavalier keep dieing when I come to a stop then it starts Right up but when I put it in geer it dieds and keep during it over and over I wat adout 40 min and I can go again I need feed back if any one can help me

Old 05-16-2014, 08:01 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,916,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad 2014 View Post
My 95 cavalier keep dieing when I come to a stop then it starts Right up but when I put it in geer it dieds and keep during it over and over I wat adout 40 min and I can go again I need feed back if any one can help me
Maybe a sticking torque converter clutch solenoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC