Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,657,369 times

Advertisements

I am not able to get a new car right now.
I have had a lot of work done because the mechanic kept telling me the engine was very good. I noticed a clicking sound and went to a new mechanic that told me it was a lifter and it was in the engine so he said just drive it as long as I can. I wanted to be sure so I went to another mechanic that said you can drive these cars with a bad lifter for quite some time and said to put in synthetic oil and that might help.
Just wondering what I should do, I think I need brakes now. Should I risk putting in more money or just start taking 4 buses a day???
Any opinions would be appreciated.
It has 90,000 miles.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,563 times
Personally, I wouldn't put a whole lot of time or money into a 1995 Cavalier. Live with the engine noise as long as you can and the car holds up.

In the meantime, save some pennies and consider a newer, used vehicle sometime down the road.

Now, brakes are a different story. That's a regular maintenance item - you wouldn't buy a new car because the brakes are bad. Have them checked and get them fixed.

Just my two cents worth.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:23 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,343 times
Seafoam should free up that sticky lifter. Risoline works as well.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:28 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Seafoam should free up that sticky lifter. Risoline works as well.
Good point - well worth the try.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:37 AM

Do I go to the mechanic and ask him to use the Sea Foam or do I do this myself? I'm not very good with cars and don't really know what I am doing. The first mechanic said to start using synthetic oil, should I do that too?
Thanks,

Old 10-18-2011, 06:29 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Do I go to the mechanic and ask him to use the Sea Foam or do I do this myself? I'm not very good with cars and don't really know what I am doing. The first mechanic said to start using synthetic oil, should I do that too?
Thanks,
There are two methods of sea foam delivery.... you could just pour 1/2 bottle in your tank or it can be delivered via the Vacuum line directly and a procedure must be followed.

Why don't you offer your mechanic about $20.00 to do it for you through the vacuum line.... otherwise DIY

You could find someone on craigslist to do this and negotiate, just make sure they are ASE or have experience

Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,879,478 times
Won't help a noisy lifter if you pour it into the gas tank.

Add it to the oil.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,787,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Personally, I wouldn't put a whole lot of time or money into a 1995 Cavalier. Live with the engine noise as long as you can and the car holds up.

In the meantime, save some pennies and consider a newer, used vehicle sometime down the road.

Now, brakes are a different story. That's a regular maintenance item - you wouldn't buy a new car because the brakes are bad. Have them checked and get them fixed.

Just my two cents worth.

I agree. Fix the brakes, that's a safety issue. But the lifter....drive it as is....also watch out for heads cracking on those cars. I had a 1995 Cavalier once, it had a crack in the head between the intake and exhaust valve. Ran ok but would fill the cylinder with coolant when not running. Eventually the coolant made it's way into the crankcase. Oil changes were more common, as I was also draining coolant out with dirty oil. Eventually the oil light would flicker....most likely the bearings were worn due to thinning of oil from coolant. That's when i threw in the towel and sold car for parts on eBay.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I agree. Fix the brakes, that's a safety issue. But the lifter....drive it as is....also watch out for heads cracking on those cars. I had a 1995 Cavalier once, it had a crack in the head between the intake and exhaust valve. Ran ok but would fill the cylinder with coolant when not running. Eventually the coolant made it's way into the crankcase. Oil changes were more common, as I was also draining coolant out with dirty oil. Eventually the oil light would flicker....most likely the bearings were worn due to thinning of oil from coolant. That's when i threw in the towel and sold car for parts on eBay.
Thanks everybody.
If it is not one thing, it is another. I had the breaks fixed and 300.00 later, they feel the same to me. I honestly don't know what to think anymore. He adjusted the back breaks and changed the rotors on the front, feels the same.
As far as coolant leaking into the oil, I hope not but I do have to add coolant 2 or 3 times a year. It usually takes about 3/4 of the normal size coolant container for the year. Is that normal or should I be worrying about that too.
Thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 06:14 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,787,024 times
What did you have done to the brakes?

If your pads and shoes were almost down to the linings (where they make the 'cricket' sounds) and you had them replaced with stock replacements, you may not feel much of a difference.

Now if there was air in the lines (would make the pedal feel spongy) and you had the air bled out, that would make a difference.

Or if you had bigger rotors installed with better biting pads (used on performance cars) then you might feel a difference.

But as long as the car stops on a dime, you should be ok.

As for your coolant loss, yes you might want to look into where it's going. I believe your car used the orange antifreeze known as Dex Cool (or Dex Clog to the many critics)...it's known to eat away engine gaskets and gel up in the radiator, causing all sorts of issues. It was a very common issue with GM vehicles of the mid to late 90's.

Check your oil often. If it begins to show signs of milkshake on the dipstick, or if you notice water coming out of the oil pan during an oil change, it indicates you have a blown head gasket or you might have (like in my case), a cracked head that allows coolant to enter when the engine is not running.

Otherwise it could be a leak from a radiator hose, the radiator or even the heater core - which if it's the latter, you will know the first time you turn on your heater, and smell a sweet smell, followed by possible fogging of the windows that is hard to clean off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive