Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 04:32 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Motor Trend's site is asking opinion on if the Cruze should have had an SS model. I don't think it needs an SS model. Performance compact models aren't big sellers. They're strictly low volume sales to a small market that can afford them and want them over similiarly priced midsize sedans. The RS appearance package is nice but is only appearance. I think they should drop the 1.8L base engine making the 1.4L turbo the base engine. Make the Malibu's base engine the optional engine with the current RS appearance package standard or an option for this engine only. If they choose to make an SS model, use GM's 2.0L turbo with manual transmission and sport tuned suspension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
The Mazdaspeed3 and GTI seem to be selling well. I'd like to see another Cavalier SS as the last one was quite a car. Its one major weakness was the interior which the current Cavalier gets right. With the Jetta/Golf going decidedly downmarket, I see an opening for a Cavalier SS. GM sees that opening that the 3 series has left since BMW went the Buick direction and we already know they can pull off it off performance-wise.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:03 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Would it be better as a two door hatch, four door hatch, or keep the same body? It would be more cost effective to keep the same body.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:18 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The Mazdaspeed3 and GTI seem to be selling well. I'd like to see another Cavalier SS as the last one was quite a car. Its one major weakness was the interior which the current Cavalier gets right. With the Jetta/Golf going decidedly downmarket, I see an opening for a Cavalier SS. GM sees that opening that the 3 series has left since BMW went the Buick direction and we already know they can pull off it off performance-wise.
Current Cavalier?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I am sure he meant cobalt...

I say yes. I actually vote any car sold to young people should come in a performance option. If they get it or not, the apperance of it being sporty and youthful is always good.

Tweak the apperance, throw in a bigger engine already offered in something else, have fun.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 PM

6 posts, read 16,735 times
Default Hmmm

no. big mistake . they should have never made the cobalt ss. its just non sense, yet alone the trailblazer ss. i was like really!? a sport packaged SUV. a roll over waiting to happen. Its really nice they offered but really wasn't necessary.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Cruze has a 4 door hatchback in Europe, they should have one here. I see a lot of Pontiac Vibes around and imagine they would be similar.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Cruze competes in BTCC so to me it is a no brainer to offer a performance model. I wouldn't mind them coming up with something else to call it because I don't think the "SS" should ever be on anything FWD. But if the performance was that good, I'd be okay with it.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 AM

707 posts, read 1,407,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Cruze competes in BTCC so to me it is a no brainer to offer a performance model. I wouldn't mind them coming up with something else to call it because I don't think the "SS" should ever be on anything FWD. But if the performance was that good, I'd be okay with it.
+1 Change the name of the performance model but still offer it, if you build it they will sell for sure, if its well made of course.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerimar89 View Post
no. big mistake . they should have never made the cobalt ss. its just non sense, yet alone the trailblazer ss. i was like really!? a sport packaged SUV. a roll over waiting to happen. Its really nice they offered but really wasn't necessary.

That is your opinion, I also know performance car enthusiusts, that use a TB SS to tow their race car, drive in snow, and haul their families. They also use there cobalt SS as a Daily driver with a little passion.

Its just an option, doesn't affect lower models just provides more options.

I am not saying redesign the whole car, just add a current engine option into it. Like they did the TBSS, threw an LS2, in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC