Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I'd love to see the Acura CSX brought to America. I wouldn't buy one, but I do like them. I also liked the Cimarron and Infiniti G20. I do not equate size with quality or luxury. Automotive luxury means nothing to me; I don't even want power windows. All I'm saying is that if I can buy an Impala or a Silverado Work Truck for under $20K (heavily discounted) why would I buy a Cruze for $21K? I know the Impala is a has been; it's just a lot more car for the same money. The Cobalt makes sense at $14K but a $21K...Chevrolet... in that size class? (Then again, my free association with the Chevy name brings to mind such classics as the Citation and Corsica.)
ohh man I remember the Cimarron it was a rebadged 80's chevy cavalier. they cost almost twice as much but looked pretty much the same and had the same motors and drivetrain

caddilac Cimarron (above)

chevy cavalier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 07:51 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
I actually like it, and until lately I haven't been much of a GM fan. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the article, but are other configurations going to offered? After owning hatchbacks and a wagon, it's hard for me to consider anything else. I would love to have a 3 or 5-door version of this car. Four-door sedan? Not so much.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:50 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,810 times
There's been a spy shot or two of a hatchback, with a Buick nameplate. There is/was a Mazda5-type vehicle under development named the Orlando, which I'm not sure if they're going to offer here at this point. It may be a good idea, since there's little available from a domestic automaker sizewise between a small SUV like a Patriot or an Escape and a beached whale like the Traverse or a Chrysler minivan.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times
As someone who 'stole' a brand new 2007 Elantra for $4,600 under sticker and remains very happy with it, suffice it to say that the Cruze is an extremely important car for GM, as opposed to that $41,000 Volt, which has never made any sense whatsoever, but the treehuggers out there will love it.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,991 times
Quote:
They really need a Buick version. I saw a spy shot somewhere of a Buick hatchback. The uplevel Cruzes are far too nice for a small Chevy. It's a nice car but there's no way in h-e-double hockey sticks I'd spend that much on a compact Chevy, without the heavy discounting GM is known for. MSRP starts at $17K, don't know what it has on it for that money though. If they don't discount much I think it's going to be a tough sell, considering how downright cheap Cobalts can get nowadays.
I, too think that they are pricing the new Cruze too high compared to the competition. I've even told Chevy that on the Facebook page for the Cruze. Their reply was that if you compare the Cruze's features to those being offered by the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla, you are getting a better value dollar for dollar with the Cruze.

As far as the Cobalt is concerned, I've never been a big fan of it. I know there are people out there that love them, and claim they've never had any problems with theirs, but Consumer Reports has it on their list of worst used cars to buy, and I tend to agree with their evaluations of cars.

Quote:
There's been a spy shot or two of a hatchback, with a Buick nameplate. There is/was a Mazda5-type vehicle under development named the Orlando, which I'm not sure if they're going to offer here at this point. It may be a good idea, since there's little available from a domestic automaker sizewise between a small SUV like a Patriot or an Escape and a beached whale like the Traverse or a Chrysler minivan.
I am 99% certain that I read in Motor Trend that the Orlando has been scrubbed in favor of the popular redesigned Equinox. It seemed like overkill to me anyway, since they already offer the Equinox in the small SUV segment, the new Traverse as a mid-size SUV, and then the Tahoe and Suburban as large SUVs. How many models of SUVs does one company need to offer?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:35 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times
[quote=manyroads;15442386]I, too think that they are pricing the new Cruze too high compared to the competition. I've even told Chevy that on the Facebook page for the Cruze. Their reply was that if you compare the Cruze's features to those being offered by the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla, you are getting a better value dollar for dollar with the Cruze.

As far as the Cobalt is concerned, I've never been a big fan of it. I know there are people out there that love them, and claim they've never had any problems with theirs, but Consumer Reports has it on their list of worst used cars to buy, and I tend to agree with their evaluations of cars.

I am 99% certain that I read in Motor Trend that the Orlando has been scrubbed in favor of the popular redesigned Equinox. It seemed like overkill to me anyway, since they already offer the Equinox in the small SUV segment, the new Traverse as a mid-size SUV, and then the Tahoe and Suburban as large SUVs. How many models of SUVs does one company need to offer?[/quote]
you got to remember SUV's have been the big 3's bread and butter for the last 20 years and one of the things they made the most money on each sale.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 AM

474 posts, read 905,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't know that they correlate size with quality or luxury, but Americans do associate it with utility, and in the alternative we also associate price with performance. And at that price tag, we are accustomed to getting more performance or more utility. But now we want quality too. Something has to give, and I don't know if American car buyers have come to terms with that just yet.
The Mini Cooper is proof that Americans will pay premium $ for a small car.

I do not however believe they are ready yet to pay premium for a GM small car - which have been basically bad for twenty years. When the Cruze earns a reputation over a few years - GM can move the size up in price and content.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
The Mini Cooper is proof that Americans will pay premium $ for a small car.

I do not however believe they are ready yet to pay premium for a GM small car - which have been basically bad for twenty years. When the Cruze earns a reputation over a few years - GM can move the size up in price and content.
More accurately, the Mini is proof that there's a niche market for a premium small car, but it doesn't prove that enough Americans are willing to pay a premium price for a bread-and-butter car that the manufacturer is hoping to sell by the hundreds of thousands.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:23 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
More accurately, the Mini is proof that there's a niche market for a premium small car, but it doesn't prove that enough Americans are willing to pay a premium price for a bread-and-butter car that the manufacturer is hoping to sell by the hundreds of thousands.
Remember the Acura Civic (RSX) or the Infiniti Sentra (G20)

Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
IMO the RSX was a well-built car that more-or-less was worth its asking price, at least for the Type S. The G20, on the other hand, was an embarrassment -- the Cadillac Cimmaron of Infinitis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC