Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 AM

172 posts, read 471,471 times

Advertisements

I love Chattanooga but it is just too far away from everyone we know. In your opinion, what towns are most similar to Chattanooga? We love the size, scenic views, access to fantastic outdoor fun, great weather, affordable housing and all the great activities and the downtown too. Would love to move there but feel like we would miss family too much. Currently, we have family in Michigan, Northern Kentucky, Arizona, Chicago and California. Any thoughts on where the "twin" of Chattanooga is? Being witin 4-6 hours of some family is a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 12:40 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,899 times
That's a tough question that I'll have to put some thought into.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:04 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,581 times
While I wouldn't call it a twin, Louisville KY would be a decent, yet bigger, option. Great downtown, lots to do (Six Flags, zoo, horse racing, UL Cardinal games) somewhat scenic and much closer to NOKY, Chicago and Michigan.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:18 PM

172 posts, read 471,471 times
I've heard a lot of great things about Louisville. We are actually going there for a visit in the next few months. It's on the list. I'm a little concerned about the size but it sounds like it is worth a look

Old 01-19-2010, 05:59 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,877,153 times
Question Columbia ,S.C.

AJ: You really have family spread out. Sounds like you need a airport close by. . For others driving by we stayed in COLUMBIA, SOuth Carolina recently.

.. It is layed out & being renewed identical to Chattanooga. Believe some of the loft / condo developers must be doing some of the same waterfront brick bldgs. . There are bike paths being extended along the river . A
pedistrian bridge over the waterfalls. . RailRoad tracks thru some old stone streets. .A big Marriott hotel brick converted ,just like the Choo-Choo Holiday inn.
.... Expressway roads being enlarged, a auto maker (KIA) moving in, etc.
Also right on four lane road rt # 27 even. A smaller college right downtown. . A military base , Ft Benning, should be expanding with other base consolidate up north.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 AM

340 posts, read 1,512,599 times
We're from Indiana and have a lot of knowledge on those Northern cities, so I have a couple suggestions. . .

I'd try Milwaukee, a lovely smaller city right on Lake Michigan about 1.5 hours of Chi-town. Awesome festival in the summer, close to outdoor activities, fine dining, college town. Rated as a top city for living.

Also in Wisconsin is Madison, a very popular college town that is rated highly for living and activities.

I'd also look at South Bend, Indiana. Home of Notre Dame, a smaller but nice city between Chicago and sitting on the Michigan border. Close to Indiana dunes, plenty of activities close by, Chicago not very far. Plenty to do, and if you like football . . .

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,899 times
According to Volkswagen our sister town is Wolfsburg, Germany

Old 01-21-2010, 05:04 AM

849 posts, read 2,955,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
I've heard a lot of great things about Louisville. We are actually going there for a visit in the next few months. It's on the list. I'm a little concerned about the size but it sounds like it is worth a look
We lived in Lousiville back in the late 80's to early 90's and did not find it to be similiar to Chattanooga. Our impression of Louisville at the time? The positivies, an absolute perfect 4 seasons of weather. Each season was distinct and not over the top. Lots of beautiful scenery and parks within a 20 minute drive outside of the city. Apartments and homes were very affordable. Adequate shopping, though we didn't have a lot of money to spend then being a young couple with a newborn. Also, one huge positive for Louisville was its location. Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Nashville - were all within a half days drive. The negative, not a lot of entertainment options apart from horse racing and Louisville basketball (which is a religion by the way!), and to a smaller degree the football - which at the time was coached by the great Howard Shnellenberger. Downtown was scary and bleak, I would just describe it as gray. I would hope that it has seen the same revitilization that Chattanooga has gone through, but I haven't returned since so I do not know. But, being Chattanooga infants we were not here to see the change that has occurred in the last 20 years that I hear so many talk about. We just reap the benefits that it is such a great spot now, and the future is certainly looking brighter.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:45 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
We lived in Lousiville back in the late 80's Downtown was scary and bleak, I would just describe it as gray. I would hope that it has seen the same revitilization that Chattanooga has gone through, but I haven't returned since so I do not know.
Hey GB34, yes it has improved. It has great bikes paths and a riverwalk area, plus Louisville Slugger museum and a Hard Rock Cafe. The Bats (minor league baseball) have a nice stadium on the river where the annual airshow is held. You are right, back in the 80's (kinda like Chatt) it had little going for it. Times have, thankfully, changed.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 PM

849 posts, read 2,955,826 times
Well then, I will have to make it back through there at some point. Thanks so much for the update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga