Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,597 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity in both moving my business.
Which is more sophisticated in terms of services?

More sushi than barbecue? More book stores than bars?

More educated demographic?

More upscale housing?
More growth in the future?
Where is the state placing its bets?

CHat got VW recently but before that I heard it was in trouble growth wise - saw net fewer population since 2000.

Johnson City? Don't know...

ANy screaming differences ie air quality? local economy?

House appreciation - which is better?

And finally, which has lower cost of living?

Or - are either places not quite right and I should be looking in________?
(Maryville, Kingston, Greenville,Bristol, etc)

Thanks!

12b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I'm actually bumping this thread...I recently visited Chattanooga and loved it.

I didn't get a chance to visit Johnson City...actually I didn't know much about it at all, and went north from Asheville and saw it from the highway in the evening, with gorgeous lights sprinkled about everywhere. It looked like a very appealing location.

That being said, I wanted to get much further into Viriginia on my trip, and it was dusk, and I made a choice to keep driving northward. Kinda regret not getting off that highway.

Curious what JC has to offer...and what people might say about JC compared to say Chattanooga and Asheville, two cities that I was able to visit - and I liked both of them quite a bit.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:33 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
chattanooga. to me, has character that johnson city does not have, due to chattanooga's size alone. also, i like the location of chattanooga situated around the river and the hilly and scattered areas of the town. i think most of tn residents think no further than knoxville and the smokey mountains, when they think of tn. it is as if the state goes right into virginia when you pass the knoxville area. just one disadvantage of a state that is over 500 miles in length, and w/out significant cities that are large enough to attract attention by the majority of its population. i wish ashville, nc belonged to tn. sophisticated, a little cosmopolitan, arts community, educated population, and beautiful geographical surroundings.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:08 AM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i wish ashville, nc belonged to tn. sophisticated, a little cosmopolitan, arts community, educated population, and beautiful geographical surroundings.
Sigh me too. Oh well, it's a reasonably short and pretty drive.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:24 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
chattanooga. to me, has character that johnson city does not have, due to chattanooga's size alone. also, i like the location of chattanooga situated around the river and the hilly and scattered areas of the town. i think most of tn residents think no further than knoxville and the smokey mountains, when they think of tn. it is as if the state goes right into virginia when you pass the knoxville area. just one disadvantage of a state that is over 500 miles in length, and w/out significant cities that are large enough to attract attention by the majority of its population. i wish ashville, nc belonged to tn. sophisticated, a little cosmopolitan, arts community, educated population, and beautiful geographical surroundings.
I like Asheville as well! I also liked the feel of Chattanooga though. I completely missed seeing Johnson City and Knoxville.

Is Chattanooga about as close as you can get 'in the positivies' of Asheville of the three? I liked the feel of Chattanooga as well - the bridges, the views, the downtown, etc.

Seems like politically I'd prefer Asheville for the same reasons as you, but with the higher prices in NC, and the more jobs in TN, I am wondering if the same kind of people attracted to Asheville, might later look to the best of the three cities in eastern TN in the future... whichever the best of the 3 might be, for a person who would ordinarly be attracted to Western NC.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:52 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
the smokey mountains creates its own economy, which, imo, probably siphons off some of knoxville's attraction. an extra overnight stay for a family of two adults and two children, dinner out, perhaps a movie, and you add a good deal to a 6 or 7 day vacation. again, in jc's situation, it is in direct competition w/ the market of metropolitan knoxville and the metropolitan market of ashville. to me, as someone who loves nature, hills, mountains, streams, and varied wildlife, i would see that smaller area as a perfect blend for living. i would like to own about 5 acres of ground, heavily forested, a creek, and a cottage built from the early to mid 1920's. interstates and no doubt scenic routes, as you drive year round to the metro of your choice---all w/in 2 hours. to me, that is living year round spring, summer, fall, and even winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga