Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 AM

172 posts, read 471,290 times

Advertisements

hey GB34, thanks for your take on Louisville. Since you have lived in both places, can you tell me what your thoughts are of Chattanooga. We are a young family in our early 30's with kids under 5. If you read my original post you will see what we are looking for. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on Tenn. and Chatt in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
Well then, I will have to make it back through there at some point. Thanks so much for the update.
You have way the wrong idea of Louisville. Louisville is a big city compared to Chattanooga. Louisville is more on the level of Memphis, and almost like nashville in terms of vibrancy. You will not find streets and neighborhoods like 4th street, frankfort ave, main street, and bardstown road in Chattanooga. I did hear Louisville had some pretty bleak times in the 1980's, but come on, it's twice as big as Chattanooga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmarian View Post
We're from Indiana and have a lot of knowledge on those Northern cities, so I have a couple suggestions. . .

I'd try Milwaukee, a lovely smaller city right on Lake Michigan about 1.5 hours of Chi-town. Awesome festival in the summer, close to outdoor activities, fine dining, college town. Rated as a top city for living.

Also in Wisconsin is Madison, a very popular college town that is rated highly for living and activities.

I'd also look at South Bend, Indiana. Home of Notre Dame, a smaller but nice city between Chicago and sitting on the Michigan border. Close to Indiana dunes, plenty of activities close by, Chicago not very far. Plenty to do, and if you like football . . .

Good luck.
Talk about a dump...that is South Bend. I lived there for four years and return every year for ND football games. It has not changed a cent. ND campus is immaculate but there is zero redeeming value in the rest of the city besides its proximity to Chicago. Not a nice place. Given the OP's criteria, he should look at Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville, and perhaps, Bloomington, IN if he is more inclined to like small towns. I also agree Chattanooga is great, but like Bloomington, it is pretty small.

He could consider Chicago suburbs. Lake County north of Chicago is where I grew up and it is great. I also love Madison and Milwaukee. Milwaukee is actually a lot like Louisville. Mid sized city with some big city amenties, has a gritty feel in parts but great history and urbanity. People who enjoy wide avenue strip mall laden sunbelt towns do not enjoy these type of urban cities, however.

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-23-2010 at 11:13 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 01:55 AM

19 posts, read 49,798 times
In 2008 I lived in Columbia SC, after moving from Chattanooga, and I can't say there is much comparison.

There is a river that runs through downtown Columbia. They have built a makeshift riverwalk that floods out during heavy rains. The walkways wind through trees that tower over you, if you like walking through a jungle this is for you. The river is full of rocks so the only boaters you see are frustrated kayakers.

Topographically Columbia is flat. No hills, or plateaus off in the distance, like Chattanooga has.

Downtown Columbia is not a place I would recommend visiting on the weekend. The five points area is near USC and it is a mecca for college students who go there and destroy their livers.

Chattanooga has Coolidge Park, the Aquarium, and other attractions to visit. The northshore area is a nice place to walk around, little Buckhead as it's been nicknamed.

I was happy to move back to Chattanooga after finishing school. I admit I'm pretty biased, but I've traveled all through the southeast and I feel that Chattanooga is the best all around city of it's size.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
hey GB34, thanks for your take on Louisville. Since you have lived in both places, can you tell me what your thoughts are of Chattanooga. We are a young family in our early 30's with kids under 5. If you read my original post you will see what we are looking for. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on Tenn. and Chatt in general.
Wow, I don't think I am a real expert at that age group anymore. My wife and I have two sons 22 and 20, they were under 5 a lifetime ago. I would open up your question to the other posters in this forum...maybe they'll read this and rescue me!

I will say that Chattanooga is a wonderfully friendly place, has lots to do for your age group down by the river and throughout downtown. There are a lot of free concerts which bring in the adults (which bring the children ) and even dogs. Combine the urban activities with the wilderness activities of tubing, white water rafting, hiking, biking, geo-caching (there is a whole thread on that one), and camping, all within 45 minutes of the city. Lots of fairs and festivals as well. You might do a little more searching on this forum to see what the under 10 set is doing out there, there has been a lot of discussion over time on this subject with families visiting the area.

So a quick shout out to the parents of the younger crowd. What else?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Actually, Charleston West Virginia is a near twin to Chattanooga in some ways. Similar size. Sits on the banks of a river, in a valley, surrounded by mountains. Has a main street where there was an old Woolworths, that has a black iron clock in front of it (just like in 'Nooga), and is reasonably close to Northern Kentucky (4 hours to Louisville). That being said though, Chattanooga is only about 5 hours to Louisville, so you're not really that much closer. Still, in terms of LOOKS and FEEL (minus the Aquarium and tourists though), Charleston is close...

Old 01-28-2010, 06:14 PM

172 posts, read 471,290 times
good suggestions. is this a pic of Chatt?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
good suggestions. is this a pic of Chatt?
The photo I posted above is of Charleston, WV to illustrate the similarities (geography, size, layout, etc).

Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM

137 posts, read 430,975 times
Quote:
Being witin 4-6 hours of some family is a must.
Chattanooga is within five or six hours of Northern Kentucky, depending on the specific location in Northern Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga