Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmarian View Post
St Elmo might have good views but I'd recommend researching other aspects of the area carefully before choosing to move there.
true dat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 PM

75 posts, read 320,692 times
Thanks for posting the video! I really like the style of the home too, but I take it it's not a great street to live on?

I will be sure to check out Mountain Creek Rd while I'm there too. Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyP View Post
Thanks for posting the video! I really like the style of the home too, but I take it it's not a great street to live on?

I will be sure to check out Mountain Creek Rd while I'm there too. Thanks for the tip!
St Elmo is the neighborhood that everyone gets intrigued by. It's highly recommended to check it out for yourself before making a decisions.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 PM

7 posts, read 24,917 times
If you don't mind being 'out' a little more, check out the Sequatchie Valley area or Dunlap. It's 45 minutes away, but is much more 'mountainous'.

Chattanooga has some nice mountains, but as stated...land near the city isn't cheap. And land in the city will cost you about 70% more in city taxes each year. Consider your goals and talk to a realtor here. They'll be able to help you find what you're looking for.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,970 times
Quote:
St Elmo might have good views but I'd recommend researching other aspects of the area carefully before choosing to move there.
I agree. A friend of mine had a gun pulled on him in St. Elmo. The police have been trying to clean up the area. I think that St. Elmo is going to be the next North Chatt, but it may take a while.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 PM

340 posts, read 1,511,751 times
You could be right, but I think it is a function of population. As the city grows housing will become more expensive the closer you are to the city, which will make redoing houses a good value. If the VW thing really takes off you might see some additional interest in areas like this due to the increased price pressure. However right now there isn't a compelling reason to buy in that area unless you just want to be a pioneer. . . it could be 5 or more years to see a good return.

We drove through an area called Ferger Place off Main street this past weekend, and was impressed by the nice little community. We were driving home from Niedlove's and were like "huh, what's that?" If I was looking for a cool fixer upper I'd definitely look there, not Highland Park or St Elmo. It's a really small community, but we notice a couple stately homes for sale with several having obviously been redone. With only two entrances off Main it seemed much more safe to me.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:29 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,299 times
Quote:
We drove through an area called Ferger Place off Main street this past weekend, and was impressed by the nice little community. We were driving home from Niedlove's and were like "huh, what's that?" If I was looking for a cool fixer upper I'd definitely look there, not Highland Park or St Elmo. It's a really small community, but we notice a couple stately homes for sale with several having obviously been redone. With only two entrances off Main it seemed much more safe to me.
Hey Das don't you LOVE Ferger Place? Fantastic homes right there in a funky area of town.

Next time you are by Niedlove's hang a left (if heading towards town) on Jefferson, another cute little spot in an iffy area. Cool houses too

Old 06-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Southside is picking up steam as the next trendy/cool/hip area to be in. Apparently, St Elmo has been "up & coming" for 10-15 years but hasn't quite achieved total harmony.

Southside Chattanooga
MAINx24 2008 - A 24 Hour Celebration of Main Street Chattanooga Tennessee

Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,186 times
I don't see why people are all scared of St Elmo. My boss lives there and he says it's changed dramatically in the last 3 years. Everyone I've dealt with that lives in there have been professional, reasonable people. Cool stores, turn of the century homes priced around 100k, incredible views. Yes, there are some trashy unkept homes, probably some trashy people, and I'm not too crazy about the traffic/road situation down there, but all in all I think it's a great, up-and-coming area. I'd live there.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,154 times
Default Closest Mountains

One area you might want to check out for Mountain living is the Montlake Golf Course area of Soddy Daisy. It is on Mowbray mountain you get more for your money than on Signal Mountain or Lookout Mountain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga