Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 AM

21 posts, read 59,866 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are going to be stopping in town this evening (Tuesday) for a day-and-a-half or so, as part of a road trip we're doing through Tennessee and neighbouring states.

We've heard great things, but nobody knows a city better than the locals, so a couple of quick questions:

1.) With only one full day there, what's the best way to experience the surrounding area (Lookout Mountain, etc), without getting into anything super-touristy? We're reasonably young (late 20s) and don't have kids, so nothing too family-oriented is necessary.

2.) What are the best areas of the city to stroll through to get a feel for its personality?

3.) Are there any bars with some character we can go for a drink in the evening? (I know it's mid-week, so probably quite quiet, but a bit of Tennessee whiskey at the end of the day can't hurt.)

Thanks in advance for your help. And yes...we're planning to go for barbecue. I just didn't ask about it because I can see there's already been lots of heated debate on that issue on other posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,299 times
*whisper* Sticky Fingers *whisper* lol

I would park at the ChooChoo and catch the electric shuttle for a cruise around downtown and across the river to North Chattanooga. There are a few cute shops there to check out. You will pass Jack's Alley which is a pretty cool place to hang out. Maybe try the Terminal The Terminal Brewhouse right by the ChooChoo for dinner and a drink. I hear it's pretty busy so maybe your visit falling on a week day is a good thing

Old 04-14-2009, 11:22 AM

340 posts, read 1,511,751 times
APR22, go up Lookout following the signs for Ruby Falls (the Ochs Highway). Keep going (past Ruby) to the top of LM and follow the signs to Point Park. This place is a small commemorative park at the very northern tip of the mountain. It has a stunning view of the city and valley below and has some cool Civil War stuff to check out (cannons, statues). It's usually not crowded there at all. Then, from inside the park, take the steps at the point down to a trail. Follow it (signs mark the way) about 1 mile to Sunset Rock. Great short hike, not at all touristy, and some of the best vantage points in Chattanooga. Then, walk back. It's easy to do in maybe an hour or two depending on how long you linger. Sunset Rock / Point Park are places we always take our relatives, everyone always likes it.

One other secret place is the Racoon Mountain pumped storage facility which is awesome to visit as well. You'll think your at Hoover Dam (ok maybe not but it is really cool). It's a resevoir built by the TVA on top of a mountain across from Lookout. You can drive around it atop the the dam for a portion, there are tons of trails up there, and a beautiful overlook at the visitor's center. That is not touristy at all, no one knows about it or how cool it is unless they are local.

For a nice, non-touristy park in town, actually go to Coolidge Park (it is a bit touristy) on the N side of the Market Street Bridge. Walk under the Bridge and you are at Renaissance Park, which has a restored wetlands, wildflowers, and a great view of the city. It is natural and secluded in its own way. It is usually not too crowded and not that many people know about it even though it is right next to another big park (people thing the bridge ends things, its an interesting mental barrier). Then of course you need to walk over the pedestrian bridge which is just lovely.

For a drink I might suggest River House, on Frazier just East of the pedestrian bridge. It has a great deck overlooking the city and live music most nights. It's a nice little place with a local feel even though its in a popular area.

Last edited by dasmarian; 04-14-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 04-14-2009, 05:28 PM

137 posts, read 430,851 times
For Lookout Mountain I think you should hike from Point Park to Sunset Rock, as suggested, and maybe check out the Natural Rock Bridge as well. Then head down to Reflection Riding Arboretum for a wonderful walk, drive, or bike (it is absolutely wonderful on a bike). That's also a good place for a picnic. It's very historical (it's surrounded on three sides by the national military park) so you'll get even more of that. You could also walk or bike to Skyuka Springs, about four miles rountrip from the southern end of the riding. You can rent bikes from Suck Creek Cycles, I think.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 PM

21 posts, read 59,866 times
Thanks very much for the suggestions. Point Park was a great suggestion, and we really liked both the Terminal and River House. Actually, we really like the whole town - can see why it's gotten the positive buzz.

(Also, I can't compare it to the other barbecue places in town. But I can say that Hillbilly Willy's is outstanding.)

Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,299 times
*gasp* hillbilly willy's?? Kidding

Glad ya'll had fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga