Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 AM

6 posts, read 94,509 times

Advertisements

We're planning on moving from Charlotte, NC (sorry but 16 years is long enough... ) to the Chattanooga area, sometime in Late Feburary or late March, the sooner the better
We are a couple in our early 50's and have no children, I am a professional driver and my better half is a receptionist/dispatcher. We have 2 dogs and will need to get a house to rent.
Please tell us about which areas to stay away from when looking for a house, what are the rents like? Cost of living,cost of average electric bill, cable bill?
I think that about covers it.....
Thanks in advance.
Gary and Fran

Oh PS; Anyone that is thinking of moving to Charlotte, think again.....crime going up, state income taxes going up,

Last edited by The Sancman; 01-03-2007 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: added PS message
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 11:04 AM

One other question, does Tennessee have a transfer tax on vehicles? Like North Carolina if you bring a car from another state you pay extra$$$$ Friend of mine was going to bring her car from So Carolina and the state wanted an extra $2,000 on top of registration and plate fees, personal property tax.
Thanks again.
Gary and Fran

Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,462 times
Default Hamilton co retiree target

S: Most of you answers are on last few pages of this board. State now has Hamilton co as #8 of 9 target retiree regions, "RetireTenn.org " Do not believe impact fee on vehicles, do not bring vehicle if catilic convertor taken out of exhaust system. 1st stop will be EMISSION CENTER $10 cash only, no big bills, if vehicle newer than 1975. I do not prefer the I-75 corridor as accident almost everday. Electric about $30 /month with TVA Here. CAble
can get expensive, each room extra $, H.D-extra $, vcr option extra $ so just pick your package, some discount if add web pc.
Pick area for VIEW, waterfront, or mtn top for hiking, etc, or near CHURCH you will enjoy.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
S: Most of you answers are on last few pages of this board. State now has Hamilton co as #8 of 9 target retiree regions, "RetireTenn.org " Do not believe impact fee on vehicles, do not bring vehicle if catilic convertor taken out of exhaust system. 1st stop will be EMISSION CENTER $10 cash only, no big bills, if vehicle newer than 1975. I do not prefer the I-75 corridor as accident almost everday. Electric about $30 /month with TVA Here. CAble
can get expensive, each room extra $, H.D-extra $, vcr option extra $ so just pick your package, some discount if add web pc.
Pick area for VIEW, waterfront, or mtn top for hiking, etc, or near CHURCH you will enjoy.
Thank you for the reply.

Been reading the other postings here and doing what research I can from the internet, guess we'll have to make a trip or 2 over......
Any other info would be much appreciated.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
We moved here from Florida and did not pay a crazy tax on our cars. Wow! I can't believe North Carolina charges that! Thank goodness we didn't move there. We had considered it, but only briefly.

In fact, it seemed to be very inexpensive to register the cars. I know we were hurting for money at the time, and it was affordable.

Our electric bill is from $50 to $160, but we heat with that, also.

Chattanooga has Comcast.

We live in Knoxville, but vacationed in Chattanooga. It is where we originally planned on moving. It is a beautiful city.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:25 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Hiknapster, since you're familiar with the Knoxville area and the Chattanooga area, could you tell me which area has the nicest scenery? We like flowery scenery and plush green scenery. Hills are nice, too. Oh and palm trees, but I guess TN wouldn't have any.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
No, no, no! No palm trees!

I think Chattanooga is prettier. It has beautiful river scenery. The riverfront has been recently revitalized. Google Chattanooga. I think there is a website called Chattanoogafun. It should give you a good idea of the area.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:50 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,299 times
Default The 'Nooga It's all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Hiknapster, since you're familiar with the Knoxville area and the Chattanooga area, could you tell me which area has the nicest scenery? We like flowery scenery and plush green scenery. Hills are nice, too. Oh and palm trees, but I guess TN wouldn't have any.
Jammie, just about anywhere you chose will find you in a nice area. The mountaintops are just about the nicest anywhere for flora as there is less development. Native rhodies and dogwoods everywhere in the spring. As far palm trees, in Brainerd there is a HUGE orange one in front of Hooters. That's the best we can offer LOL

Old 01-08-2007, 06:59 PM

30 posts, read 116,879 times
As for knoxville, there is nothing better than Neyland Stadium in the fall...its on the river, and when the leaves turn and the orange is about... beautiful...

Old 01-21-2008, 06:15 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
it's great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga